Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Be prepared for the frigid cold!!!!!!! This is the one thing I cant get with in NY....and hopefully its not snowing when your there unless you like that type of thing. But otherwise youll have a wonderful time!!!!!
When I was there in December of 2007, it never snowed... but it did rain a LOT, which I love anyway, so I had a fine time. But it never snowed when i was there. Kinda a bummer, because I was hoping I'd get to see some snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
When I was there in December of 2007, it never snowed... but it did rain a LOT, which I love anyway, so I had a fine time. But it never snowed when i was there. Kinda a bummer, because I was hoping I'd get to see some snow.
I hate the snow(especially since I used to have to go to work in it or school which was a major trouble I guess if I was on vacton it wouldnt matter then).....lol...but I love NY at anytime of the year.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
How much snow would you say you get in Jan - Feb?
It's impossible to predict. The weather has been very odd and inconsistent in the last couple of years.

We didn't get much show last winter. The summer, however, has been unusually cool and wet.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's impossible to predict. The weather has been very odd and inconsistent in the last couple of years.

We didn't get much show last winter. The summer, however, has been unusually cool and wet.
We always get a ton of snow upstate, interesting that it differs so much down there.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
I am not worried about the snow or cold, I have a huge North Face Jacket that will keep me warm!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In December NYC doesn't usually get a lot of snow but this year might be an exception as we are having very strange weather this summer.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default snow

We got a lot of snow this past year....I had to shovel...so I remember clearly!

Snow is unpredictable.

Try ice-skating in central park in December.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
Cool Thanks! Any recommend any day trips? is there public transportation that goes in to New Jersey? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
There's plenty of public transportation to New Jersey, either bus or train, depending upon where you want to go in NJ.

There are also some great places in Westchester, Long Island, and CT that might be worth exploring for a day trip. Many areas have public transportation as they are major commuter routes.

There are also a number of bus coach day trips from the Port Authority.

What sort of day trips are you seeking? That can help to narrow down some recommendations.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Quote:
How much snow would you say you get in Jan - Feb?
Quote:
We always get a ton of snow upstate, interesting that it differs so much down there.
Statistically, February is the snowiest month, mostly because February to early March is the most likely time of year to get Nor'Easter storms. Because the overall totals are highly dependent on the number and intensity of East Coast storms, the seasonal snowfall total can vary.

"Normal" snow in NYC tends to be 1-3 nuisance inches that is typically very slushy and usually caused by low pressure off the coast. The big snowstorms (6+") are almost always the result of a more intense East Coast storm. The actual snowfall totals for an event can vary greatly across the metro area, with the areas North and Northeast of the city often getting more snow. This is because the low pressure systems to the east over the ocean rotate in a counter-clockwise direction and dump bands of snow. If the low is slightly further east (which happens less often), the city will get more snow, which can total more than a foot on rare occasions! It is difficult for forecasters to accurately predict the position of the storm, so we often get false alarms as well as some surprises.

Where you live Upstate, different factors (continental low pressure systems and lake effect) are the primary snow-makers. Here it is much more influenced by the ocean.

Sorry... maybe this was too much information. I'm a bit of a weather geek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City