Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:03 AM

57 posts, read 213,422 times

Advertisements

In a place not too far from manhattan (at most half an hour on the subway), what would a studio/ 1 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood cost per month?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 05:09 AM

Default Roommates?

Do most recent college grads live with a roomate for the first few years?
There are cities that are as expensive as NYC, but I dont hear about roommates so often

just wondering, thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 05:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Please refer to the sticky at the top of the board entitled, 'Need info on moving to NYC.' Lots of information of the nature you're seeking is there.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:21 AM

Default Would I be able to live decently...

...on a 45K salary? What would that be after taxes?
I just want a small studio/1 bedroom place not too far from manhattan (30 minutes by subway at most)

I really dont spend much on shopping at all, just food and a movie or two.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 AM

There are online paycheck calculators that you can use, such as PaycheckCity.com | Paycheck Calculator

Whether this is enough depends on your lifestyle...

Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 AM

I would use that, but I'm not familiar with the american tax system

Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times
It depends on where in Manhattan you mean when you talk about a half hour subway ride. What's the rush? (lol)...

Here's a good example for ya...I used to live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and had to commute to the West Village (downtown) every day. Between the 15 to 20 minute walk to the subway (since I lived way east) and the overcrowded subway at rush hour where you sometimes had to wait for a few trains to go by, it could take 40 minutes minimum.

Conversely, if you live in a part of the outer boros closer to the, er, "mainland," it might take a lot less time to reach Manhattan.

Where I live in the Bronx, for instance, I could be in Manhattan in about 5 minutes if I took the bus or car right across the bridge. I can see it from my window, right across that Harlem River. However, it's northern Manhattan, so you'd probably transfer for a train or bus to get further downtown, closer to where the "action" is.

If you live in Williamsburg, you can be on the Lower East Side/downtown very quickly too.

Anyway, it's hard to "have it all," so my recc was that if you have a limited amount of money, check out the Bronx. In my area, not only as the rents cheap, but the cost of living is as well, since low commercial rents=pass the savings onto you, as they say. Other boros close to the city are generally pretty pricey. The Bronx has an excellent transit hub of buses, private express buses, subways, highways/expresways, etc.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 AM

PS: Subway to midtown Manhattan from where I am can take about 30 minutes, generally.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Ah, it's now apparent you're not in the US already and working.

You cannot just 'move to' the United States and start working without a valid visa. NOT a tourist visa.

Don't even contemplate coming to the US without having a job first. Employers will need to verify your legal immigrant status. So first contact your local US consulate to get visa information.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 AM

As far as rent goes, rents are creeping up, albeit slowly, but you can still get a studio for about 800 or 90 dollars and a one bed for maybe 1000 or 1100. Depending on the neighborhood, it could be more or less. Manhattan and some areas of the other boroughs can easily cost twice that much.

Plus, the definition of "studio" varies widely. A typical Manhattan studio is approximately the size of a broom closet. My friend in the Bx lives in a two room studio, which for all intents and purposes is like a one bedroom, since it's a two room studio. What makes it a studio technically is that the kitchen area is in the living room, and it's very small, but certainly livable. And what is considered "huge" in Manhattan would be laughably claustrophobic to anyone else, anywhere lol.

Check out the online NYC papers like NY Times, Daily News, NY Post to get an idea. Check out square footage as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City