Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times

Advertisements

I think that 1500 after rent and healthcare care is doable. It sounds like a great opportunity - Columbia is a prestigious school, and to have rent, healthcare and a stipend while studying sounds wonderful. I also happen to think that Morningside Heights is a nice neighborhood, and there are some great areas in Washington Heights too. Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah your statements don't make any sense. Los Angeles is a LOT worse than NYC in terms of crime.

Los Angeles has one of the lowest ratios of police to people for a population of its size for just about any city in the country. This is why crime, especially gang crimes, have become such an epidemic in LA.
Yes, but it is one of America's fastest growing populations especially for Police Officers. I never said LA was safer, but it is getting safer while NYC is not. NYC's crime rate is going up because of the amount of Police Officers leaving, but LA's crime rate is dropping (15% in the last year) because of the increase in the amount of Police Officers.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:29 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Your dissing on NYC for crime and gang activity, but your moving to LA? Come again. LA has plenty of crime issues, especially problems with gangs.

BTW there are some very nice areas of Harlem and Washington Heights, ever heard of Striver's Row? Ever taken a walk around Fort Washington in Washington Heights? It's not all projects and gun shots.

Yeah there are better places to raise a family, but hey that's subjective. Some people don't like the sheltered car/mall obsessed culture of suburbs and prefer the idea of raising their kids in a city environment. Plus if the public schools happen to be bad in a certain area there are affordable private schools in the city (mainly catholic), and charter schools are becoming more and more of an available option.
FutureCop is constantly saying Harlem and Washington Heights are bad neighborhoods. Take a nice walk through these neighborhoods, even take a nice walk through the South Bronx. Theres nothing to be scared of anymore in NYC. (maybe Brownsville,East New York, Bushwick and Bed Sty)

Old 04-27-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yes, but it is one of America's fastest growing populations especially for Police Officers. I never said LA was safer, but it is getting safer while NYC is not. NYC's crime rate is going up because of the amount of Police Officers leaving, but LA's crime rate is dropping (15% in the last year) because of the increase in the amount of Police Officers.
NYC is the only major city in the country who's crime rate has dropped in the last 2 years. The only neighborhood in NYC that's crime rate has risen is Crown Heights. Are you even from NYC or the area?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
NYC is the only major city in the country who's crime rate has dropped in the last 2 years. The only neighborhood in NYC that's crime rate has risen is Crown Heights. Are you even from NYC or the area?
Yes, Scarsdale right now. Born in Queens, lived in Queens, moved to Buffalo, moved to Scarsdale, in that order.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
FutureCop is constantly saying Harlem and Washington Heights are bad neighborhoods. Take a nice walk through these neighborhoods, even take a nice walk through the South Bronx. Theres nothing to be scared of anymore in NYC. (maybe Brownsville,East New York, Bushwick and Bed Sty)
Come on. You can't possibly tell me you'd take a walk in the South Bronx without being scared. That's just dumb. A city the size of NYC will have many bad neighborhoods that civilians don't even know are bad. They think New York is a big utopia and what happens? Bang bang bang bang bang. They're found dead. That's the thing about New Yorkers. They think it's a perfect city. You need to understand it's not as safe as you think it is. What I'm saying is reality. NO neighborhood in NYC is safe. There's crime/gangs on every street in New York.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I don't know where you live, or who you are, but man are you off. I have walked many South Bronx street as part of my work responsibilities; I've had coffee in East New York with the folks; I've attended meetings in Brownsville, and I've sat in cafes in Harlem. Never heard a shot!!!!!!

What are you talking about---no neighbourhood is safe!

Quote:
Come on. You can't possibly tell me you'd take a walk in the South Bronx without being scared. That's just dumb. A city the size of NYC will have many bad neighborhoods that civilians don't even know are bad. They think New York is a big utopia and what happens? Bang bang bang bang bang. They're found dead. That's the thing about New Yorkers. They think it's a perfect city. You need to understand it's not as safe as you think it is. What I'm saying is reality. NO neighborhood in NYC is safe. There's crime/gangs on every street in New York.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Wow. Ive spent my whole life around or in New York City. Born in NOrth Jersey, 5 minute drive to Washington Heights via GWB. If you can't tell from my previous posts i am EXTREMLEY familiar with the city and no for a fact, that there are not gangs on every street in New York. Theres not even drugs on every street in New York like some other cities. Go to North Philly go to sections of Baltimore. Then you will be scared. I have confidence in every neighborhood in New York City. Even places like Mt. Vernon(although some I can admit are very dangerous). Fact is, The New York City Metro area is the safest metro area in the US with exceptions of Parts of Northern Jersey and Upstate. You cannot tell me that New York City is dangerous. The only places in New York City that I can think of off the top of my head that are remotley dangerous are the Soundview projects and maybe Queensbridge. Seriously

Old 04-28-2007, 04:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Quote:
Wow. Go to North Philly go to sections of Baltimore. Then you will be scared. I have confidence in every neighborhood in New York City. Even places like Mt. Vernon(although some I can admit are very dangerous). The only places in New York City that I can think of off the top of my head that are remotley dangerous are the Soundview projects and maybe Queensbridge. Seriously

.....................LOL.......................

Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
This thread clearly shows people have different concepts on what is considered a dangerous neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City