Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 AM

26 posts, read 118,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Not one person has said anything at all regarding those that are living in nyc, on basic everyday jobs, in ok neighborhoods, who dont have anyone helping them. As i said 5x now, im sure not everyone living in NY has a high paying job, with a partner to help. so my point is, if those people who are normal middle class can make it, why is it going to be so difficult for me and my mother.

Most of the people you are referring to -- those with "basic everyday jobs" -- generally have much lower housing costs than newcomers. Keep in mind that NYC housing costs risen dramatically in the last 15 years. A guy making $40K and living in a nice apartment in a good neighborhood most likely bought his residence years ago for less than $200K, (maybe even less than $100K) so this guy has a $500-$700 mortgage payment while a newcomer in the same neighborhood in a similar space has a $2000+ rent or mortgage payment. Many long-time NYers also have rent-controlled apartments for less than $1000/mo., while their neighbors in the same building are paying $2000+.

This is why it will be difficult for you, and why it is difficult for thousands of other residents of modest means who don't have the incumbent advantage of real estate ownership or rent control.

There have been many people on here who said 1,000 a month is possible. I never disagreed with anyone that NYC is more expensive then mass, i also never disagreed that it would be hard or difficult. I never said that so im not sure why you and a few others are taking my comments as if I dont want to "believe you" or whatever it is your thinking.

You did say, "...we are paying 1,000 a month now and living pretty normal, so i don't see the difference whether it be here in MASS for 1,000 or in NY..." and what people are trying to tell you is that "living pretty normal", is a fungible term. Your $1000/mo "normal" where you live now is very different than a NYC $1000/mo "normal". Your current "normal" probably has two bedrooms and two cars in a safe neighborhood. Your "new normal" will mean one small bedroom, and one car (possibly no car), perhaps in a not-so-nice area plus all of the other small sacrifices that come with living with less than you are accustomed to.

When I moved here three years ago with my wife, we had to get used to living in half the space we were accustomed to, and went from two cars to one. We also gave up our big backyard, big kitchen, 2nd bathroom, third bedroom, even the dishwasher. We don't regret it for a minute, because the move was great for our careers and we enjoy taking advantage of all of the the cultural and recreational amenities of the city. We certainly don't have a difficult life by any means, but our household income is also significantly higher than $50K, and we pay about $1500/mo in rent and utilities for a small 1.5 bedroom* place in a far-flung working-class area in Southeast Brooklyn.

That being said, as a 22-year old, making the move is a good idea IMO, if you are prepared to make the sacrifices, (and your mom can deal with the huge lifestyle change) it will likely pay off in the future. It is a story as old as New York itself and has been told by millions.

What you see in real estate listings on craiglist tend to look much better in the listing than in person. My advice to you would be to take a drive here next weekend and set up some appointments to actually see these places and their surrounding neighborhoods. You are 22 and could handle the less-than-ideal living conditions more easily than your mom. We old folks tend to value our creature comforts

* Note: The "half-bedroom" is a separate room that is too small to serve as an actual bedroom, so we use it for a home office and storage.

Thank you very much for explaining this to me in a simple, nice way.
I agree with everything you said.

The reason why i wanted to move to NYC is basically to get my career going. here in mass, there isnt much opportunity and so thats the reason I have my mind set there.
I agree that it will be alot of sacrificing, and also alot different then living here. I agree with you when you say it will be alot harder for my mom to get used of the living conditions.

Right now where we live, we are paying 1,000 for a 2bedroom but its not big, its a basic one level floor, condominium complex, and it has 2 bedrooms, small bathroom, medium parlor, medium kitchen. no driveway, no yard, ok neighborhood, its Fall River MA, so if you are familiar its an ok city but not wonderful. That 1,000 a month doesnt include any utilites, condo fees, and ofcourse the other monthly amenities. So i completely understand what you just said to me about the costs in NYC being higher, and now that you explained the whole rent being stabalized and most people living in their apartment when rents were cheaper and so on.

I appreciate you taking the time to break it down and really make it clear on how the lifestyle is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Most of the people you are referring to -- those with "basic everyday jobs" -- generally have much lower housing costs than newcomers. Keep in mind that NYC housing costs risen dramatically in the last 15 years. A guy making $40K and living in a nice apartment in a good neighborhood most likely bought his residence years ago for less than $200K, (maybe even less than $100K) so this guy has a $500-$700 mortgage payment while a newcomer in the same neighborhood in a similar space has a $2000+ rent or mortgage payment. Many long-time NYers also have rent-controlled apartments for less than $1000/mo., while their neighbors in the same building are paying $2000+.

Theres a teachers in my building. Shes moved here right out of college. And how 20 years later...lets just say I garenttee shes is SO happy she bought when she did lol. When she bough her apt back then she paid probibly 1/10 of what I even pay in rent...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allofme4yu View Post
Thank you very much for explaining this to me in a simple, nice way.
I agree with everything you said.

The reason why i wanted to move to NYC is basically to get my career going. here in mass, there isnt much opportunity and so thats the reason I have my mind set there.
I agree that it will be alot of sacrificing, and also alot different then living here. I agree with you when you say it will be alot harder for my mom to get used of the living conditions.

Right now where we live, we are paying 1,000 for a 2bedroom but its not big, its a basic one level floor, condominium complex, and it has 2 bedrooms, small bathroom, medium parlor, medium kitchen. no driveway, no yard, ok neighborhood, its Fall River MA, so if you are familiar its an ok city but not wonderful. That 1,000 a month doesnt include any utilites, condo fees, and ofcourse the other monthly amenities. So i completely understand what you just said to me about the costs in NYC being higher, and now that you explained the whole rent being stabalized and most people living in their apartment when rents were cheaper and so on.

I appreciate you taking the time to break it down and really make it clear on how the lifestyle is there.
You need an apartment for $1,000, in a suburban like neighborhood (low density), car friendly, near a VA hospital, correct?

Yes, some of the people in this thread have said $1,000 is possible, but what neighborhoods are they talking about?

Williamsburg does not meet the above criteria; nor does Astoria. Neither of them are suburban like nor car friendly, and given your descriptive of your mom--she won't like those areas. Pay attention to the areas these people are suggesting.

Bensonhurst or Bayridge are better options, both are near to a VA hosptial, specifically Bayridge. In these neighborhoods, you'll have to deal with 'Alternate Side of the Street Parking', and they are not precisely suburban like, but acceptable enough in that regard.

Yes, you can find apartments for $1,000, but what are you getting? Presently, you and your mom live in a CONDOMINIUM!!!! As such, let us say it is relatively 'middle class' in condition and amenities. In Bensonhurt or Bayride you will NOT find a 1 bdrm condominium for $1,000. It's that simple and point blank. Look at the pictures on Craigslist, if you can judge correctly, you will see this to be evident.

In NYC, the average working class do not live as well as you, apparently do, in Falls River, unless they have certain advantages outlined for you in a previous post. So, the question for you is whether your mother is ready, and aware, to make this level of step down.

From your comments and her criteria, it would seem that she has some issues in this regard.

Staten Island give you better quality options at your price point, BUT, IMVHO, the toll would be ONEROUS for your mom's salary level. An unnecessary expense, which almost negates any advantage regarding rent. JMO.

I suggest you also consider Queens, which has a few neighborhoods which closely meet your mom's criteria.

Bayside, you can find a relatively acceptable apartment in the neighborhood of $1000. Though, frankly, $1200 is more likely. The quality of the housing is comparable and might be a bit better than the above neighborhoods. You also may get more space for the money. There are also some areas in and around Bayside, the names escape, which also are good options. You may find a 'garden' apartment (which may be a condo) at that price range. In addition, you are more likely here to find a car friendly situation.

Also, if your mom is up for a reverse commute to Long Island, there is a Veterans Hospital, Northport VA Medical Center, in Northport. Living in Bayside makes a Long Island commute relatively simple. Not sure how much time such a commute would take, but working there and living in Bayside would give your mom pretty much a suburban existence. Something to consider IMO.

To find the *best* apartments in your range, rather than Craigslist, it may be better to utilize a neighborhood broker. Though there will be a fee, which if your LL doesn't pay, you will. In your case, it may be worth it.

So, the three neighborhoods should do you fine.

Now, re your career goals, I just checked, to become a "Criminalist" the NYPD requires:

Quote:
Qualification Requirements for All Levels:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college with specialization in criminalistics, forensic science, chemistry, biology, physics, genetics and molecular genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, entomology, anthropology, ecology or a closely related scientific or engineering field.
NYPD - Careers (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/careers/civilian_opportunities.shtml#criminalist - broken link)

If this is your focus, I don't see the point in becoming a Police Office, and certainly not a Corrections Officer.

If NYPD is your focus, then this is the school you want to go to:

John Jay College Of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York - Home

I wish you luck in your goals and endeavors.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-22-2009 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Took out the "hostility" comment .....

Old 08-22-2009, 03:05 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Quote:
Staten Island give you better quality options at your price point, BUT, IMVHO, the toll would be ONEROUS for your mom's salary level. An unnecessary expense, which almost negates any advantage regarding rent. JMO.
S.I. residents with EZPass pay half price ($5.50) and the toll is only assessed on the inbound side, so the round-trip cost is actually only a buck more than a round-trip subway ride.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You need an apartment for $1,000, in a suburban like neighborhood (low density), car friendly, near a VA hospital, correct?

Yes, some of the people in this thread have said $1,000 is possible, but what neighborhoods are they talking about?

Williamsburg does not meet the above criteria; nor does Astoria. Neither of them are suburban like nor car friendly, and given your descriptive of your mom--she won't like those areas. Pay attention to the areas these people are suggesting.

Bensonhurst or Bayridge are better options, both are near to a VA hosptial, specifically Bayridge. In these neighborhoods, you'll have to deal with 'Alternate Side of the Street Parking', and they are not precisely suburban like, but acceptable enough in that regard.

Yes, you can find apartments for $1,000, but what are you getting? Presently, you and your mom live in a CONDOMINIUM!!!! As such, let us say it is relatively 'middle class' in condition and amenities. In Bensonhurt or Bayride you will NOT find a 1 bdrm condominium for $1,000. It's that simple and point blank. Look at the pictures on Craigslist, if you can judge correctly, you will see this to be evident.

In NYC, the average working class do not live as well as you, apparently do, in Falls River, unless they have certain advantages outlined for you in a previous post. So, the question for you is whether your mother is ready, and aware, to make this level of step down.

From your comments and her criteria, it would seem that she has some issues in this regard.

I suggest you also consider Queens, which has a few neighborhoods which closely meet your mom's criteria.

Bayside, you can find a relatively acceptable apartment in the neighborhood of $1000. Though, frankly, $1200 is more likely. The quality of the housing is comparable and might be a bit better than the above neighborhoods. You also may get more space for the money. There are also some areas in and around Bayside, the names escape, which also are good options. You may find a 'garden' apartment (which may be a condo) at that price range. In addition, you are more likely here to find a car friendly situation.

Also, if your mom is up for a reverse commute to Long Island, there is a Veterans Hospital, Northport VA Medical Center, in Northport. Living in Bayside makes a Long Island commute relatively simple. Not sure how much time such a commute would take, but working there and living in Bayside would give your mom pretty much a suburban existence. Something to consider IMO.

To find the *best* apartments in your range, rather than Craigslist, it may be better to utilize a neighborhood broker. Though there will be a fee, which if your LL doesn't pay, you will. In your case, it may be worth it.

So, the three neighborhoods should do you fine.

Now, re your career goals, I just checked, to become a "Criminalist" the NYPD requires:

NYPD - Careers (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/careers/civilian_opportunities.shtml#criminalist - broken link)

If this is your focus, I don't see the point in becoming a Police Office, and certainly not a Corrections Officer.

If NYPD is your focus, then this is the school you want to go to:

John Jay College Of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York - Home

I wish you luck in your goals and endeavors.

Lots of people on here have mentioned Bayside. I havent found info out on it yet. I agree that apartment hunting will be hard, along with dealing with the major size difference. Altho we live in a condo now, it isnt anything spectacular at all. There are probably more decent apartments out here in mass for less rent, and alot bigger size. but anyway i was just telling you guys that so you could get some more info on our situation.
I would have to talk to my mom about the Long Island VA. Her boss actually used to work at that one and said its a wonderful location, and a very nice hospital. So I will give ur advice to mom today.

With the $1200 rent, That doesnt seem like too much of a difference compared to the $1000 rent that I thru out there, but once again since mom will be handling most of the overhead, I would need to ask her.
What will that $200 difference give us? I 2bdrm or just a larger, nicer 1 bdrm?

With the NYPD i said its a foot in the door because when you want to move up in rank, it is alot easier than here in MASS. Where you need to have years of experience in order to move up and become a detective compared to a regular police officer. NY requires I believe a test, obviously u need atleast a yr or 2 before u can take that test, but the test is what gives u the chance to move up. With the CO exam, it was just another test, once again in my career field. I have heard from a girl that I was at the NYPD process with that its pretty stressful and intense, because they dont have alot of coverage and the jails can be tough. The Court Officer exam was something that I just came upon while on the internet searching and I figured Why not?
I wouldnt mind using my Criminal Justice degree in even probation, but im sure they require alot more than an Associates Degree. Does anyone Know or work in that field ?

Ive read all on it and im pretty up to par when it comes time to my education.

Last edited by allofme4yu; 08-22-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
JFYI, came across another VA facility today:

VA St. Albans Primary and Extended Care Facility

It's in St. Albans which is in Queens, NY.

Maybe makes the Queens option a little more doable.

Luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:

Luck!
I don't think the subways go there though I could be wrong but the LIRR def. does.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Luck!
yeah the only thing with the St.Albans VA is that it is more of a nursing home setting compared to a typical VA hospital setting.
Which if neccessary my mother wouldnt mind dealing with that but if she has her own choice she wants to stick to a VA HOSPITAL or OutPatient building, which are all over the place!

NEW QUESTION-
How did everyone first learn how to understand and find their way thru the city on the subways? Was it Difficult?

Im nervous about knowing where to catch the subway, knowing where its going to take me, cathcing the right one, going in the right direction. Verryy nervous !

Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allofme4yu View Post
How did everyone first learn how to understand and find their way thru the city on the subways? Was it Difficult?

Im nervous about knowing where to catch the subway, knowing where its going to take me, cathcing the right one, going in the right direction. Verryy nervous !

hopstop.com is one of my favorite things!

Also once you move in you will know where the subway stops around your apartment are. And they are marked with the trains which run on them (ex. ACE or F train). and it will say UPTOWN or DOWNTOWN. And if you get on the wrong direction (which I have pletny of times) you just got off and walk around to the other track and hope on again!

I would avoid the express train until you get a feel for which stops it actually stops at.

Other than that I have had a great time exploring the subways. Ive met some colorful people too!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
hopstop.com is one of my favorite things!

Also once you move in you will know where the subway stops around your apartment are. And they are marked with the trains which run on them (ex. ACE or F train). and it will say UPTOWN or DOWNTOWN. And if you get on the wrong direction (which I have pletny of times) you just got off and walk around to the other track and hope on again!

I would avoid the express train until you get a feel for which stops it actually stops at.

Other than that I have had a great time exploring the subways. Ive met some colorful people too!
Thanks alot OhioGirl. I saved that site into my favorites. Its seems pretty helpful when your first learning.

Do you leave really early for work OhioGirl? Like is it something that takes alot of timing, for example if u start work at 8am, and take the subway in, do u wake up at like 5? or is it ok to leave around 7:15am? Just trying to figure out what the usual time frame is, including busyness, and so on.

Does anyone know what people mean when they say a RAILROAD apartment? ive seen it alot on real estate websites but idk what it means.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City