Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 AM

29 posts, read 171,149 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to this area soon, and we are looking into elementary schools. I don't know if I want to do public schools, but are there any good alternative schools around there? (There are so many kinds I don't know what there are called. Just not Private and not Public).

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Honestly, if they're not public, they're private. Charter schools are public, what you're calling 'alternative' schools are private. They all cost money if they're not public. It's a little late in the year to be looking for these schools, as well.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Brooklyn Friends School

Grades PreK-12, Coed

375 Pearl Street
(718) 852-1029

Brooklyn Heights Montessori School

Grades PreK-8, Coed

185 Court St
(718) 858-5100

Hannah Senesh Community Day School

Grades K-8, Coed

342 Smith Street
(718) 858-8663

Mary McDowell Center

Grades K-8, Coed

20 Bergen Street
(718) 625-3939

Packer Collegiate Institute

Grades PreK-12, Coed

170 Joralemon Street
(718) 250-0281

Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. About the charter schools, what kind of children go to them? I know nothing about them. Thanks!
We're in no rush either. Not looking this year. We got another year or so! Before Preschool.

Also, are any of the charter schools good in Brooklyn?

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-08-2009 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Same poster, same subject

Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Charter schools have long waiting list & testing needs to be done. All kinds of children go to charter schools. From rich to poor. Good & bad kids :-) My neighbor's son is in a charter school and he is bad as sin!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM

hmm. Thanks for the info. The private schools are expensive. They say they offer aid, but who is eligible? We're not "poor" but we're not rich either.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM

You can apply for scholarships. I am not too sure if the scholarships are income based. (This can also apply for Catholic schools) Charter schools are not income based, but just based on childrens knowledge.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
You're right to look for private schools because I've heard the public schools in Brooklyn Heights are horrible--which is kind of odd, you'd think they'd be decent.

Public school in Park Slope is decent until middle school if you are wedded to Brooklyn.

There's another private school called St. Ann's in Brooklyn Heights, but I don't know if it starts in K.

Ouch! I wouldn't want to be in your shoes!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Remember to check which side of Park Slope, however, with regard to the public schools because the Districts change in that area, from 13 (which includes Brooklyn Heights) to 15. The schools, however, are not as good as parts of Queens on a district-wide level, though there are some good individual schools in Brooklyn.

The problem with Queens is that District 26, which has some of the schools in the city would not meet the other criteria (from the other thread) about it being a hip neighborhood. Those are stable residential communities that have commercial districts, but parts of the area tend to be more suburban as it's an area that has many single-family homes and multi-family homes. It's not as urban an area as the areas you're considering. Forest Hills (District 28) and Riverdale (Bronx, District 10) also have some good school options, but again, they're not what I would call hip urban locales.

Much of the issue is that many who live in the hip areas don't have children, so there is not the same level of demand for a good school, which is something to consider.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli08 View Post
hmm. Thanks for the info. The private schools are expensive. They say they offer aid, but who is eligible? We're not "poor" but we're not rich either.

More than likely you won't be eligible, you certainly shouldn't count on it. Especially, given that there is a HUGE demand in NYC for private schooling; and, anyone affording to move a family to NYC must have certain finances.

It sounds as if you may need to alter your perception of NYC and your place in it. All private schools are expensive---PERIOD! Private schools are for the elite, or those who can afford to school with the elite. It is VERY expensive.

You mention Brooklyn Heights, which is an upscale neighborhood, and is the premier neighborhood of Brooklyn. It is the most expensive.

If you need to private school and to live in Brooklyn Heights, yet doing both is more than your finances can afford, then you need to make choices. The first might be to move to a less expensive neighborhood. Brooklyn Heights is an upper middle class, as opposed to a middle class neighborhood.

If, for example, you consider yourself relatively middle class, and are not choosing to make the sacrifices necessary to private school. Then you need to rethink schooling in NY and perhaps, the move to NYC itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: