Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:59 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,050,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What are you defining as Middle Class? I would say under $100k a year. Unless someone is living in a rent controlled apartment that they have had for the past 20 years (which would probably result in them never having had kids because it will likely only be 1 br) then it is hard to live in Manhattan on that type of salary.

The rents in Manhattan south of 86th st on the east side and 110th on the West are going for well over $2,000 a month these days. I think the average for a 1br is around $2,500. To afford those types of rents you really need to be making around $100k - $125,000 a year.
And rents are definately approaching this level in the 'other 4 boros' outside of Manhattan unless you want to live in southeast queens near JFK or near the Belt Parkway.

Queens & Brooklyn aren't much cheaper especially in the now uber trendy sections of Queens like Jackson Heights, Astoria, Woodside & Forest Hills.

Real Estate brokers are really cleaning up since most charge at least 15% of annual rent which must be paid by the renter upon signing of the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 PM

975 posts, read 3,723,709 times
Maybe if there is a another massive terror attack all the rich people will bail and the middle class will slowly come back. Otherwise no.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,649,154 times
Discussion on disappearance of middle class, part I

Discussion on disappearance of middle class, part II

Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,784,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Maybe if there is a another massive terror attack all the rich people will bail and the middle class will slowly come back. Otherwise no.
Hah, why.

The middle class would leave even faster in fear of their families safety.

The rich would spend more money on personel security.

The poor don't care, just hook em up with Section 8, Welfare, and all of New York's other goodies.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM

319 posts, read 491,454 times
I agree with Hustla's theory. The gap will widen between the rich and the poor.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM

435 posts, read 1,518,625 times
Do you people ever leave the five boroughs. America itself is losing it's middle class.

Texas? Ha, good luck finding minimum wage

Ditto rest of South

California, NY on crack

West, Only if you like foresting

Rest of Northeast corridor, even worse

Midwest, if you could find a job...

Let's try to keep things in prespective here...

Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Do you people ever leave the five boroughs. America itself is losing it's middle class.

Texas? Ha, good luck finding minimum wage

Ditto rest of South

California, NY on crack

West, Only if you like foresting

Rest of Northeast corridor, even worse

Midwest, if you could find a job...

Let's try to keep things in prespective here...
Yes but NYC leads the way. America's income disparity is growing and that is a bigger problem then people think.

Thay is why you ask a middle class White kid who visited for a week about New York and he will call it "Super, totally dude. It rocks.". Ask a low income NYC Black or Puerto Rican kid and he will say" **** this place, my cusin got killed last week, barely afford the rent, no good jobs, I hate it". America is a different place depending on what race you are and how much you make.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,566,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Heaven Forbid, but if terrorists drop a nuclear bomb or two - then I can see the middle class come back after it's safe to inhabit the area.

Other than that - I see the NYC area getting more expensive yet in years to come.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Heaven Forbid, but if terrorists drop a nuclear bomb or two - then I can see the middle class come back after it's safe to inhabit the area.

Other than that - I see the NYC area getting more expensive yet in years to come.
With todays nuclear weapons, not in our lifetime. The fallout alone with leave the metro completely abandoned for generations. The city would be leveled.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,566,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
With todays nuclear weapons, not in our lifetime. The fallout alone with leave the metro completely abandoned for generations. The city would be leveled.
Well then, after many generations the middle class would come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City