Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 61,399 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a 33 year old, single, Asian female who has just accepted a $90K Marketing Manager job on 7th Avenue and 38th St. I will be moving from Houston (probably driving a U-Haul) to NYC early September 09, targeting to arrive in NYC over the Labor Day weekend. I plan to start work mid Sept 09. As I need a place to stay before I arrive, I would have to conduct my hunt remotely from here (no other option, unfortunately). I do have a friend in NYC who may be able to help with viewing and passing over hard copy docs. etc. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience conducting an apartment hunt without being in NYC itself? What is your advice about finding a no-fee apartment? What agency would you suggest?

2. What does $90K get me in NYC in terms of lifestyle? I've no debt, good credit, am single (or divorced for 2 years), not very high maintenance i.e. more bohemian vs. Chanel girl, but don't want to live like a student either.

My dream apartment is (feel free to tell me how devoid of reality I am ):

1) What is your budget?
-- No minimum - $1300 (Is that a proper estimate based on my income?)
-- Preferably no-fee

2) Where is your job located?
-- 7th Ave and 38th/39th St - still finding out what trains serve here but I think plenty??

3) Living circumstances
-- Single, may get a cat. Although I have a healthy social life in Houston, I like to stay in more often than not. So, the home will not just be a crash pad, but a "sanctuary" where I can cook, read, listen to music, blog, entertain a guest every once in a while, etc.
-- Quality is preferable over proximity to subway (10 minutes walk OK, 30 minutes commute to work OK). As a single girl, I rather not deal with repairs, leakages, etc. Clean and bright, lots of sun, are important.

4) Space requirements
-- One bedroom, >600 sq. ft. if possible

5) Neighborhood amenities
-- Want to live off main street for some peace, stability, and cleanliness, but want easy access to subways, bars and restaurants, a park, decent grocery store, coffee shop, bookstore, laundry, yoga studio, etc.

6) Other interests/ General
-- Would like to be near single professionals around my age or families OK too (I do like a mix of suburban and urban). Green space preferred as I run 3-4x a week.
-- Bohemian activities in area e.g. live bands, reading sessions, etc would be great.

Based on the above, what areas would be suitable for me? I'm seeking something with an Upper West feel without the UW price. Targeting Brooklyn e.g. Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, and Queens e.g. Astoria, Rego Park. What are your thoughts about these areas and how would they fit me? Also ready somewhere about living in Hoboken - is that a good consideration and why? I've never been and have no idea what it's like to live there.

Thanks so much for your insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In Queens, Astoria, Rego Park & Forest Hills are all good neighborhoods with easy subway access & with the amenities that you have listed.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:25 AM

111 posts, read 392,445 times
As another person who recently left Houston I just wanted to say congrats on getting out of that city.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM

18 posts, read 204,816 times
Funny - I'm a 32 year old male, moving to New York from Houston at the about the same time. Similar conundrum on finding an apartment, but want to be a bit closer to the Village or Soho where finding quiet is even more difficult. My understanding from speaking to others, is that agreeing on an apartment sight unseen can be a risky proposition, with the possible exception of going to a larger reputable apartment complex.

I've nearly given up on the idea and will likely travel to the city 3 weeks before I plan to start living there to find a place. The process is daunting like no other. I may consider doing a temporary sublet, so that I can get a feel for areas and then decide where I want to live.

I've sent you a PM, perhaps there are economies of scale to be had here.

Last edited by Apple][; 08-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Added sublet thoughts ...

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Congrats, it's nice to see places still hiring (or starting to hire again) for these kinds of jobs.

You may want to check Craigslists for short-term sublets you can live at while looking for a place. Worst case, you can rent a motel short-term, though for it to be semi-reasonable (like maybe $59-79/night) the only place I can think of that is not like 40 or 50 miles from Manhattan is near Newark Airport (I think America's Best Value Inn will be $59/night) and not sure how easy commuting would be.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
I suggest you do anything to come and look at a few units. I had a friend who agreed to an apartment without visiting it and she had a HUGE pipe in her closet and it wasn't even usable. I've heard places that were so small that a bathtub was actually in the kitchen. Of course that's rare but I suggest you visit first. Check out Long Island City in Queens(Hunters Point) there are tons of new apartments over there and its close to Manhattan(one stop from Midtown). Your budget is too low though. A 1 bedroom will run about 1,800 but you'll have a Washer/Dryer and Dishwasher in most units. You can easily afford it with your income.

Good Luck..I just moved here from Austin BTW.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
I would not recommend trying to find an apartment here without seeing it first. There are too many scams, baits and switch etc. It is not impossible but you would have to be able to see everything online and rent from a very reputable building/management.

Is it possible that you can narrow your apartment search down to a few apartments and then send your friend to see them?

If I were you, I'd ask to stay with a friend or at a short term rental for a minimum of 30 days and then you can really search for the right neighborhood and apartment. Please consider this option. Housing in NYC is not as good as in Houston (as far as price and amenities).

Best of luck.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for your concern, everyone. You're right. I'll probably make my way there a week or 2 before starting work to hunt for a place, while I have my stuff in storage. The reason why I quoted $1300 is because I saw some decent looking rentals in the areas I was targeting for around that price range. Would you think, then, that it's too good to be true? More likely scam and good marketing? Also, I'm actually taking a pay cut to get the NY experience. I do want to have more disposable income for travels and yoga.

latikerii - how are you enjoying NY vs. Austin? I definitely want to make the move, but I'm still working through my anxieties of space, cleanliness and crowding.

Finally, what neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens would have more of an Upper West feel (without the Upper West price tag)? I'm looking at Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Dumbo etc in Brooklyn and Rego Park, Astoria in Queens.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Oh and thanks for the Hunterspoint suggestion - never thought of that!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpaws75 View Post
Thanks for your concern, everyone. You're right. I'll probably make my way there a week or 2 before starting work to hunt for a place, while I have my stuff in storage. The reason why I quoted $1300 is because I saw some decent looking rentals in the areas I was targeting for around that price range. Would you think, then, that it's too good to be true? More likely scam and good marketing? Also, I'm actually taking a pay cut to get the NY experience. I do want to have more disposable income for travels and yoga.

latikerii - how are you enjoying NY vs. Austin? I definitely want to make the move, but I'm still working through my anxieties of space, cleanliness and crowding.

Finally, what neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens would have more of an Upper West feel (without the Upper West price tag)? I'm looking at Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Dumbo etc in Brooklyn and Rego Park, Astoria in Queens.
In Brooklyn, Park Slope & in Queens, Astoria & Rego Park/Forest Hills have
lot going on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City