Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,792 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered why dollar bills are not accepted on buses. Is there a reason for this other than the inability of fare boxes/drivers to make change. I'm curious because almost every other city, I've been on buses in accepts dollar bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Before the system used metrocards, you could pay with tokens, buses accepted dollar bills. When the system converted to metrocards, the slot used for the dollar bills was converted to accept metrocards. I guess they couldn't make another slot for bills as well!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,622 times
You couldn't use bills for a while, and I don't think they ever had a mechanism to count the bills before hand, the bus driver back then would just confirm the bill. Additionally he couldn't give change.

What the city wants to do however is get rid of the metrocard and replace it with that tap to go debit card service and metrocards designed to use that system. I wouldn't be suprised it they took out coins on buses. Something I'd wish they do is install bus shelters at every bus stop and then put up a mini metrocard vending machine in the shelter. It just seems like something that should have been done already.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM

115 posts, read 393,889 times
Actually the vacuum used to suck the coins out of the fare collection box would destroy dollar bills, hence they're not accepted. See this picture (http://www.mta.info/mta/dailypics/NYCT-Bus%20Vacuum.jpg - broken link) if you think I'm lying

Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM

218 posts, read 741,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
You couldn't use bills for a while, and I don't think they ever had a mechanism to count the bills before hand, the bus driver back then would just confirm the bill. Additionally he couldn't give change.

What the city wants to do however is get rid of the metrocard and replace it with that tap to go debit card service and metrocards designed to use that system. I wouldn't be suprised it they took out coins on buses. Something I'd wish they do is install bus shelters at every bus stop and then put up a mini metrocard vending machine in the shelter. It just seems like something that should have been done already.
A debit-based MetroCard system actually sounds like a frakking awesome idea... I think it's extremely practical, and would work very well. I hope it passes.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
the green bus line in queens used to accept dollar bills a long time ago...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,879 times
The fare box wasn't built to accept single dollar bills or any type of bill but you can pay with the dollar coins or just get a metrocard it's easier.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,792 times
I just wonder this because lately on the express bus, there have been a lot of people who have tried to pay will dollar bills.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times
Because it is easier to rod you with a metrocard than it is with cash....the driver could see you put in the money and give you a pass but a with a stupid metro if it says you have no money then you have no money...no matter what you say

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Its just a fact, the MTA want people to use MetroCards.....its the same reason why you can't get a transfer from Subway to bus unless with a metrocard....

I prefer the MetroCard to Cash....Do have to worry about looking for change, now with fare not being an even 2$ makes it harder if you have to pay with cash....

I just put 50$ at a time on my MetroCard and Go.......I really wish they made refilling of MetroCards available Online, so that we didnt need to stand inline at the damn machines.....Also being able to refill the Unlimiteds would be nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City