Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:57 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times

Advertisements

For other people who moved here from somewhere else...how long were you here before you first said something to the effect of "I miss back home" or that you missed the way things were done where ever you came from? I'm not saying that it was enough to actually drag you back, but when did you first lose that complete and total awe with everything that was NYC?

I've been here almost 100 days now and not once have I wished I was back in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM

72 posts, read 213,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
For other people who moved here from somewhere else...how long were you here before you first said something to the effect of "I miss back home" or that you missed the way things were done where ever you came from? I'm not saying that it was enough to actually drag you back, but when did you first lose that complete and total awe with everything that was NYC?

I've been here almost 100 days now and not once have I wished I was back in Texas.
About 8 years for me.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post

Same for me. I've never wished to go back. My only wish is for an affordable condo. Though I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorker4now View Post
About 8 years for me.
What did it?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
We just passed the 3 year mark. To answer your question specifically, I don't think I was ever awed by New York. To this day I remain intrigued and entertained by the city and I'm proud to say I live here, but I was never really in awe.

I miss certain aspects of my former life in a smaller city that were more convenient, mostly relating to transportation -- commuting, getting around etc., but that's about it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM

I suppose I should rephrase. "Awe" does kind of make it sound like we're just overwhelmed in some way.

It's not that.

The feeling I mean is just that feeling of "finally being where you belonged all along."

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
My circumstances were different than yours. I came here out of economic necessity. I was unemployed in my hometown and offered a job here. Based your earlier posts, it appears as if you came here to make a lifestyle change because you can basically work from anywhere. An enviable position worthy of another congratulations.

"Getting by" has been more of a factor in my journey, so self-actualization hasn't been as high on my priorities yet We are not struggling and enjoy life, but we do have to make lifestyle compromises based on what we can afford, and need to put up with the daily grind of jobs, bosses, commuting, etc.

If you don't mind me presuming a little bit and making a prediction, I think your life will probably soon settle into a more routine existence once you've sampled all of the restaurants, seen all of the shows and took in all of the attractions you care to. At this point, I believe the people around you become more important than the places. This includes the friends you make and communities you are a part of, such as your child's school.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 AM

104 posts, read 254,788 times
almost every day i talk about how texas is better. how is texas not better?

saying that, i still <3 nyc

Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
ZDG, relax, you're still in Honeymoon phase. It'll last quite awhile.

Give it a few years, and things may begin to gnaw at you. The apt. will begin to shrink, probably about the time your daughter hits puberty; and/or #2 child arrives and becomes a toddler. Toys and kid stuff all over the apt., the older teenager blaring music like her room is a rock stadium, her friends calling and/or buzzing the bell 10 times per night. Please don't let subway service deteriorate as a consequence of budget cuts---that might change your tune alone.

I could go on, but why spoil your fun----ENJOY the Big Apple!!!!

I'm a born NYer, so can't really comment to the thread's title. I have always envied people not born here----it must really be something to come here for the first time.

I'll tell you this---I never really appreciated the place until I moved away for a time and then returned. Everyplace else (in the U.S.) seemed so small and second rate. It wasn't until I returned that I really noted and appreciated the SCALE of NYC. Gosh, its really, really big. Just flying in, from the air, the whole metro area is astounding, especially at night---compared to most other cities. Most cities are like oasis' in a dark desert. While NYC metro is like a universe of light in the night. It just goes on and on.

Here's a few things to do, while its still warm:

1) Try a trip on the Staten Island Ferry, not much to do in Staten Island, but the ride across the bay is worth it---and, everybody's got to do it at least once. Take one of the old ferries, which I'm told only run on the weekends (for tourists), there's more outside room. Ride up front, outside on the lower deck closest to the water. Let the spray of the bay hit your face. Just don't swallow any!!! I'm told there's some giant fish tank worthy of a look see. If your into baseball, there's a new minor league baseball stadium nearby, where the Staten Island Yankees play. A lot cheaper than the real Yankees!!!

2) If you have a car, or you can take a bus from the Port Authority, over to New Jersey, Weehaken (sp?), Blvd. East is the street that runs along the river atop the Palisades/heights. There's a spot where Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton, from there you have a full panoramic view of the city---its the best view of all. It really is somewhat amazing! All the buildings from end to end, its like 100 cities in one.

Walking in New Jersey - Travel Writing from Travel Insights (http://www.travelinsights.org/writing/newjersey.html - broken link)
Make sure to see "How to Get There?".

3) Go up to Fort Tyron Park/The Cloisters, up at the top of Washington Heights, Fort Washington to be exact, which is precisely opposite Fort Lee in New Jersey. The two forts are, I believe, the two closest points on the lower Hudson. There during the revolutionary war a chain was placed across the river as a blockade against the English; blocking travel on the river. It's also the points where the George Washington Bridge is anchored. The park contains the Cloisters museum, which the Rockerfellers gave to the city, and houses a collection of medieval armor. There's a nice restaurant where you can have brunch, lunch or dinner. Also, from the park, and general area, is a magnificent view of the Hudson and the Jersey Palisades.

Fort Tryon Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There's a picture of the Hudson, but the picture doesn't do the view justice.

The Cloisters Museum & Gardens | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

New Leaf - Washington Heights - New York, NY

4) Of course, there's also the Circle Line tour, which you may especially enjoy.

Circle-Line Sightseeing (http://www.circleline42.com/site/browse.aspx?group=1 - broken link)

You'll circumnavigate Manhattan Island and see it all: 3 Rivers, 7 major bridges, 5 boroughs, 25+ world renowned landmarks and Magnificent close-ups of the Statue of Liberty.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
One year of having a baby and we couldn't get out of the city fast enough.

Everyone's different. I suppose someone who moved to NYC older and richer than we were would hold on much more tightly than we did. DH and I grew up in NJ and spent our whole lives around the place and when the call came to go to Boston in our late 30s we figured what the hell.... Boston has been good to us so I guess I can't complain (but I will anyway, being a Jersey girl).

I adore coming back to visit and fantasize about moving back someday but suspect that will remain a fantasy. I'm a Taurus and there's only so much moving we are capable of. I doubt a move back to NYC will be appealing to me in my mid 50s when our kids are out of the house again. I see us on a farm by then--we're halfway there, we have the land in MA we just have to clear and plant and get some goats and chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City