Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,218,806 times

Advertisements

Might seem like a dumb question but i'm just looking for a clearification. What areas are actually in the city itself of new york city? Like is long island in new york city limits or not, what about yonkers? Could someone please list all areas of new york city and some areas of new york that are close to nyc but not actually part of the city limits, so i can get a feel for where the city ends. Thank-you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,282,764 times
The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island. That's it.

Everything else is outside.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Thank-you. So are the boroughs the same thing as counties or do all of them make up new york city county or is there no county for new york city?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Thank-you. So are the boroughs the same thing as counties or do all of them make up new york city county or is there no county for new york city?
Each can be classified as a county.. Queens County, Kings County (Brooklyn), Richmond County (Staten Island), Bronx County, and New York County (Manhattan), but I don't think anyone really lists it like that..

Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,261,881 times
Analytical is right but just to clear up.

Some cities (Philly, Denver, San Francisco, etc. ) are their own county. Others (Chicago, Boston, LA, etc.) are in a county that also has some other towns in it. Others (Baltimore, a lot in Virginia) are cities that are not part of a county.

NYC is the only city in the U.S. that is actually made up of five different counties. Each boro is a county. There is no "New York City County," but Manhattan, which before 1898 was all there was to New York City, is New York County.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Thank-you for the clearifications, i understand now.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM

11,240 posts, read 18,711,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Each can be classified as a county.. Queens County, Kings County (Brooklyn), Richmond County (Staten Island), Bronx County, and New York County (Manhattan), but I don't think anyone really lists it like that..
One exception.....courts/legal do, i.e. Bronx County court, Kings County DA. In fact, similarly, in CT, where there's no county gov't except for the court system, this is the only time you ever hear the county name mentioned (except for Fairfield County, which is mentioned often to distinguish it as the "NY metro" portion of the state).

Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
One exception.....courts/legal do, i.e. Bronx County court, Kings County DA. In fact, similarly, in CT, where there's no county gov't except for the court system, this is the only time you ever hear the county name mentioned (except for Fairfield County, which is mentioned often to distinguish it as the "NY metro" portion of the state).
Ah yes, I figured there was some legal field that did it.. I meant to say, us "regular" people wouldn't use those names.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
To add another wrinkle, geographically, Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island, so it is correct that part of Long Island is within the city limits.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
To add another wrinkle, geographically, Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island, so it is correct that part of Long Island is within the city limits.
Yea, this one always bothered me.. because people would say Brooklyn/Queens are on Long Island.. which they physically are, but they're a part of the city... not Long Island... it's a little confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City