Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 12,232 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am a young professional in my mid 20s, living on Long Island. I've been thinking about purchasing a small apartment in NYC. I would usually only use it on the weekends, as during the week I stay on LI. As an alternative, I was looking to try and find some weekend only / fractional condos, or hotel condos; but there doesn't seem to be much info about them on the web. Does anyone have any experience with these types of apartments? Budget is not huge, will be around $300-500 K.

My only other thought is maybe buy a larger place, and then see if I can sublet during the week.

EDIT: I'd like to be in Manhattan.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by LIBoating83; 08-31-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,628,130 times
Why not just save your $300-$500K and commute back and forth to LI? Not sure what the goal of spending $500K on a weekend apt is - are you looking for a place to crash after partying? Or a investment property? If your looking for investment, then your going to need to rent it out completely, and not only a weekdays.

Unless your rich, I don't see the point of having a place to crach for the weekend. And if your rich, then I'm assuming "budget" is not a word in your vocabulary.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 12,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Why not just save your $300-$500K and commute back and forth to LI? Not sure what the goal of spending $500K on a weekend apt is - are you looking for a place to crash after partying? Or a investment property? If your looking for investment, then your going to need to rent it out completely, and not only a weekdays.

Unless your rich, I don't see the point of having a place to crach for the weekend. And if your rich, then I'm assuming "budget" is not a word in your vocabulary.
Thanks for your comment. Well, in my mind real estate is never really a waste of money. Yes, I could see at somepoint it becoming an investment property. I'm not rich, but I have enough money to buy a second place.

In regards to my reasons why, it's mostly because I love the city and would love to live there. However because of my current job, I cannot live there full time. Many people first live in the city and then get the vacation home in the country. I'm kinda doing it in reverse! (if you can call LI the country).

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post

Many NYers have more than one home in the area. Many people who say, party in Manhattan keep an apartment to crash afterward---rather than drive or make the commute back to the suburbs. Many like a place near the work/business in the city and do the weekends at their suburban or country place. Not unusual at all. I've know people to have more than one apartment in the city. One uptown, one downtown, one east side, one west side. Some are rich, other simply choose to afford what they choose.

----------

OP, never heard of what your asking existing in the city. Might be a better idea to query a broker.

Or, how about just finding a share---it would, financially, appear that you could find a really great share in a really great building.

Or, you could purchase an apartment, then rent/share it out. Probably could find someone the opposite of yourself---wanting a place just for the work week, and won't need to use it on the weekends.

In NYC, the possibilities are endless.

Luck!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,255,339 times
The real estate term is pied a terre. The problem is that many (most?) co-op boards discourage such arrangements. (See: What is a Pied-a-Terre? — Manhattan Real Estate: New York City Real Estate Tips)

There are roommate shares, on Cragislist for example, that are specifically looking for part time/weekend only arrangements. They're usually in nice buildings.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,844,738 times
No Co-op board would allow this, but condos do. And there are time-shares in NYC. You just have to search for them.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:19 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,763 times
Aren't the timeshares more for vacationers, not exactly suitable for the OP's weekly needs?

What about residential hotels? Are there many of those left, not bent toward the super rich?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,498,075 times
Yes, a condo is the way to go. Plenty of people do this, not strange at all. It actually seems like heaven to me!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,717,750 times
If you are a member of a "Club" (commonly associated with the Ivy League like Cornell or Princeton Club.....but I think you can join for an extra fee without being an alumnus....there's also I believe a thing called Union Club that has reciprocal arrangements with them), you may for a fee be able to rent a Manhattan room on their grounds on a weekend only basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: