Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM

34 posts, read 95,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I have a question. I am from CA that moved to the city and now own a home in SI. SI is a strange place for me although I love my home. Location is great, but what is the deal with SI and outsiders and what is wrong with the Brooklyn pple. I hear about this from SI folks all the time. I can't figure out if SI don't like outsiders (which I think is true) or why SI hate the Brooklyn pple that moved to the Island. I live isolated on one the the hill that is highly residential so I am not exposed to apt or track homes which I guess most of the Brooklyn folks live.

Alot of the old SI people (such as myself and my family) have moved away from Staten Island. The people from Brooklyn perfer those paperthin townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo555 View Post
Alot of the old SI people (such as myself and my family) have moved away from Staten Island. The people from Brooklyn perfer those paperthin townhomes.
And yes, as anywhere else. Alot of the more affluent people are purchasing homes on SI as well that are not from Brooklyn. Of course, we stay away from the paperthink homes which are very unattractive. I understand that the city of SI is getting more strict regulations which is good.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 AM

24 posts, read 151,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I have a question. I am from CA that moved to the city and now own a home in SI. SI is a strange place for me although I love my home. Location is great, but what is the deal with SI and outsiders and what is wrong with the Brooklyn pple. I hear about this from SI folks all the time. I can't figure out if SI don't like outsiders (which I think is true) or why SI hate the Brooklyn pple that moved to the Island. I live isolated on one the the hill that is highly residential so I am not exposed to apt or track homes which I guess most of the Brooklyn folks live.
Basically, in 1965 the Verrazzano was built. Before then, from what I here, Staten Island had the vibe of a fishing town. We were distant, no bridges connected us to the other parts of the city, and it was an exclusive place to live. The population was really small, so chances are you knew everyone in your neighborhood, etc.

When the bridge was built, Brooklynites and developers realized that SI had a lot of space available that they could build on, and townhouses sprung up. Many native Staten Islanders blame the Brooklynites for ruining their towns and that small-town feel of SI.

Personally, as a native SIer with native ancestors, I don't blame the Brooklynites for moving here at all. It would have happened eventually, whether you liked it or not, and the fact that a bridge wasn't built till the 60s was pretty late in my eyes.

Anyway, that's the basic background, and why a lot of natives blame problems on people from Brooklyn.

Hope I could be of help.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer View Post
Geez...you really have to be from SI to truly understand the place. Very odd to say the least. Just do yourself a favor should you decide to move there, move to the North
Shore. Central and southern SI is loaded with, how can I put this nicely, undesirables.
No, you do not have to be from Staten Island to understand it. I originally came from Manhattan, and then Brooklyn. So what is your definition of odd? Staten Island is a very family- oriented borough of NYC that is suburban and in some parts, semi-urban, depending on what part of the Island you choose to live. There is a sense of community here and pride, and many people attend their respective houses or worship. Most people who are homeowners keep their properties beautiful, and the schools are pretty good. I guarantee you that it is not for everybody. If you are looking to live on welfare, and hang on the corner with a bottle of beer, then it is not for you. Most people here work very hard, to keep their homes. I happen to live in the Southeastern part of it, along with many NYC policemen and firefighters. So what is your definition of "undesirables?" My definition of an undesirable person is: One that does not want to work, and leaches off others, is a pedophile or rapes women, has been incarcerated for a felony crime, abuses drugs and alcohol and does not want to get help, or sells drugs to our children so that they can afford BLING, BLING, or preys on our senior citizens. IN WHICH CATEGORY DO YOU SEEM TO FIT IN?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
Undesirables and "Soprano wannabe" example all bottled up in one poster individual right here. This kid watched that episode where Adriana gets buried in the Pine Barrens too many times.
Slain girl's parents rage at killer

Let me lay it out for you Rubies. There are good hardworking people on Staten Island just like anywhere else, especially on the north shore of SI though. Many people are family oriented, proud of their heritage (obvious with the Italians), etc. However, there are many bad apples on that little island. Some of which seem to have left a humble rowhome life in Brooklyn to move to Staten Island to get caught up in this keeping up with the Joneses mentality. I cant count how many times I have been passed on double solid lines on roads such as Arthur Kill by maniac 17 year old driving $50k+ cars, and I was going 5-10mph over the limit. People on Staten Island are so SI-centric they think the world revolves around Brooklyn, SI, Manhattan, Monmouth County NJ and Florida.

Many people on Staten Island are wannabe Short Hills & Scarsdale types with these gigantic, gaudy, crappy construction homes. On a cloudy day the new construction really looks like a shantytown, you would think you were in Kiryas Joel on steroids. For a place whose residents often represent Brooklyn as their home and their Italian heritages, these association are a disgrace to the hardworking humble people of the other boroughs and the real crux of what Italian heritage is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
No, you do not have to be from Staten Island to understand it. I originally came from Manhattan, and then Brooklyn. So what is your definition of odd? Staten Island is a very family- oriented borough of NYC that is suburban and in some parts, semi-urban, depending on what part of the Island you choose to live. There is a sense of community here and pride, and many people attend their respective houses or worship. Most people who are homeowners keep their properties beautiful, and the schools are pretty good. I guarantee you that it is not for everybody. If you are looking to live on welfare, and hang on the corner with a bottle of beer, then it is not for you. Most people here work very hard, to keep their homes. I happen to live in the Southeastern part of it, along with many NYC policemen and firefighters. So what is your definition of "undesirables?" My definition of an undesirable person is: One that does not want to work, and leaches off others, is a pedophile or rapes women, has been incarcerated for a felony crime, abuses drugs and alcohol and does not want to get help, or sells drugs to our children so that they can afford BLING, BLING, or preys on our senior citizens. IN WHICH CATEGORY DO YOU SEEM TO FIT IN?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
In a way I feel sort of bad for Italian-Americans in NYC. They gave up their deeply rooted New York identities to go to places like SI, Long Island, and Jersey. They lost the signficant blueprint they had on NYC. They lost a part of their culture.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Like these guys?

http://www.tunetribe.nl/assets/images/articles/article_image_1180.jpg (broken link)
THIS photo typifies what it SEEMS TO BE THE TYPICAL WAR between the people of the North Shore of Staten Island versus the Shore Shore. When is it going to end, and what will it take? I have lived on SI for over 30 years, and is still going like yesterday. Enough is enough!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
According to the Census over 50% of the people who live in Staten Island are Italian, the highest percentage of any community in America. It has an impact on the culture.
I AM NOT ITALIAN, but love the Italian people. They have made so many contributions to the CONUS, no matter where they move to. Many of the skycrappers bridges and tunnels that we have in NYC have been built by them. Thank GOD THEY are so gifted and innovative! They keep their houses beautiful, are full of pride and joy. Their food is fantastic, (countless of NYC restaurants are Italian,) they are generous, loving, caring people, and they have built MOST OF NEW YORK CITY. There has to be a reason WHY SO MANY TOURISTS visit ITALY, each year! Many of the LOSERS on this thread seem to be jealous of their culture. Most popes in history have been Italian, and VATICAN CITY is in Italy, even though it does have a separate identity. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? People of America boycott You Tube and MTV that is giving the ITALIANS from Staten Island a bad name. And stop listening to that degenerate RAP JUNK that is called music(?).

Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I AM NOT ITALIAN, but love the Italian people. They have made so many contributions to the CONUS, no matter where they move to. Many of the skycrappers bridges and tunnels that we have in NYC have been built by them. Thank GOD THEY are so gifted and innovative! They keep their houses beautiful, are full of pride and joy. Their food is fantastic, (countless of NYC restaurants are Italian,) they are generous, loving, caring people, and they have built MOST OF NEW YORK CITY. There has to be a reason WHY SO MANY TOURISTS visit ITALY, each year! Many of the LOSERS on this thread seem to be jealous of their culture. Most popes in history have been Italian, and VATICAN CITY is in Italy, even though it does have a separate identity. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? People of America boycott You Tube and MTV that is giving the ITALIANS from Staten Island a bad name. And stop listening to that degenerate RAP JUNK that is called music(?).
you're right the italian culture and people are warm, talented and hard working, but the guido culture found on SI is a joke. so don't confuse italians and guidos

Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4535 View Post
Short Post with Relevant Information

If you are seriously considering moving to Staten Island, then you should look at the North Shore. I was born and raised in Staten Island and lived there for 20 years before leaving for college in Massachusetts. I must agree with some of the posters, South Shore culture is deffinitely lacking. If you are a person from the city then you would feel more at home on the North Shore. West Brighton, Grymes Hill, Ward Hill, St. George, are all nice neigborhoods. Yes, the people on the South Shore generally have more money than those on the North Shore but I would not describe them as affluent. Its more of a Good-fellas/Sopranos vibe with lots of tans, fake nails, and tract houses. And many South Shore residents are heavily in debt and live way above their means as this forclosure map illustrates:

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/nymagforemap1.jpg (broken link)
HERE WE GO AGAIN, with the WAR between the North Shore versus the South Shore of Staten Island. When are you guys are going to stop? Enough is Enough! Some Brooklynites even have the audacity to call Staten Island, ''SATAN ISLAND," Please grow up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City