Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 PM

28 posts, read 78,968 times

Advertisements

hello beautiful new york city!!!

so
i come from san antonio, and where i'm from- us hispanics here are the majority. so when i go to any 'bad' part of town here, i'm not scared at all to be in any of the weird places- i just blend in, hispanics here look out for eachother... and that's really any big bad part of texas, except for certain parts of the houston area where there's mostly blacks.. and even then, nobody bothers you if u don't act sketchy..

i know what it's like to have that extra adrenaline kick in b/c of the area, trust me i've been on the northside of houston at a fast food joint at night where everyone's wearing a blue shirt but- knock on wood, i've never been mugged-

what i'm worried about tho is my move to NYC
for some reason, i have a feeling it's gonna be TOTALLY different
i don't look like a thug or anything, more punker rockerish?
i got a peirced lip with 'messy' hair and some fresh kicks with a nice T, yup

what's it gonna be like
tell me, what happens when i walk to mcdonalds late at night on flatbush in BK.. what if i bring a girl.. what's gonna happen when i take the wrong exit and end up in harlem/morningview at midnite

are people gonna yell at me?
are people gonna step up and try to mess with me?
will they try to feel up on my girl?

i'll keep my confident face on when i'm in these areas but let me tell u something- NYTimes has a murder map of ur city, every street, every block, someones been stabbed or shot (most of queens i saw was ok, bed-stuy was horrible, north manhattan into bronx was madness)

was it all gang related?
was it all guys thinkin they were tough and dudes put em in check for roaming the wrong parts of the hood at nite... what!

tell me what happens
and why

Last edited by blackitout; 08-06-2009 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,984,559 times
Looking like that you're already going to be a target. Not a good idea to go the hoods. Alot of guys, if there in a group, would holla at your girl if they see you as a punk.

The murders here are due to drugs, disputes, and gangs. Much less gangs than the other two. But almost all the cases, the perpetrator and the victim knew each other.

But NYC hoods are like any other. Nothing different about it except maybe that it's more dense.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,801,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post

I've always just followed the rule: don't act sketchy and sketchiness wont come to you.

and im a girl btw...one of my friends is a very tiny hispanic girl and she never feels threatened. i think you should be ok

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
your questions can be summed up with the follow:
its not like in the 80's movies.

actually, everyone that has a question like:
is the subway safe?
is the __ train safe at __ time?
whats __ neighborhood like?
is nyc really that bad?
is the cost of living really that high?
etc.

the default answer should be:
its not the same as in movies from the 80's and its not like sex and the city.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
your questions can be summed up with the follow:
its not like in the 80's movies.

actually, everyone that has a question like:
is the subway safe?
is the __ train safe at __ time?
whats __ neighborhood like?
is nyc really that bad?
is the cost of living really that high?
etc.

the default answer should be:
its not the same as in movies from the 80's and its not like sex and the city.
Exactly right! Don't go by movies...or YouTube! The thing to remember about New York is this: whatever you had in your hometown, there's more of it here. And that goes for pretty much everything you can think of.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,769,628 times
Your doooooooomed!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Your doooooooomed!
OP is probably dead by now.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM

82 posts, read 175,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
hello beautiful new york city!!!

so
i come from san antonio, and where i'm from- us hispanics here are the majority. so when i go to any 'bad' part of town here, i'm not scared at all to be in any of the weird places- i just blend in, hispanics here look out for eachother... and that's really any big bad part of texas, except for certain parts of the houston area where there's mostly blacks.. and even then, nobody bothers you if u don't act sketchy..

i know what it's like to have that extra adrenaline kick in b/c of the area, trust me i've been on the northside of houston at a fast food joint at night where everyone's wearing a blue shirt but- knock on wood, i've never been mugged-

what i'm worried about tho is my move to NYC
for some reason, i have a feeling it's gonna be TOTALLY different
i don't look like a thug or anything, more punker rockerish?
i got a peirced lip with 'messy' hair and some fresh kicks with a nice T, yup

what's it gonna be like
tell me, what happens when i walk to mcdonalds late at night on flatbush in BK.. what if i bring a girl.. what's gonna happen when i take the wrong exit and end up in harlem/morningview at midnite

i'll keep my confident face on when i'm in these areas but let me tell u something- NYTimes has a murder map of ur city, every street, every block, someones been stabbed or shot (most of queens i saw was ok, bed-stuy was horrible, north manhattan into bronx was madness)

was it all gang related?
was it all guys thinkin they were tough and dudes put em in check for roaming the wrong parts of the hood at nite... what!

tell me what happens
and why
If it wasn't for the fact that you say you have gf I would have thought you were a girl.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,217,280 times
New York City has a lower crime rate than San Antonio. Violent crime in NYC is 5.52 per 1,000 residents to 5.71 in San Antonio, and property crime in NYC is 16.9 per 1,000 residents to 66.71 in San Antonio.

That's all you need to know.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
New York City has a lower crime rate than San Antonio. Violent crime in NYC is 5.52 per 1,000 residents to 5.71 in San Antonio, and property crime in NYC is 16.9 per 1,000 residents to 66.71 in San Antonio.

That's all you need to know.
Ok but that's not the bad in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City