U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 AM

6 posts, read 10,706 times

Advertisements

In the current economic environment I'd like to know what is the margin of negotiation for a rent. Is asking a 10 to 20% discount reasonable?

In my case it could be that my company would be directly paying the rent. Being a well-known company, would this be an incentive for the landlord and hence increased the possibilities of negotiation?

Also related to the brokers, if they get a fee based on the actual rental price, he might just not be very interested in reducing the price....is this correct?

Thanks for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM

25,302 posts, read 38,792,045 times
if you're not paying the rent why would you negotiate for cheaper? its not coming out of your pockets...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-13-2009, 07:27 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,031,057 times
It may not be coming out of his pocket, but it is a part of his compensation, and any right thinking manager would look at the costs associated with his employment. Rising cost may effect his remuneration and/or his position directly.

Otherwise, why not go out and rent something for 50 grand per month?

Also, I suspect the OP might want to keep the apartment when or if his employment ceases.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 PM

25,302 posts, read 38,792,045 times
50 ,000? That's it? I thought most companies capped their housing allowance at 75K a month.

In this day and age where some people have to pay thousands of dollars for health insurance, he should be lucky that he is getting a housing allowance. So take as much as you can get

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,679,725 times
I'd have to imagine his company capped his rent. So, he might have a $2k/month budget and he might want to know if he should be looking at places advertised for, like, $2k or more like $2400 or so. It's a reasonable question.

I'd say search in the 10-20% range above what your company will pay. If you like a place, tell the LL/Broker/whoever that your company will pay for $X and not a penny more. If they say "yes", great! If they come back with something close to that number, you might want to just pay the extra $50-100/month on your own.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:49 AM

6 posts, read 10,706 times
Indeed what my company will pay is capped and what i want cost approx 25% more, hence the question about negotiation.

Will the broker help to negotiate?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City