Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times

Advertisements

Hi, all...

Okay, I was debating if I should post this or not, but I figured the sooner I can get advice, the sooner I can prepare for something based on real-world facts and advice I get, so here is my story, and situation...

I LOVE NYC... simply love it. I have been there 3 times, and IMO, it's the best place on the planet. I absolutely love being there, and it is my goal to permanently live there. However...

If I do move to NYC soon, I will have to rent a room... not an apartment, a room. Now, this is what I want to know... are there ANY places in Manhattan, where I could rent a single room, for as low as $700 a month? I don't care where on the island it is. If not, then what about Queens? I don't have a family, or a spouse (yet), so I don't need the extra room of a whole apartment, and as long as I'm in NYC, I'm happy. All I need, is to be there. That's all that matters.

Also... the job front. I KNOW employment is bad everywhere, but please give me some comments here... I would VERY much love to drive a cab, or be a courier... anything where I can drive, or be out and about. Is it extremely difficult to get work driving a cab? I know you have to take a test, and I have downloaded all the forms needed, I just want to know how hard it is to actually get the work. I would also be very very happy in a retail cashier type of job, or a hotel job... how hard are those types of jobs to get, in NYC?

I would like to hear from people who have rented rooms in Manhattan... what was your experience? Do NOT try to discourage me... I KNOW what NYC is like, and I KNOW I want to live there... I just want some advice on how to go about it, to eliminate as many problems as possible. Any feedback is appreciated. ANYONE in NYC who has any advice for me can also reach me via AIM, by the handle NebulaClassGuy, if you want to chat in realtime. Again, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I know that you can rent a one room studio apt. in Queens for under $1000. So you might be able to find a room in an apt. with roommates for $700 in Manhattan. I would suggest checking the Village Voice newspapers ads: new york classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale, personals - backpage.com .

Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Driving a taxi in NYC requires a "hack license". If you're going to drive a car service, you would need a TLC license. One thing, though, if you plan on driving in the outer boroughs (Bklyn, Bronx, SI, Queens), you better know your way around or you won't make any $$$.. Couriers in Manhattan usually get around by bike (get a HEAVY chain & lock).

In Manhattan, I'm sure you can find an inexpensive SRO (single room occupancy) but, be warned, those are often occupied by less-than-desirable people. You would probably be better off finding a roommate.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Cool. I'll totally look into the roommate thing, then. Is it very hard to find work as a bike courier, or do you kind of just leave your card with people and "put the word out there"? One thing I know, is that if a New Yorker is in a car of their own, they NEED to be... otherwise, they walk, or take the subway, because of the traffic... at least in the case of the Midtown area.

See, this is one reason I love NYC... I have a car of my own, but when I move there, I won't need it... every street has a small grocery and laundry or eatery, and subway entrance, so no matter what, everything you need is within walking distance. No need to pay for gasoline, or auto insurance. Two less things to worry about.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Courier companys used to be hiring. Now a lot of companies cut out that service. Once a week someone in the office has to deliver mail to the main office uptown. We get a metrocard & a bottle of water. Some companies pay by the delivery also. Not great!
Try driving an ambulette. They always hiring. But again, you better know your way around the city or your passengers will get angry.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
every street has a small grocery and laundry or eatery, and subway entrance, so no matter what, everything you need is within walking distance.

not true about subways and grocery. my nearest grocery store is 3 blocks away and its hardley is "small grocery" its a whole foods. there is a little place to get chips and stuff but u can hardley get ur groceries there. you are thinking of bodegas. also the subway is only on certain blocks and its possible to be VERY far from a good subway line...i think you are confusing real new york with tv new york. and oh yeah i have no clue about laundry i have it in my building.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Well, I realize some subways are not on every block, but when I talk about grocery, I'm not talking supermarkets... but darn near every block I encountered had at least a convenience store, where the basics could be bought. The point is, that everything is well within walking distance. I have spent months in NYC, and know what it's like. Where I live now, almost every evening, I walk about 4 miles, so i'm used to walking a lot. Maybe to me, the distances in NYC seem closer than they are, IDK.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
It seems there are always courier jobs out there. Look on CraigsList or in the NY Daily News. Courier jobs don't pay that much, though, so you may want to reconsider that 'career'

If you're going to live in Manhattan, there are plenty of jobs to be had. From your original post, it seems you want an "outside" job, not an office job. I'm not sure how many of those are available other than driving for car service or taxi service (and for both, you HAVE to know your way around the 5 boroughs without a thought). There may also be construction jobs. Another job that I always see listed is for people handing out flyers or samples..... those may be horrible, though, because you have to stand in one area and hand out all these things they give you for a certain amount of hours and they only pay (maybe) $10/hour and it's not steady work. Another option may be doing "extra" or background work on movies/tv ---- you would only make between $75-$125/day for a 12 hour day (usually 10-12 hours) but they feed you pretty good (PM me for details on this).

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default jobs

To start off...why don't you look into working as a grocery store cashier? It's a relatively easy job to get (or at least it was...it was all of our 1st jobs growing up) ...just think of walking into grocery stores & asking...in all the boroughs...I'm sure you can find something & you can gain experience in it wherever you are living now.

It may be enough to get you on your feet & pay for a room, while you decide what else you could do.

Hotels jobs, cab-driving jobs, ect. take some time & connections.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 PM

^

Thanks! I actually do have over six years of supermarket experience, so if the jobs are to be had there, that will be at the top of my list, while I also look for other and side work. Speaking of grocery stores... I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever been to Spyros Food mart, which is shown here...

Spyros & Sons Food Mart Inc - West Village - New York, NY

I've been by it once, but chickened out going in. The reason I say this, is because my real name is also Spyros (I'm Greek), and i was toying with the idea of finding the owner, and talking with him/her. Does anybody shop there? Are the owners nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City