U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,236 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am from Toronto Canada and I am looking for a place to stay for 2 months in NYC.

I found a place on W 41st street, in Midtown west. It is a great price per month, but I have heard that they area is not so good, and that is why the price is so low.

Does anyone have any insight on that area? Should I stay there for 2 months. The apartment looks really nice. I am just wondering if I will be safe there.

thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 PM

120 posts, read 417,716 times
2 mths? you'll be fine. its not a bad area, its just not residential. very commercial/touristy.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,396,119 times
This depends on how far West it is. Where you don't want to live is right near the Port Authority bus terminal...

Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferer View Post
2 mths? you'll be fine. its not a bad area, its just not residential. very commercial/touristy.
Oh ok. Thanks. The person I spoke to said I may run into some colorful characters. I don't mind a lot of people or tourists. I would actually feel more comfortable in a crowded area.

I just don't want to constantly be harassed by strange people while walking. The building has a 24hour doorman which is a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This depends on how far West it is. Where you don't want to live is right near the Port Authority bus terminal...
What is near that area that makes it less desirable?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM

922 posts, read 3,670,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronx16 View Post

What is near that area that makes it less desirable?
"Colorful characters", actually.

You'll be fine, safety-wise. You're probably looking at one of those new luxury rental towers that have sprouted up all along 41st St. There has been a lot of new residential development around that area, since there are height restrictions on new buildings north of 42nd St to preserve the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.

The main complaint about that immediate area is noise, crowds, traffic, and lack of park space. It doesn't feel much like a "neighborhood". There is Times Square at 7th Ave, then the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 8th Ave. As you go further west on 41st, past 9th Ave., it gets somewhat industrial, plus there are busy Lincoln Tunnel entrances was well as the ramps serving the bus terminal, which create lots of vehicular noise. Go north on 8th or 9th Avenue and it quiets down a bit.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:32 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,136,042 times
There are two places around there that attract "colorful characters." There's the homeless day shelter (at least that's what I believe it is) on 40th between 9th and Dyer Aves. Then there's Covenant House which I think is on 41st and 10th.

You might find more info in this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...s-kitchen.html

But I think for 2 months you will be fine. It's not a place I would want to live long-term, mostly because of the noise and dirt and all the cars that want to run you down, but I would live there short-term.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:39 PM

115 posts, read 373,845 times
I live at 42nd and 9th (in a luxury highrise that popped up, as the other thread was discussing), and I wouldn't say that I feel unsafe there. Go a little south on 9th and things get a tad sketchy (with the homeless literally camped out), but if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

I actually work in Jersey, so I take the bus from the Port Authority to head to the office, but obviously that's during rush hour, doing a reverse commute, and despite stories that I've been told, I've never seen anything untoward occur there. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've not seen it (so it must not be as out of control as everyone says).

Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM

155 posts, read 359,500 times
Midtown west is a nice area, Lots of nice new co-ops going up in the area. It's not like a community, but still very nice, I say go for it, you will have a great time in NYC.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM

Honestly, thank you everyone for all the advice and information. I think I know everything I need to know to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City