Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 AM

684 posts, read 1,820,376 times

Advertisements

I filled out both of my apartment applications that I received yesterday..and sent them out !! No procrastinating this time around. Soooo glad I went through this process..im going to be so much more prepared for my next interview

Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 14,107 times
Ok i have one SUPER big question that has been in the back of my mind since before i got the letter from river place ii and now the related application.

A few years ago i had a credit card that was sent to collections and i guess it became an outstanding debt. It's relatively small at about 3-4k but i haven't begun to pay it off yet. I wanted to know if this would crush my chances of getting the apartment, again assuming i get past the income check part. If i begin to pay it down now will it look better come time to check, mind you my interview is Aug 18th?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriiyus View Post
Ok i have one SUPER big question that has been in the back of my mind since before i got the letter from river place ii and now the related application.

A few years ago i had a credit card that was sent to collections and i guess it became an outstanding debt. It's relatively small at about 3-4k but i haven't begun to pay it off yet. I wanted to know if this would crush my chances of getting the apartment, again assuming i get past the income check part. If i begin to pay it down now will it look better come time to check, mind you my interview is Aug 18th?
Again..

*Late Rent payment history
*Filed for bankruptcy within last 5yrs
*Income to debt ratio 38% or higher

Do you think you fall into category 3? Only you know that for sure.. But I cant stress enough that you just cant worry about that..because there isnt anything you can do about that NOW..but do your best to pay it off. Come in with all of your paperwork ready..and hopefully it all works out. In all honesty (and in NO WAY here am i trying to be rude) thats something you should be working to pay off regardless of this apartment opportunity.

You'll only have an opportunity at the apartment if you go for it. Its already on your report..the best you can do is interview..put your best foot forward and hopefully it'll work out for you.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM

20 posts, read 42,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Again..

*Late Rent payment history
*Filed for bankruptcy within last 5yrs
*Income to debt ratio 38% or higher

Do you think you fall into category 3? Only you know that for sure.. But I cant stress enough that you just cant worry about that..because there isnt anything you can do about that NOW..but do your best to pay it off. Come in with all of your paperwork ready..and hopefully it all works out. In all honesty (and in NO WAY here am i trying to be rude) thats something you should be working to pay off regardless of this apartment opportunity.

You'll only have an opportunity at the apartment if you go for it. Its already on your report..the best you can do is interview..put your best foot forward and hopefully it'll work out for you.
Serilyus,

I have the same concern. I lost my job a few months back and been collecting unemployment since. Even before that I been getting paycuts from my job for about a year until they finally let me go. Im definitely in the same boat because EVERYTHING I owe is in collections. Now all i get is unemployment still and some random checks for doing on call jobs. If i get the apartment it would be a blessing because all the work that I do is in the vicinity of the apartment building and the rent is cheap. I would be saving money on both transportation and rent which would be a HUGE help on my debts.

Anyway, they accepted my unemployment and some of my random on call jobs as legit income and I am getting interviewed on the 17th of August. Im am trying to do my best to get my paperwork together but it my chances doesnt look good because i think i owe national grid and con ed some $$$. (yeah, it got that bad for me...)

All i can do is hope for the best and maybe be mochanyc6 and Jkid's neighbor. Haha!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:47 PM

130 posts, read 236,011 times
ok just got through singing my lease. the day i move in i receive my keys got a week to pack. good luck guys. bye!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM

52 posts, read 109,727 times
I got 3 more days for my interview im knockout it out the park

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 23,232 times
I'm just curious, does anyone know if they allow skydiving from the rooftop?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times
Hello all,
I have been following this forum for quite some time in preparation for my interview with the Hpd. Contrary to what I have read on this thread, the guy who interviewed me was quite nice. I did however get rejected because my 6 pay-stub gross income exceeded the maximum income range for the studio apt at Silver Towers. My YTD gross income was right on the money though. I even explained to guy interviewing me that it is more accurate to take the YTD calculation. He agreed but said there was nothing he could do. I am wondering, is there any way to appeal this? Make a case for the Hpd to accept my YTD gross income instead? Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. Also, how do I go about appealing my case? -Thank you!!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 22,817 times
I just received a letter stating that my income is higher than it can be for the apartment. However they calculated it wrong! There is no way that I make 31,200 that they claim I make if I only get paid 15 dollars an hour and 35 hours a week.

This ruins everything.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Theres 2 different calculations that they do..and im going to assume that since you dont have any pay stubs to provide they did the other calculation. Sorry for my vaugeness..I cant recall exactly how they calculate. But aren't you eligible to appeal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery