Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 70,772 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have Section 8 and applied for Frederick E. Samuels houses in NYCHA.
I was wondering if the surrounding area or these projects bad? Does vacancies move fast in these buildings? Will I have to take a private apt?
I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through this process.
Please no haters bashing public housing or section 8.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
those are rehabs....where NYCHA took over a privately owned building, renovated it, and now its public housing. i can say that that area is probably the most dangerous part of harlem...and i would not advise living there.

http://gis.nyc.gov/nycha/im/AddressMap.do (broken link)

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
those are rehabs....where NYCHA took over a privately owned building, renovated it, and now its public housing. i can say that that area is probably the most dangerous part of harlem...and i would not advise living there.

NYCHA GIS (http://gis.nyc.gov/nycha/im/AddressMap.do - broken link)
Thanks Seventh floor, is it also unsafe within these buildings?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 28,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

NYCHA GIS (http://gis.nyc.gov/nycha/im/AddressMap.do - broken link)
Do you know anything about Harlem? Growing up in the Wagner Houses in the early 90s, I can tell you that that was and remains to this day one of the most drug and crime-plagued developments in Manhattan or the Bronx (I'm not too knowledgeable about Queens or Brooklyn housing). Gentrification in the area around Lenox Ave. has resulted in heavier policing of the projects in the vicinity. I don't live in Harlem anymore, but I was right around where the Frederick E. Samuels Apartments is this past July and it's a very communal place now, old people, young children, all outside until late at night right around the projects. Very relaxed. While East Harlem has improved, its public housing is still pretty rough as gentrification hasn't really made any considerable inroads past 3rd ave. Taino Towers (not NYCHA, but run-down nonetheless) and Wagner are desolate past about 6PM. You won't get caught in cross-fire like in the late 80s early 90s, but I can tell you for a fact that any stranger to Wagner runs a pretty high risk of getting jumped or robbed. Crime rates are down all over, but it's never wise to wander around a strange project due to concentrated poverty. Especially not Wagner. NYPD has installed observation towers up and down Lenox, but 1st Ave. is pretty deserted and it's open season around there for muggings, rapes, assaults...

Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcnyc View Post
Do you know anything about Harlem? Growing up in the Wagner Houses in the early 90s, I can tell you that that was and remains to this day one of the most drug and crime-plagued developments in Manhattan or the Bronx (I'm not too knowledgeable about Queens or Brooklyn housing). Gentrification in the area around Lenox Ave. has resulted in heavier policing of the projects in the vicinity. I don't live in Harlem anymore, but I was right around where the Frederick E. Samuels Apartments is this past July and it's a very communal place now, old people, young children, all outside until late at night right around the projects. Very relaxed. While East Harlem has improved, its public housing is still pretty rough as gentrification hasn't really made any considerable inroads past 3rd ave. Taino Towers (not NYCHA, but run-down nonetheless) and Wagner are desolate past about 6PM. You won't get caught in cross-fire like in the late 80s early 90s, but I can tell you for a fact that any stranger to Wagner runs a pretty high risk of getting jumped or robbed. Crime rates are down all over, but it's never wise to wander around a strange project due to concentrated poverty. Especially not Wagner. NYPD has installed observation towers up and down Lenox, but 1st Ave. is pretty deserted and it's open season around there for muggings, rapes, assaults...
are you addressing me with your response? im confused, because you seem to pretty much back up what i said. also, if u did not know, frederick e. samuels is NYCHA, making it the projects. as a matter of fact, last week there was a police involved shootign there where the cops shot and killed a young man high on angel dust. the young man had killed his mother's boyfriend and another man, then the cops came.

i dont see how wagner is even in the matter of discussion as that NYCHA development is on east harlem, and the OP asked about central harlem.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 28,379 times
I was trying to demonstrate that you're not right in steering her away from pursuing housing at frederick e. samuel with your false reports of it being some sort of deathtrap. Clearly, if she has section 8, she is not rich... someone who is struggling can do much worse than to end up in that part of harlem. the east side, around wagner would be a step down from the neighborhood around frederick e. samuel. Would I suggest frederick e. samuel to someone middle class... Never! but that's not the issue here. as for the violence, it can happen anywhere in Harlem. a couple of kids were shot outside of Taft projects on the east side the other day, so I don't see what your point is. i'm curious, do you spend all of your time traveling to different projects all over NY? I'm a little incredulous to believe all of this "firsthand" advice you seem to be giving people as a self-proclaimed expert

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcnyc View Post
I was trying to demonstrate that you're not right in steering her away from pursuing housing at frederick e. samuel with your false reports of it being some sort of deathtrap. Clearly, if she has section 8, she is not rich... someone who is struggling can do much worse than to end up in that part of harlem. the east side, around wagner would be a step down from the neighborhood around frederick e. samuel. Would I suggest frederick e. samuel to someone middle class... Never! but that's not the issue here. as for the violence, it can happen anywhere in Harlem. a couple of kids were shot outside of Taft projects on the east side the other day, so I don't see what your point is. i'm curious, do you spend all of your time traveling to different projects all over NY? I'm a little incredulous to believe all of this "firsthand" advice you seem to be giving people as a self-proclaimed expert
first off i've been to projects in every boro except staten island (just drove past them in SI) and just because somebody doesnt have enough money doesnt mean that they can find somewhere "decent" not all NYCHA developments are the pits of hell....my wife is from the projects too trust me i spend more than enough time there....i wont call myself an expert, but i can definitely advise somebody on this forum where to live. as for frederick douglass, i havent taken a stance of the buildings themselves because ive never been in them. but the neighborhood itself is crap. and that i stand by. and i advised the OP to look elsewhere just off the strength of the neighborhood.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-28-2009 at 11:22 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM

172 posts, read 590,109 times
I actually live in Fredrick Samuel now. I also moved in with section 8. I wish you luck and I hope you don't end up like me......on the top floor of a five story walk up. That's one of the drawbacks of this development, Theres about 30 5-7 story buildings but only about 2 have elevators....the top floor sucks but i had no choice....my building is actually quiet, there are very few teenagers...but the development is scattered across many streets and avenues, so some buildings will be rowdy and some quiet... So good luck...I'm actually transfering out because I need another bedroom and can't handle another walk up while carrying grocerys and laundry and 3 kids....I'll miss my quiet building tho, my only bad experience was coming home at 4 am to find 2 crackheads getting high in the lobby, but they were polite and said good morning, lol

Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 31,271 times
Theirs no heat theirs no heat theirs no heat what is your problem

Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
I actually live in Fredrick Samuel now. I also moved in with section 8. I wish you luck and I hope you don't end up like me......on the top floor of a five story walk up. That's one of the drawbacks of this development, Theres about 30 5-7 story buildings but only about 2 have elevators....the top floor sucks but i had no choice....my building is actually quiet, there are very few teenagers...but the development is scattered across many streets and avenues, so some buildings will be rowdy and some quiet... So good luck...I'm actually transfering out because I need another bedroom and can't handle another walk up while carrying grocerys and laundry and 3 kids....I'll miss my quiet building tho, my only bad experience was coming home at 4 am to find 2 crackheads getting high in the lobby, but they were polite and said good morning, lol
Thanks for the info., it's good to hear from someone who lives there.
They haven't called me yet.I don't mind a walk-up. Do you remember how long you were on the waiting list? I am trying to be patient but I really want to move. Do you have problems with heat?
Thanks, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City