Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 8,142 times

Advertisements

New York is basically almost heaven on earth if you're rich.

New York is probably hell for low-income people in the projects.

I did a study at my class in UCLA, and New York is the richest city in the United States, they have more millionaires and billionaires than any other city in the United States.

New York is also home to the poorest county in the country. So many people on welfare. I forgot where it was but I find this shocking. The disparity between the rich and the poor is more dramatic in NYC than anywhere else. In L.A. we have it bad, but NYC is much worse.

I agree with Hustla718, but I don't think race is the issue. Class is. A rich black friend of mine also thinks NYC is totally awesome!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,791,622 times
Your talking about Bronx county. The poorest urban county in the USA. Kings County (Brooklyn) is also in the bottom 20. This is due to so much concentrated poverty in areas like Bed-stuy and East NY.

Your right though. If your a man of color and lower income living in the city of NY, life is very rough. If you are wealthy and White, it is amazing. An entertainment wonderland.

I mention race becuase in NYC the poorest groups are Blacks and Hispanics. The neighborhoods of color are also definately places where everyday life is difficult. A never ending struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Well then, after many generations the middle class would come back
Come back to what..?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Your talking about Bronx county. The poorest urban county in the USA. Kings County (Brooklyn) is also in the bottom 20. This is due to so much concentrated poverty in areas like Bed-stuy and East NY.

Your right though. If your a man of color and lower income living in the city of NY, life is very rough. If you are wealthy and White, it is amazing. An entertainment wonderland.

I mention race becuase in NYC the poorest groups are Blacks and Hispanics. The neighborhoods of color are also definately places where everyday life is difficult. A never ending struggle.

Come back to what..?
Come back to rebuild is the only answer I could give upon those extraordinary circumstances.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,354,661 times
I really doubt that will ever happen. NYC is only good for the rich and poor. The rich make their millions here and have a ball with all of the cultural attractions. The poor get by decently thru taking advantage of all of the public assistance/welfare programs available here and also the best public transportation available in the country.

The middle class gets squeezed out, because for the same ammount of money a middle class person could buy or rent in the suburbs and not have to deal with all of the b.s. & crime associated with here, and to boot their kids would get a FAR superior public school education.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,791,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I really doubt that will ever happen. NYC is only good for the rich and poor. The rich make their millions here and have a ball with all of the cultural attractions. The poor get by decently thru taking advantage of all of the public assistance/welfare programs available here and also the best public transportation available in the country.

The middle class gets squeezed out, because for the same ammount of money a middle class person could buy or rent in the suburbs and not have to deal with all of the b.s. & crime associated with here, and to boot their kids would get a FAR superior public school education.
Good post.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,660,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
...and to boot their kids would get a FAR superior public school education.
This is where ya lost me!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Do you people ever leave the five boroughs. America itself is losing it's middle class.

Texas? Ha, good luck finding minimum wage

Ditto rest of South

California, NY on crack

West, Only if you like foresting

Rest of Northeast corridor, even worse

Midwest, if you could find a job...

Let's try to keep things in prespective here...
My question to you is: Do You ever leave the 5 boros??

Did you get that info from your own conclusions or from NY Magazine & the NY Times??

BTW, I got a really good job in central CT, and you can actually a 3 or 4 bedroom house for less than $400,000 and not be taxed, fee'd & fined to death. Plus people are nicer and not so concerned about what you are driving & the brand you are wearing.

And BTW, in terms of job growth NYC doesn't even make the top 10. And in terms of income for example (the supposed, alleged figure but whatever) look at NYC versus Austin TX.

Actually the economy in the rest of the country is doing pretty well (outside of housing) and housing prices / rents outside the greater NYC metro area seem reasonable and aren't rising by meteoric rates.

Last edited by NickL28; 07-07-2007 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVERLYHILLS CHRIS View Post
New York is basically almost heaven on earth if you're rich.

New York is probably hell for low-income people in the projects.

I did a study at my class in UCLA, and New York is the richest city in the United States, they have more millionaires and billionaires than any other city in the United States.

New York is also home to the poorest county in the country. So many people on welfare. I forgot where it was but I find this shocking. The disparity between the rich and the poor is more dramatic in NYC than anywhere else. In L.A. we have it bad, but NYC is much worse.

I agree with Hustla718, but I don't think race is the issue. Class is. A rich black friend of mine also thinks NYC is totally awesome!!!!
Yes, its totally awesome IF you are single, wealthy (making over $200,000 a year), and under 30. Actually the concentration of wealthy or super wealthy (making over $500,000 a year in household income) is growing while the middle class is disappearing & the number of poor is shrinking.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM

33,930 posts, read 47,137,728 times
i make $42K. time to get my ass on food stamps and just call myself poor by nyc standards i guess....

Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 PM

435 posts, read 1,519,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
My question to you is: Do You ever leave the 5 boros??

Did you get that info from your own conclusions or from NY Magazine & the NY Times??

BTW, I got a really good job in central CT, and you can actually a 3 or 4 bedroom house for less than $400,000 and not be taxed, fee'd & fined to death. Plus people are nicer and not so concerned about what you are driving & the brand you are wearing.

And BTW, in terms of job growth NYC doesn't even make the top 10. And in terms of income for example (the supposed, alleged figure but whatever) look at NYC versus Austin TX.

Actually the economy in the rest of the country is doing pretty well (outside of housing) and housing prices / rents outside the greater NYC metro area seem reasonable and aren't rising by meteoric rates.
No one really listens to you. Much of Southern Brooklyn and eastern Queens is plenty affordable. NYC right now is outpreforming the nation. Poverty rates are going down. As for affordable housing, Jersey has it in many parts. So does Staten Island. Speaking of which, I bet you could get an apartment on SI for mucho cheapo if you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City