Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 40,097 times

Advertisements

I know ive been asking alot of questions all, but this is a big move! lol.

hi all, ill be taking the uptown A to 175th street and then walking to 179th street to take a look at a place between fort washington and broadway. what is the area like?? Safe? should I avoid certain places?? whats 179th street between broadway and ft washington like? I am subletting (prospectively) this place for the month of september while I look for a more permanent place in morningside or UWS. Thanks Yall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiaguy View Post
I know ive been asking alot of questions all, but this is a big move! lol.

hi all, ill be taking the uptown A to 175th street and then walking to 179th street to take a look at a place between fort washington and broadway. what is the area like?? Safe? should I avoid certain places?? whats 179th street between broadway and ft washington like? I am subletting (prospectively) this place for the month of september while I look for a more permanent place in morningside or UWS. Thanks Yall.
That is facing the highway approach to the George Wash. Br., which is covered by a bus terminal. 181 station is closer and a bit nicer than 175.

The area from 179 heading up to Fort Tryon Park, particularly from the Hudson to Fort Wash Ave, is really nice. 179 itself is a little noisier since a lot of cars coming up the Harlem River Drive take 179 a few blocks across to get the GWB. I actually did it just this Saturday. It's not bad there, and should be fine certainly for a month's stay, but maybe a little noisy and the bus terminal is nothing to look at.

Below 179 is nicer than it used to be, but I'd say not as nice as 179 to Corbin Plaza. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,325 times
If you can find something west of Ft. Washington and between 181 and 190, that should be the best area around Washington Heights.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Ft Washington itself is very quiet, especially when compared to the rest of the area. A lot of older people tend to live around there. Lots and lots of doctors offices. "The rule" for Washington Heights is usually west of Broadway, not west of Fort Washington. OP, I think your in an ideal spot because if you want a little more "life," and bustle just go to Broadway or keep going East. If you want nice and quiet just go to Fort Wash or keep going West. So your basically not far from either.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:28 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,325 times
My favorite street in the neighborhood is Cabrini between 181st and the park. Such beautiful co-op buildings overlooking the river and bridge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: