Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student (Ph.D. in Physics) of NYU . I will be joining NYU in the fall of 2007. I have started searching for off-campus housing. Although I will be getting fellowship from the University, in a graduate student's budget it will be difficult for me to stay in expensive Manhattan apartments. My budget for housing will be something around $700 per month. I am ready to co lease any 2/3 bedroom apartment so that the cost per person per month will be around 700-750 dollars per month. My first and foremost requirement will be safety and nice surroundings. Also I need to stay at some place not very far from NYU. So some place around 30 minutes away from the campus (at the most- though nearer the better) will be fine. Due financial constraints I am considering to stay in either Brooklyn, Queens or NJ. But I have never been there. So don't have any idea about these places. Could anyone please suggest some good and safe neighborhoods in these areas where I can consider staying in during my Ph.D. One more important requirement will be a subway station nearby. I will be glad if anyone could spare some time to help me out. Thanks a lot for reading this mail. I am waiting for the replies. Regards.
Bhaskar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
You need to do some serious research about roommates, several if possible. Your budget is extremely tight. You might have to stretch your commute time a bit because with that tight of a budget it might be difficult to find something even 30 minutes from NYU. You need to hit roommates.com ASAP.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM

67 posts, read 352,689 times
These places are still affordable if you get a roommate. If you want to move to Queens, I suggest these areas: Sunnyside, Astoria, Woodside (right off the city), and other safe and convenient areas: Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Briarwood, or Kew Gardens.

In Brooklyn: try Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst Midwood or Sheepshed bay.

Jersey City in NJ is affordable too. My friend has a one bedroom that was going for 700. The area is sketchy in some blocks, but I guess you get used to the commute. You can take the path train to Christopher Street and it’s 5-7 min walk to NYU.

Try looking in craigslist or oodle.com

Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 34,844 times
I live in Astoria-- I have to just say I'm not a big fan of NYC generally speaking. Astoria has a bit more of a towny feel to it, or as much as you can get in NYC. It's also very close to Manhattan. The housing is definitely on the high side, though. Not like manhattan, but still. it's hard to find a two bath apartment, so don't count on that. the most reasonable are the 2-beds...3 beds can soar over $2200/month, and sometimes 2-beds can be converted to 3. It's pretty much like this throughout Queens, although in some eastern parts of queens you can there are more single-family houses avaliable, but still pricey. Long Island is like the high-priced suburb of NYC, mostly single-family houses, but all taxes higher than most of Queens. I don't know about Brooklyn, I've never been there, but some areas have high crime rates. Generlly northern brooklyn isn't as sketchy. I would agree with the places fsval mentioned in Queens. If you're looking at the five boroughs, I would certainly recommend a parochial or private school, the public schools arent that great. Some people even homeschool.

Jersey's nice but the big cities can get dangerous crimewise, namely newark and jersey city. But there are other areas of jersey that are a 30-40 min. commute to the city, like maplewood, cranford, hackensak, passaic, etc.

but for your budget, you're going to have to find a roommate if you live in any of the five boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City