Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 AM

122 posts, read 789,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
Peter B you are way off base brother. Guilianni was very popular in NYC. He made governement effective and he made government agencies work. He always made decisions in the interest of his city, not the union. Sure the police unions bashed him for not paying them, but that is not every thing. He turned that city around. If you ever worked or lived under Dinkins you would know what I'm talking about. He is the first politician I have ever seen, who is not afraid to take the bull by the horns and make GOVERNMENT WORK. I have some real issues with lazy government people who are gauranteed a salary every two weeks whether they work or do nothing. Those same employees somehow can never get fired. It makes me sick. Signed, 21 years at the NYCPD and 6 in the USMC
Actually, a lot of New Yorkers hate(d) Giuliani.
Chris Rock said something interesting regarding him on that train-wreck show Real Time with Bill Maher (don't think because I think that show is a train-wreck that I'm republican/conservative, please). He said that Giuliani is like a pit bull; he'll protect your house but he might eat your kids.

But doesn't it bother anyone that he really did rise to national fame BECAUSE of September 11, and that if he became president it would be a direct result of that? That's messed up. And even though I was only a junior in H.S. when 9-11 happened, I remember thinking, "What, exactly, is Giuliani doing that's making him a hero? Isn't he really more of a victim like the rest of us?" I don't know. I still think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM

79 posts, read 358,269 times
Glen NY I agree with you!! Guilianni had the guts to go after the Mob when he was the DA, He cleaned up the city and made it work and he wasn't worried about everyones opinion of him. He worked hard and was pro active. Mrs. Clinton is a policitian first and has not accomplished anything accept making herself famous. In Short Guilianni has a track record and like it or not its more than hot air.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
I'm from New Jersey and I would vote for Giuliani, no contest. NYC improved so much in cleanliness and safety because of Giuliani, and I thought he was absolutely inspiring after 9/11.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,334,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
But doesn't it bother anyone that he really did rise to national fame BECAUSE of September 11, and that if he became president it would be a direct result of that? That's messed up. And even though I was only a junior in H.S. when 9-11 happened...
Not true. Any adult with a passing interest in national affairs was well aware of what Giuliani was doing in NYC throughout the 90s. Since he hailed from Big Media Central he got a lot of national press throughout the decade and had substantial name recognition coast to coast even before 9/11. I knew all about his major initiatives even out here in California.

As for the question at hand, Clinton would carry New York state. The state is solidly Democratic, which Giuliani couldn't overcome. However, I have read that Giuliani might carry New Jersey, which would be atypical for that state.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 PM

122 posts, read 789,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Not true. Any adult with a passing interest in national affairs was well aware of what Giuliani was doing in NYC throughout the 90s. Since he hailed from Big Media Central he got a lot of national press throughout the decade and had substantial name recognition coast to coast even before 9/11. I knew all about his major initiatives even out here in California.

As for the question at hand, Clinton would carry New York state. The state is solidly Democratic, which Giuliani couldn't overcome. However, I have read that Giuliani might carry New Jersey, which would be atypical for that state.

I agree that Clinton would probably get NY. Except that there's this odd imbalance of people alternately hating her or loving her. Weird.

But I still disagree about Giuliani. I mean...nobody [I guess I mean the average voter] outside of NY would even know who he was if it weren't for 9/11.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM

91 posts, read 434,740 times
I totally agree. EXCEPT, it's "My way or my way" with Guilani. As far as cleaning up NY is concerned, it was Bratton, not Guilani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Mr. Guiliani would be a horrible choice for President. First off, his ego is off the charts. If you think Bush lacks diplomatic skills, which is painfully obvious, ask any NYPD member about Guiliani. He sold them out and and does things by the "my way or no way" philosophy. A very dangerous choice for President who would further isolate the USA. He did nothing for NYC on and after 9/11. He was part of the reason all the firefighters died, having inferior equipment which prevented many of them in the tower from realizing that the buildings were going to collapse due to having antiquated radio equipment which Mr. Guiliani felt no need to modernize. He is as useless as **** on a bull and only cares about his homely, homewrecking girlfriend, advancing his career, and of course the free front row Yankee tickets he regularly accepts from a convicted felon, Mr. George Steinbrenner.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM

259 posts, read 937,102 times
Hillary Clinton can carry New York because eventhough the states Rural areas are socially conservative Republican white and family oriented Upstates cities are now socially liberal Democratic non-white and alternative lifestyle oriented! For instance Buffalo and Rochester in western New York have had Black mayors and there are 5 million people living in western New York. Add that to the 8 million in NYC and you can see that Republicans have a very slim chance of carring New York!

Juliani did not clean up New York City in the 90's it was Wall Street power brokers and rising real estate rentals that did it. Look at what happened to the stock index between 1994 and today. The stock index went up from 2000 in 1994 to 9000 before Juliano and the Hanoi dual cut out of office and it is 13000 today under the dyslexic creep Bush!! Dona you ever a forgeta contrary to what the Corporate Liberal Media said Juliano did not break up the Mafia either! Just listen to what Mario and the son said and I quote the son "the Mafia never existed it was a purely fictitious organization that was made up inside the obfuscated minds of certain demagogic and opportunistic indiviuals for arcane and esoteric reasons!

Last edited by Dee62; 04-30-2007 at 12:33 AM..

Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 PM

259 posts, read 937,102 times
Guliani hasn't got a chance!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,273,162 times
Default This isn't a political bulletin board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
Guliani hasn't got a chance!
This isn't a political board. You are putting up links in an obvious attempt to sway political opinion - Paul Waldman is a Senior Fellow and writes for Media Matters and despite the seemingly thoughtful name - Media Matters for America - they exist strictly to criticize Republicans and the conservative agenda.

This has nothing to do with the NY Forum.

You are pushing a political agenda. You are being deceitful posting in this forum.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,906,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Up here we see Hillary as a carpetbagger. We're just a steppingstone to the White House, and like all stepping stones, all we get to see of her are the soles of her Ferragamo shoes.

Giuliani has a lot of my respect and those of others upstate. From our perspective, he cleaned-up NYC and made it habitable again. After the miserable years of Lindsay through Dinkins, Giuliani was like the second-coming; doing what many said was impossible.

During 9/11 he was amazing. When I compare Giuliani's performance to that of New Orleans' Ray Nagin, it's night and day. I know the FDNY and NYPD have their issues with Giuliani, but in this state, he's a hero. That doesn't mean he'll be president. He leads a very... how to put it... colorful personal life that I don't think the Red states are quite ready for.

What actually happens in New York, however, is decided by, "three men in a smoky room." They will tell us who will win and we will accept it. New York has always run this way and perhaps always will. It's a bifurcated state.

I knew I liked you Jason.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City