Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Many/most of the bldgs on the concourse were pre-war, not post war. My friend lives in one that was built around 1910, and there are prewar bldgs in Riverdale as well.
I believe that I said that there were pre-war in Riverdale, but apartment construction took off in Riverdale, post-war, hence the comparison to Executive Towers on The Concourse. It was built at a time when the area was in decline, and similar apartments were being built in Riverdale, during that era; hence my comparison, since the original target demographic would have been similar for both that particular building and areas of Spuyten Duyvil, for example.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Sam has an active imagination. I'm as white as they come and have been living in an area where whites are a minority for more than 5 years without incident, in fact people are pretty nice. No one seems to care really.

I think it's good for an area to have a mix of incomes but again, I don't see rich people moving to my neighborhood any time soon. We moved from Inwood, where there was no way we could afford a house, and we didn't want to live in the suburbs. I could imagine other people like us moving here--who want more space than they could get in other neighborhoods but don't want to leave the city.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I believe that I said that there were pre-war in Riverdale, but apartment construction took off in Riverdale, post-war, hence the comparison to Executive Towers on The Concourse. It was built at a time when the area was in decline, and similar apartments were being built in Riverdale, during that era; hence my comparison, since the original target demographic would have been similar for both that particular building and areas of Spuyten Duyvil, for example.
I am not sure exactly what year the Executive Towers was built but I think it was early or mid sixties,which was just before the "decline" of The South Bronx started.There were probably some people moving out then to pursue the suburban dream but I don't think anyone had any idea what would unfold in the following 10 or 15 years.

Actually it would be interesting to know what was on that site before it went up.It is a big chunk of real estate and 90% of The concourse is pre war (mostly 20's and 30's) buildings. Anyone know the history ?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
90% of the concourse is pre war (mostly 20's and 30's) buildings.
It always comes as a surprise to people unfamiliar with The Bronx that the Concourse has such a stock of Art Deco apartment buildings. I think the whole street should get official designation as a historic district to preserve them. "The Grand Concourse Art Deco Historic District." Quite a ring, don't you think?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
Part of the reason the Concourse is getting so much press is because this is the hundredth anniversary of the boulevard. The Bronx museum (which has been redesigned) has been having exhibits relating to this. Originally one of the lanes was for horse and buggies, I believe...

Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Interesting article about the Grand Concourse. Also make sure to watch the video. Do you agree that in time this area will get better and prices will appreciate? Looks like a good area for a long term investment.

Grand Concourse Paves Way For Real Estate Comeback
Yes, thanks Mekitor...that was what I was referring to in the original post but I can't seem to get my computer to copy the URL.

Same goes for the NY Times piece which I think appeared the same day.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I am not sure exactly what year the Executive Towers was built but I think it was early or mid sixties,which was just before the "decline" of The South Bronx started.There were probably some people moving out then to pursue the suburban dream but I don't think anyone had any idea what would unfold in the following 10 or 15 years.

Actually it would be interesting to know what was on that site before it went up.It is a big chunk of real estate and 90% of The concourse is pre war (mostly 20's and 30's) buildings. Anyone know the history ?
Yes, I believe you're correct as usual..lol..

My coop, for example, was built about 1949 or 1950, and some of the Seward Park coops on the LES were built in the early 60s (though some were prewar I think). That was, as you say, before the great decline.

In the NY1 Piece, as the owner says, it was originally intended for rich folks...though perhaps that might be an exaggeration since it was probably modestly priced then as well. But I have seen it advertised for many years in the NY Times, and I've passed it many times, and the interior is very grand indeed.

I think also the fact that there are so many prewar buildings with original detail (as well as some solidly built post war ones) adds to the potential value. It seems similar to the Upper West Side, which also went through a tumultous period, but had plenty of grand prewar apartments which are undoubtedly worth millions now.

Another thought: those who moved to the burbs in the 60s were also "pioneers" since, for example, one of my friends who moved to LI was in the middle of farmland. And the Bx, believe it or not, used to be rural back in the day: when Poe lived here it was to get away from the city in part because of his ill wife.

Speaking of Poe: Poe Park (which is on the Concourse and Kingsbridge) is apparently being revamped again. I think they are building a new interactive Poe museum at the site of the cottage, which has existed as a museum itself. I think they're also starting to use the bandshell for concerts.

As I said, when cultural amenities (as well as shopping) starts to develop, you have all the elements in place for change. The Kingsbridge Library down the block, which was built several years ago to replace the old one across the road, is state of the art and serves as a cultural center, with plenty of computers, CD's, DVDs, etc. It didn't take long to construct.

Likewise, the Kingsbridge Armory (on Kingsbridge and Jerome) is poised to open for development. It's down to the final stages of negotiation/approval, and I think the retail outlets will come in pretty quickly after that.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, there were post war bldgs, but as stated above, they were built before the apocalypse of the 70s (lol) which affected the entire city, including Manhattan.

I often wondered how some of the prewar bldgs got built since I assume some were done during the Depression. But from what I've read they were done in a relatively short period of time, I guess to keep up with the demand. The Bx was seen as an "escape" from the city, which at the time was not so desirable esp for those living in slums. Funny how things come full circle, no?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Sam has an active imagination. I'm as white as they come and have been living in an area where whites are a minority for more than 5 years without incident, in fact people are pretty nice. No one seems to care really.

I think it's good for an area to have a mix of incomes but again, I don't see rich people moving to my neighborhood any time soon. We moved from Inwood, where there was no way we could afford a house, and we didn't want to live in the suburbs. I could imagine other people like us moving here--who want more space than they could get in other neighborhoods but don't want to leave the city.
Absolutely, Yodel...people are too busy with their own troubles to give a fig about it--esp since we are so much in the "minority" lol.

That's exactly why I love it here: I refuse to leave the five boroughs but the Bx has a great mix of urban/"rural" etc.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Recommended reading (coming from a Brooklynite, yet!):

The Beautiful Bronx, by Lloyd Ultan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City