Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM

57 posts, read 213,429 times

Advertisements

why are they desirable?
and what % of homes would you say are brownstones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Many brownstones are single family homes. Others are owner-occupied with one or two rental units, but the NICE thing is that the owners usually have nice gardens in the back, often period details in the woodwork inside and charming rooms. They're expensive homes, usually starting at a few million and going up from there, depending on width (the wider the better) and condition.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,897 times
We own a brownstone in Brooklyn, NY. I would say it was the price that attracted us. However we are extremely happy with the owner duplex, high ceilings, garden in the back, two rental units and large bedrooms. My neighbors say they love the high ceilings and garden in the back. Others say they love the original details. I'm not sure what % of homes are brownstones. They are all over....Manhattan, Brooklyn, Albany, Baltimore, DC...etc.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,994 times
I agree with PP's, but I saw a documentary on how ill-prepared NYC is for the big earthquake that is sure to hit in the next century and the brownstones will be the first to go! That kind of soured the whole brownstone "mystique" for me.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemite mom View Post
I agree with PP's, but I saw a documentary on how ill-prepared NYC is for the big earthquake that is sure to hit in the next century and the brownstones will be the first to go! That kind of soured the whole brownstone "mystique" for me.
The brownstones are better built then the hideous "luxury" glass condos that are springing up like weeds. urghh...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,573 times
We live in a brick-and-brownstone in Brooklyn which was built in the 1860's. My husband and I prefer older houses. They are a pain in some regards, but we find them more aesthetically pleasing than most new places. I would assume that's the case for most brownstone owners. Our house is a triplex with a garden rental, which helps pay the mortgage. We have a nice little backyard, a nice little front yard and live on a leafy, tree-lined street. This house was probably the best investment we ever made. Since we bought it 13 years ago, our mortgage is nearly paid off and our equity has grown - all while we've watched other investments go down the tubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City