Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Both sides can play the un-ethical game if they choose.....

The tenants family can try to shniggle in on the lease. legal but un-ethical ... A shrewd landlord can inspect the apartment and if so much as a light fixture is changed they can start eviction preceedings for un-Authorized modifications which are a breach of the lease terms in every standard lease, its legal but unethical

There are always way to deal with things that may be legal but un-ethical.

when my son was first out of law school he had to attend a seminar where the issue was that judges were forced to up hold the law even when things were so un-ethical as an eviction for changing a faucette or light fixture and how laws can be quite un-fair at times..... non the less un-ethicalness can be met with un-ethicalness if you know how to play the game. i think i made up my own word. lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-02-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 AM

one thing my over 25 years as an investor in real estate in nyc has taught me is that as laymen we dont realize there are legal tools in everyones arsenal but you have to know they exist.

how many times have you seen me post how to break a lease using surrender or control after everyone tells the tenant on-line that its a contract and they will have to pay to get out of a lease until its re-rented it... its countless yet those in the know can slip right by a nieve landlord and utilize the method....

i bet no one here knew they could simply evict any tenant almost at will because most tenants do change light fixtures....

there are soooo many more ways to deal with issues then any of us realize, thats why you need a good attorney who is not just a general practioner and does everything from wills to murder.

our family buisness owned co-ops in nyc and basically our game plan was very long term. buy them decades ago , collect rent, although we never knew the rent would be so far below market decades later , and eventually sell the apartments,..

our apartments over look central park, we were paying 100k to any tenant who broke there lease ,we now only offer 50k and all but 2 thru the last 5 years took the offer and left. the apartments are then sold for nice profits.

we never used un-ethical methods, and we offered the money for no other reason then we want to break a contract.. if the tenant wants to break the lease he pays us until we re-rent normally and if i want to break the contract with them we pay them.

im not in favor of it, and i think it sucks thats its the only professsion where if your in real estate someone becomes a member of your family because you rent to them but those are the cards we were dealt so we have to play them as best we can....

i just would never ever be a landlord again and our family alone has pulled 39 rentals off the market over the years and sold them.. thats 39 potential rentals gone because of the laws here...

nyc including the 5 boroughs hasnt had a rental building put up since the 70's that im aware of that wasnt luxury or low income..... i dont know what effect having more rentals would have on rents as we cant predict but it certainly hurt the supply of nice new apartments for the masses...

Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nyc including the 5 boroughs hasnt had a rental building put up since the 70's that im aware of that wasnt luxury or low income..... i dont know what effect having more rentals would have on rents as we cant predict but it certainly hurt the supply of nice new apartments for the masses...
The Brooklyner

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM

just checked, they are luxury, most apartments are 2-3800 a month on most...yikes! saw one for a little over 1800 but that was probley a studio..that building is decontrolled .
that was my point except luxury and low income nooooo one puts up rentals and havent for over 30 years

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-03-2010 at 07:06 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:

just checked, they are luxury, most apartments are 2-3800 a month on most...yikes! saw one for a little over 1800 but that was probley a studio..that building is decontrolled .
that was my point except luxury and low income nooooo one puts up rentals and havent for over 30 years
mathjak, you keep calling currently built apartments luxury and I presume by luxury you mean over 2K per month thus they are unregulated and avoid rent controls. But really given the current rule of thumb of anywhere from at least 200 to 300 dollars a square foot for building how could anybody get a return on renting for less? I don't think builders and real estate people sit down, contrive and plot ways to charge over 2K to avoid RS, it's impossible not to do so and get a decent return.

Hasn't the definition of luxury moved on?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
mathjak, you keep calling currently built apartments luxury and I presume by luxury you mean over 2K per month thus they are unregulated and avoid rent controls. But really given the current rule of thumb of anywhere from at least 200 to 300 dollars a square foot for building how could anybody get a return on renting for less? I don't think builders and real estate people sit down, contrive and plot ways to charge over 2K to avoid RS, it's impossible not to do so and get a decent return.

Hasn't the definition of luxury moved on?
2k a month is the point the apartments are deregulated... the deregulated buildings are refered to as the luxury end,....there were lots of those put up over the years...its the under 2k regulated apartments that havent been built. we are talking over the last 30 years though.. while 2k is the price point for a decent apartment today it wasnt 2o years ago....the point was going back 30 years there were no rentals built, only co-ops or condos.... no developers wanted to get caught up in rent control

Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Sounds like you're in the wrong business.
No, I´m actually not and have no plans of quitting or changing careers. I will continue to be a voice against rent stabilization and I will continue to do what I think is FAIR in the building I manage...ethical or unethical.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
i bet no one here knew they could simply evict any tenant almost at will because most tenants do change light fixtures....
Mathjak...I doubt that technique would work on a rent stabilized apartment. Deregulated yes but I find it hard to believe the eviction to stick in housing court for a RS apartment with all those pro-tenant laws stacked against the landlord. Please correct me if I´m wrong though but I don´t see that happening in the world of rent stabilization.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 PM

im sad to say that it is exactly the strategy un-ethical landlords have been using to evict rent controlled and rent stabilized tenants.

the meeting my son had to go to was a meeting on ethics and the judges were saying how sorry they were that they had to up hold the law even though the act was such as to be despicable but the law is the law.... as pro tenent as nyc is a breach of contract is still a breach of contract...

like the guy at my office who didnt want to send his lap top in to have the keyboard replaced, he wanted the key board sent out and he would put it in.

when they refused to send it out he asked for a supervisor..after yelling at her about why couldnt they send him a keyboard and he would replace it the woman on the phone said to my co-worker how do you know thats the problem?

he said he took the keyboard off another one we had and tried it.... she said is that so...she voided his warranty out on the spot....we died laughing..... but non the less its kind of akin, the rules are the rules and the laws the laws AND AS STUPID AS IT SOUNDS THAT SOMEONE COULD BE EVICTED ITS SOOOOOOO TRUE.....

Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
im sad to say that it is exactly the strategy un-ethical landlords have been using to evict rent controlled and rent stabilized tenants.

the meeting my son had to go to was a meeting on ethics and the judges were saying how sorry they were that they had to up hold the law even though the act was such as to be despicable but the law is the law.... as pro tenent as nyc is a breach of contract is still a breach of contract...

like the guy at my office who didnt want to send his lap top in to have the keyboard replaced, he wanted the key board sent out and he would put it in.

when they refused to send it out he asked for a supervisor..after yelling at her about why couldnt they send him a keyboard and he would replace it the woman on the phone said to my co-worker how do you know thats the problem?

he said he took the keyboard off another one we had and tried it.... she said is that so...she voided his warranty out on the spot....we died laughing..... but non the less its kind of akin, the rules are the rules and the laws the laws AND AS STUPID AS IT SOUNDS THAT SOMEONE COULD BE EVICTED ITS SOOOOOOO TRUE.....
Wow! Really Mathjak? This is news to me. I mean, does the lease have to specifically say you can not change the light fixtures or can it be a general clause saying no apartment modifications/alterations without written permission from the landlord. etc.?

In addition, I assume you would have to know the model of the fixture you installed in the apartment and receipt for it as well no? Is there a statue of limitation on enforcing the rule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City