Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
Actually, a lot of New Yorkers hate(d) Giuliani.
Chris Rock said something interesting regarding him on that train-wreck show Real Time with Bill Maher (don't think because I think that show is a train-wreck that I'm republican/conservative, please). He said that Giuliani is like a pit bull; he'll protect your house but he might eat your kids.

But doesn't it bother anyone that he really did rise to national fame BECAUSE of September 11, and that if he became president it would be a direct result of that? That's messed up. And even though I was only a junior in H.S. when 9-11 happened, I remember thinking, "What, exactly, is Giuliani doing that's making him a hero? Isn't he really more of a victim like the rest of us?" I don't know. I still think that.

Not to get involved in a political thread that doesn't belong in this forum but I was just wondering what Mrs. Clinton has done to deserve to be President. I don't want to hear what has Bush done, I want to know what has Hillary done for NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 AM

672 posts, read 905,468 times
If you believe in polls, the last Quinnipiac one I saw had not only Hillary beating Rudy by double digits, but Obama as well. What does THAT tell you about Rudy's popularity in New York State?

Rudy not only would lose NYC, he would lose the suburbs (Westchester and Long Island), close but still lose. He could not carry the state without winning one of those.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM

259 posts, read 939,131 times
Originally by Dockside
Quote:
He was good mayor and could make a good president. You are putting up links in an obvious attempt to sway political opinion
Just because you like Guliani does not make him a good presidential candidate. If Guliani wasn't so disingenuous with his lies about cleaning up New York City and busting organized crime I would have respect for him over Hanoi Hillary. But since it was Wall Street Money that that cleaned up NYC with High priced Condo conversions and the forced movement of indigent people to depressed Upstate hick towns and Cities where this is no hope of employment opportunies I cannot support this Closet Liberal Fraud in a Dress!!

Last edited by Dee62; 05-08-2007 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times
Latest Gallup poll, now also has Edwards beating Guliani in New York. At the rate he is going, Mickey Mouse would beat him.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
Originally by Dockside

Just because you like Guliani does not make him a good presidential candidate. If Guliani wasn't so disingenuous with his lies about cleaning up New York City and busting organized crime I would have respect for him over Hanoi Hillary. But since it was Wall Street Money that that cleaned up NYC with High priced Condo conversions and the forced movement of indigent people to depressed Upstate hick towns and Cities where this is no hope of employment opportunies I cannot support this Closet Liberal Fraud in a Dress!!
Well, look at you, cleverly combining my two posts to make it look like I have an agenda!!

Not only do I think Giuliani would make a good president, I think Hillary would too. Both are intelligent, hard-working people and I'm okay with either one.

Yes, I credit William Bratton for helping clean up NYC, but Ray Kelly was there first under David Dinkins, and he's the one that got the original police reforms rolling. Bratton, under Giuliani, helped move things along, and he has been rightly praised for his accomplishments. But, without a strong, determined mayor to ride point, take flack and pave his way, it never would have happened. Look at Bratton's record in LA, nothing impressive.

A cleaned up NYC attracted huge numbers of people to move in. Lets see, limited supply of housing, big demand, prices go up. The semi-hysterical phrase "forced movement of indigent people" is more rightly blamed on rent controls, instituted during WW2, rather than Wall St. But that's economics, not sexy or easy to think about. Blaming Wall Street is simple-minded populist fun for nitwits.

And what's wrong with liberals in dresses?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Personally I'm not a big fan of either. I thought Guilliani was massively overrated and still is by his fans. Bloomberg has been way more productive in my opinion, if you want to compare. Guilliani's main credit to fame was crime being reduced, but if you take a close look at the numbers you will see crime was already decreasing before he came into office. And please don't think I'm defending Dinkins because I think he was bad too.

I think Clinton would do much better, primarily because she is fresher in people's mind's. She's more current since she is the senator. She has a strong following in NY, although I'm not sure why (her husband I guess). Plus Clinton has much better numbers amongst non-white's, much better, it isn't even close.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-08-2007 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Bloomberg has been way more productive in my opinion, if you want to compare.
No argument here. I think Bloomberg has been very productive. He inherited a mess. I have been very impressed at the calm, easy way he steered NYC back into stability. He gets a bit too nanny-state for my tastes, but big deal, he has been very good for NYC.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 AM

259 posts, read 939,131 times
Quote:
The semi-hysterical phrase "forced movement of indigent people" is more rightly blamed on rent controls, instituted during WW2, rather than Wall St. But that's economics, not sexy or easy to think about. Blaming Wall Street is simple-minded populist fun for nitwits.
Not really! Highs and Lows of the Stock Markets index did effect the pace of regentrification in Manhatten. This turn around actually started under Mayor Koch. The Stock market index was stagnant at 1,000 Between 1970 and 1980. During this time the city was dying. And People were moving away. Between 1980 and 1987 the stock Market index went from 1,000 to 2,000. During this time under Koch the city started to turn around. Between 1987 and 1994 the index was stagnant once again at 2,000! During this time Dinkins was Mayor. And you know what happened to the city under him. Racial riots and the like. Between 1994 and today under Guilianno and Blumburg the stock index has climed from 2,000 to over 13,000. Not to mention the decline of the US dollar and the rise of the New Euro currency! You know what that means Euro Txxsh condo-tells Thats all. There has been no real monetary growth in NYC except for the Euro. Anybody who Blames the policies of Guliani should enroll in city college and take an economics course. And stop being a simple-minded pro-Gulianno populist nitwit!

Last edited by Dee62; 05-09-2007 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 06:01 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Not to get involved in a political thread that doesn't belong in this forum but I was just wondering what Mrs. Clinton has done to deserve to be President. I don't want to hear what has Bush done, I want to know what has Hillary done for NY.
Hillary has not done anything for New York. Her 1st term consisted of her making promises and not following through. Where are the 200,000 jobs she promised? She is not an effective leader. For some reason she was voted in for a second term. Bush was voted for a second term so this is not suprising at all. No person that has recently worked in the New York state government on any side of the political spectrum would make a good president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City