Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:16 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

In Westchester, Bronxville or Pelham could work, though Pelham might be outside the 45 minute window with traffic, depending upon time of day. With Bronxville, you can get on the Cross County to the Saw Mill to the HH Parkway and down the west side, which is a bit faster, though with traffic, I'd figure on 45 minutes from Bronxville.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 41,863 times
and from park slope to midtown or Soho?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue10 View Post
and from park slope to midtown or Soho?
The driving time is about 20-30 minutes in ideal conditions. Give yourself another 20 minutes to account for traffic. If you are going to Midtown on the West Side, the trip is significantly longer.

In Park Slope, add another 15-20 minutes to your return trip while you circle the neighborhood looking for a parking space. Seriously.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
What about a commuter train instead of the subway? What is your situation?

Williamsburg/Greenpoint is the fastest drive in from Brooklyn. Much faster than Park Slope. You could also try Dumbo. That would be a very quick commute to SoHo.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Yup lol thats why I said he has to live virtually right next to a major crossing into the city to have a chance. I live right off Blvd East not even a quarter mile from the Lincoln Tunnel and it takes me 30-40 min just to get onto the NYC side of the tunnel!
This may be dated info, its been a long time since I lived in NJ, but there used to be a little entrance from the streets which bypassed that long slow crawl and puts you right into the entrance plaza.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I need to be in by 9 AM -- i would consider an early commute to beat traffic.
So, NJ is out then. The options are Brooklyn, Bronx? How about Westchester?

What is the usual park slope to midtown commute in the morning/evening?

Coming from the slope isn't so bad IF you know the streets and are an aggressive driver---otherwise it can be a bit of a sloth during rush hour. The main streets to the bridge are full of traffic and lights, but mostly getting on the bridges is the pain.

Personally, I'd go through the streets, avoiding the main streets, to the Battery Tunnel, like I hinted re the Lincoln Tunnel, there is a little entrance which allows you to avoid the jam from the Gowanus and Prospect Expressway. The little entrance puts you right into the toll plaza. Haven't used it in a long time may have closed it off.

Of course, there's the toll. But that's the good part, since most people choose to sloth their way along the BQE to the bridges. Good enough traffic during rush hour though.

In the evening, past rush hour, say 7pm, maybe 6:30pm, its relatively easy, as not too many people take the tunnel; even during rush hour it isn't too bad, as long as there's not a hangup on the West Side Highway, and/or you know how NOT to get caught up on the highway near the Holland entrance; and there's no accident in the tunnel or on the Gowanus or Prospect. Lotta ifs.

There's also a roundabout way to get to the Brooklyn Bridge for the west side which will easily get you to the bridge entrance anytime of day, but its a sloth after that.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 41,863 times
How about places like Englewood, and other NJ rivertowns nearby etc... what kind of drive should I expect to midtown?

So really, the only places that you can get in around 30-40mins are -- riverdale, bronxville, pelham, inner brooklyn, inner queens? Am I missing somwhere?

Other places I'm considering is Montclair -- but I fear that would be over an hour, yes?

I hear Kew Gardens may be an option -- what kind of area is that, safe, clean? How about the North Shore -- I assume that would be an hour at least?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
How about places like Englewood, and other NJ rivertowns nearby etc... what kind of drive should I expect to midtown?

So really, the only places that you can get in around 30-40mins are -- riverdale, bronxville, pelham, inner brooklyn, inner queens? Am I missing somwhere?

Other places I'm considering is Montclair -- but I fear that would be over an hour, yes?

I hear Kew Gardens may be an option -- what kind of area is that, safe, clean? How about the North Shore -- I assume that would be an hour at least?
Kew Gardens in Queens is a good neighborhood.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
This may be dated info, its been a long time since I lived in NJ, but there used to be a little entrance from the streets which bypassed that long slow crawl and puts you right into the entrance plaza.
That is still there, I have used it at times, it saves waiting on the 495 helix. BTW I find the Holland Tunnel almost always much better than the Lincoln from NJ. Firstly commercial traffic and trucks are still banned from the Holland, secondly everybody and their uncle and all the commuter buses and trucks are heading for the Lincoln.

If you can use public transport there are also ferries to Manhattan from NJ. As mentioned parking in Manhattan is insanely costly unless your business picks upthe tab, but most people working in Manhattan do not drive all the way in.
One exception might be if you have an official press pass, you can park on certain spots all over town. That was about the only time I used to drive in. Even then the NYC Marshalls stole my car away when they found old ancient parking tickets and I had to pay about $800 ransom to get it back from the thieves. Thieves, indeed.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks! Good to know its still there.

That little entrance made the Lincoln my favorite. Though, I have some recollection of having to be careful of getting *caught* in the bus lane. Something about that entrance.

LOL. I love the way you phrased that: "...the NYC Marshalls stole my car away...." They've stolen mine a time or two as well. Jerks! Though I discovered a way to deal with them. In my area, I think it may be the same everywhere, there is a Sheriff and a Marshal. Either one can take your car. They must share info or something. Anyway...this is what I did, sorta by accident.

I owed some tickets and knew it. I also knew that they would be coming any day. Their modus operandi is to scope out areas at night----if you see a Marshals/Sheriffs car cruising your neighborhood, at night, usually their just scoping out cars from a list. In commercial areas and certain neighborhoods they'll take your car at night. At least in my area, they don't do nights. They just scope.

Of course, this is all information and belief, once they've noted a number of cars on the list, then they swoop in early morning and do neighborhood by neigborhood. So each day they'll do a couple of areas.

During that time, I, generally, had to *move* the car every morning (alternate side parking), so I got in the habit of doing very early 5 am or so (more spots, and I like the early morrning). I'd warm the car, and then do a quick sweep of the neighborhood looking for the Sheriff/Marshal tow truck. What they do is tow the cars from the list to a staging area they've picked to hold the cars.

So, this particularly morning I noted them beginning to stage-up, I knew they would tow me. So, I parked the car, then immediately got on-line and electronically paid my tickets. They wouldn't know that until probably the next day. Given my car was on that day's list, my car got towed. Now, I didn't exactly know that they wouldn't be aware that I had paid at approximately 5am that day. So, when the car was towed, I was rather pissed!

Later in the morning I went to get the car and it wasn't there. Pissed, I go home get the print-outs re payment, etc., and head to the court in Jamaica. Take a taxi. I go through the steps and prove the tickets were paid PRIOR to the car being towed!!! The time difference was less than an hour I'd say. I get the Order for the Marshal/Sheriff, I forget which, to release my vehicle. Of course, there are NO COSTS/FEES!!!! So, I leave the court and head over to the Marshal/Sheriff's office, ahem, I had been there before, I must admit!

Totally pissed, and dressed in my imitation Brooklyn cop gear, blue mock neck, dark pants, cap, (people mistake me for an undercover), plus I know how to act like one. Of course, cops know how to work the system. So, that's how I played it. I went to the window, passed the order, stared the Marshal down---DID NOT SAY A F WORD. My stare down was meant to convey: 'You Dumb F Ass. Waisting MY time and Yours!' Gotta understand I'm a relatively big guy, black---people pay attention when I want them to. The Marshal was a similar sort. Rather than one of the girls who generally handle this crap----HE got up---which is what I wanted.

I stared him to the window. He looked at the Order. Took it back, did what they do, and came back with the paper needed for the Yard to release the car to me. I left---we never said a single word. He got the message.

So, I went to the yard---another taxi fare (3 so far). Picked up the car and left.

My car has NEVER been towed again----and, I have tickets! I hate paying them. It's not financial. I just hate paying them! It's a mental block or something. Drives my GF crazy!

Anyway, the moral of this is this: It cost the Marshal/Sheriff money to tow your car. I knew this. They have to pay the tow people and the Yard, just for starters. There's some a bit more cost too. So if they say tow a car, by mistake. That's money down the drain. Sometimes they tow the wrong car, meaning the owner has the juice to get his tickets wiped and and Order issued---again, towing such cars is money down the drain. The Marshals/Sheriffs HATE this---they're in business to make money not throw it away.

So, by doing things the way I did, and putting on the act (stare-down), I was intending to convey that I was a person with juice. A cop of some other person with city ties. I apparently accomplished this well. What they do in this situations, when they know you have the juice----you're put on a "No Tow List"!!! They'll never tow your car.

Cops (with juice), Officials, Politicians, they park wherever they want and never pay their tickets. The tickets, eventually get taken care off, blah, blah, blah. The Marshal/Sheriffs know how it goes, cause it goes that way for them! They never get towed.

At one point, I had stopped moving my car PERIOD! Just took the tickets and threw them into the glove compartment. Wasn't til I got sick, and wasn't going to be driving for awhile, that I decided to have the car moved out of state til I got better. I'm better. So, I shortly will be having to deal with the tickets! Need new registration, tags, etc. Ugh, now I have to figure a way to beat the tickets!

(Didn't proof the above, please pardon.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City