Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 16,770 times

Advertisements

A friend's daughter may be moving to this address in Inwood. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this location, the neighborhood in general, and how safe it is to walk to and from the subway? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM

306 posts, read 636,211 times
If you google this address, the building looks to be OK. Still, out of all the neighborhoods in NYC, why Inwood? Last time I was there (late 90's), this area left a lot to be desired.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
I know for a fact that 623 W 207th Street is west of Broadway around Cooper Place, meaning it's a one-block walk to the (A) express train and five blocks to the (1) train. West of you, you have Inwood Hill Park and south of you is Fort Tryon Park.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 16,770 times
Thanks. I believe reasons are affordable rent, close to subway. She will have roomates, so perhaps they suggested that location. I am just gathering intelligence for friend.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
I used to live a few blocks south of there and had no issues at all. In fact, this may be a nicer area than where I was. It actually looks to be just west of Broadway, so the northern terminal stop of the A train will be no more than a half-block away. I'd say it's perfectly fine there, especially if she has roommates. And cotb16 is correct that the building is less than two blocks from a very nice park.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 51,066 times
Yes, I know this area. It's not bad. She's very close to the subway and the park, which is very nice in the main area where there are tennis courts, playgrounds, etc. but there are wooded sections that I wouldn't go too deep into. There is a nice farmer's market on Saturdays and a few decent places to eat. I lived there back in the early 90s and the crime from drug trafficking was really bad but even then I didn't feel uncomfortable.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
That part of 207th is not a bad area at all, though the only consideration might be shopping, since the main commercial areas in the immediate vicinity do not offer the variety of other Manhattan neighborhoods. Closer to the park, on Seaman, Indian Road, etc., the neighborhood is a quiet residential district, and generally the neighborhoods west of Broadway are much better.

There is more shopping variety that's a short train ride away. On W 225th there's a Target, and further up Broadway in Kingsbridge/Riverdale areas there are larger supermarkets, a great store called Garden Gourmet for produce and other items.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
I used to live close to there, on Seaman Avenue. I really enjoyed living there - it's a nice neighborhood. Inwood Hill Park is a great park, though it gets really crowded in the summer and I think women alone should stay out of the nature trails (sadly a female jogger was murdered there several years back).

Best to live there without a car because finding a space can be quite time consuming, especially in summer (ours was broken into a couple of times as well). There's a good mix of people and I found it easy to get to know our neighbors.

You can also walk to Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters, which is lovely. You can walk to Target if you go the other direction over the Broadway bridge.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
It is pretty nice up there. I live just south of there under Ft Tryon Park and occassionally walk up to the Farmer's Market or to Indian Road Cafe.

I say "go for it"!! IMO, the neighborhood will improve as (if?) rents in lower Manhattan remain as high as they are. Always a good idea to check out the neighborhood at night though... maybe your friend should take a ride up there before fully committing.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,925 times
Default Area around Broadway and 207th street is safe

I live in Inwood, a block away from the address specified, and I can tell you that the area directly around Broadway and 207th street is safe at all times of the day and night--Inwood ranks "average" for crime in NYC, which now has the lowest crime rate of the largest 25 cities in the US--but that doesn't mean that I'd walk alone at night in remote areas of Inwood Hill Park or down near the industrial areas near the Harlem River. It's a family neighborhood, predominantly Dominican, with many stores that cater to Latinos, but the influx of young and not-so-young professionals, academics, and artists who have been priced out of other parts of Manhattan have helped stimulate the opening of several wine bars, 2 upscale coffee shops (including a Starbucks), a 24-hour Rite-Aid drug store, a sports bar, and a large discount wine and liquor store. Transportation via the A-train to Midtown (30 minutes) is excellent. The large and attractive Inwood Hill Park overlooks the Hudson River and has many options for recreation: tennis, basketball, baseball, jogging, hiking, nature watching, a dog run. Other than a Target store (15 minutes away on foot), the neighborhood lacks 'big box' stores--e.g., major supermarkets, Staples, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, department stores--but these are available within 30 minutes downtown.

Last edited by ipsa_r; 09-11-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: add information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: