Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM

32 posts, read 82,058 times

Advertisements

It does seem strange that there is no ONE way that they calculate income. In your case, I find it interesting that they could take a previous years' tax return and use it as your current income. They didn't average it or anything? Also, when you say they used last years' taxes, did they look at your W2 or your actual taxes? Your W2 amount and taxes are probably identical, but my statements vs. my taxes are actually different because of self-employment.

It'll be interesting to see how they calculate my convoluted income. I should get my final pay stubs for the year in a couple of weeks and I'd love to do my taxes before the interview so that they have to use my most current taxes.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 30,605 times
Hi Emulator, just joined this forum and was intregued by your determination...i myself just recently had an interview for Bruckner By The Bridge, whats the latest status for you for Bruckner?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 AM

270 posts, read 748,704 times
hi wonders, on this one we screwed up, and it was all OUR fault this time, but again..more knowledge and experience lol
My wife NEVER reported tips prior to 2010. So they asked her if she ALWAYS got tips at her jobs for the "8" YEARS she worked there, and she said yes, and that made all the difference in them NOT wanting to continue! She said that because she knowingly withing income for so long that she could not be eligible for the program, sort of because they think she'll be doing that in the future. We REALLLLLY tried to explain that she voluntarily included her tips on her pay stubs this year because she wanted to from this year on,and report her tips.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM

270 posts, read 748,704 times
update: well today was my smoothest interview of all the interviews I had this year. After failing 4 interviews for low income apartments this year, for one thing or another, today, the NYCHA interview went smoothly and we were finally able to complete it in full. The lady was nice and humorous. She said with 3 weeks we should receive a response by mail, and that if we dont hear anything within 3 months to call them. We asked her that if we get denied for this apartment do we continue to be on the waiting list and she grinned and smirked and said..I don't think they're gonna deny you guys, everything looks good, the only thing left now is the criminal check and background checks and verifications and what not. SO fingers crossed and keep u guys updated, oh and we had to choose from 4 developments all in uptown Manhattan. We took the lowest one which was WAGNER, located from 120th-124th streets, between FDR drive and 2nd ave. The others were Lincoln , Polo Grounds and I forgot the other one, but it was like 155th street. We're trying to stay as low as possible and as " EAST" as possible. Our lives revolve around lower Manhattan, so 120th and 1st and 2nd ave , was the best possible. I figured, projects are projects and you make the neighborhood and also your OWN apartment is all that matters.

Last edited by emulator; 12-14-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 07:15 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Lola, it might be helpful to look up 24 C.F.R. §5.609 (Code of Federal Regulations) as to how annual income is calculated. While I'm not fully certain, I do think this is what HUD, etc. is "forced" to use. Something to discuss with your legal advisor if you have one. Convoluted is a good choice of words. If you look at 24 C.F.R. §5.609(c)(4), it says something about paid medical bills not counting as income... or something. So it seems there are a bunch of exceptions that can help you. Yup, convoluted.

emulator, good luck.

grimace8

Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Regarding situations where they'd look at past years' income for calculating, see 24 C.F.R. §5.609(d)

Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 AM

32 posts, read 82,058 times
grimace! You are a God send. How do you know this stuff?
You should get paid for this.

Thank you so much. I found the statute online.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolabrigida View Post
grimace! You are a God send. How do you know this stuff?
You should get paid for this.

Thank you so much. I found the statute online.
Lola, what's funny is: If your post wasn't at the top of page 8, I would not have seen it. By the time I first clicked on this thread, it was already 8 pages long, so I was reading bits & pieces of it. Typically what I do is, the first post and the last page if I stumble into a long thread that I was not closely following from the get-go. As for how I "know", well, I don't. I guess you can say I have good search skills. It's nice to be thanked but anyone reading this still should run any federal information past their legal advisor in order to avoid misinterpretation, etc. For example, in 24 C.F.R. §5.609 it seems (to me, at least) to say capital gains aren't income. How can that be I wonder. Maybe the government thinks an average HUD beneficiary doesn't have the know-how to invest for substanial capital gains. Or, it could be wrong interpretation on my part.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,305 times
my application for nycha was denied because my son's father has a criminal record but we are no longer together and i never added him to my application for nycha but still his background affects me so i made a fair hearing but i did not have a lawyer so my statemments were not good enough to win the hearing so now im gonna do another hearing any advise on how to win this hearing?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,565 times
Since they check everyones backround they should check the maintains backround too so
e take drugs or been locked up. So next time check the people u work with never know!! whos who
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City