Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 AM

270 posts, read 748,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarleny809 View Post
I didn't apply to 80/20 just regular housing!
I don't know I'm just hoping they call me and tell me I'm eligible
im not talking about 80/20, nycha has a special program called " outreach" that can select your application based on a priority code they assign to it based on the info you put on the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 PM

also..if you can keep us posted when the call u and give you an answer..so we can see how long from interview until response is.. I know it can vary though, they did say 30 days, but I wonder if its really only a week..or they really take the whole 30 days to respond
Thanks

Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,909 times
Hi, I just got an interview for the related housing on w42nd street. I initially applied when my boyfriend was unemployed, but he just got a new job a couple of months ago and now with his income we make over the total annual income requirement. Since I applied when he was unemployed do we need to provide his documents still? If so, will we be automatically disqualified?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Not to bring your hopes down, but according to my experience with these interviews , and believe me, I HAVE EXPERIENCE...having gone to 4 interviews this year and failed ALL. If its not ONE thing its always ANOTHER. You practically have to be LUCKY when your time comes to go to an interview.
SO, from "MY" experience with these people...they will use what is CURRENT!, not the past. Also, it doesnt matter if 3/4 of the year you were paid for example $20/hour, and NOW on the LAST quarter of the year you get paid $22/hour...they WILL USE what is current. SO if 3/4 of the year you WERE gonna make $20,000, based on your pay rate, but now you are gonna make $25,000 based on your NEW payrate, they ONLY care about the future and what they PROJECT you will now make, in the next 12 months, BASED on the most RECENT paystubs you bring them.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,909 times
Thanks for sharing! So if I initially applied with my boyfriend, do I still have to go into the interview with him? Can I change the application to just myself?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 PM

I believe that yes you can. Things change, they should know that. Maybe you guys "broke" up. They don't have to know everything. I say, give it shot. If your income ALONE meets the requirements, you should be good. But keep in mind , if it's you alone, you may only get a studio. You would have to be extra lucky to be granted a 1 bedroom. I hope they give you the 1 bedroom though! Good luck!

edit: I would also just call them and ask them if since your situation changed, and now you are alone, if its still ok

Last edited by emulator; 12-06-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 12:41 PM

32 posts, read 82,066 times
Hi emulator,

I know you've been through the process so I am hoping you can answer my question I posted on my own thread. I'll summarize it here.

Based on self-employment guidelines, HDC says this:
Quote:
For self-employed applicants net income is analyzed, which includes net business income from current and prior years. Such applicants must have at least two complete years in the same self-employed field. Every applicant’s income, both current and recent past, will be considered in evaluating eligibility and used to document a continuing need for housing assistance.
Can you answer this: when they calculate prior years' income, do they analyze your tax documents or do they take the income directly from you 1099? Did you ever use a 1099 or always a W2? Thanks!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 PM

I may not be of much help there, I have only shown them w2's. I'm not self-employed so I wouldnt know the procedure, But I do know they wanna see the net pay for your total year

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM

32 posts, read 82,066 times
Thanks. That actually does help me. I assume they are going to treat my 1099s like they do W2s.

Did they add up 3 years of your W2s and take an average? And did they compare that average to your 6 pay stubs? If they did, did they take the higher of the 2 averages? My 6 pay stubs meet the income guidelines, so I'm trying to figure out if 3 years of W2s and 1099s need to match that or I'm fine with just my present income. It's so scary!!! It would feel so good to go in prepared in every way I can.

Any details on that are helpful.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM

they will take whatever highest # they can come up with. So if your 2009 tax return is higher than your latest 6 stubs, they'll use the 2009 taxes and vice versa. If you made less last year, but are going to make more this year, they'll use your last 6 stubs. In my case, this very situation destroyed my chances. Every time, if they noticed I MADE IT! with my last 6 stubs, they then turn to my last years taxes and say it was higher so they have to use that. Putting me over by measly dollars. I still think, it's up to WHO you get at the interview. They can ultimately decide if they wanna help or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City