Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Wow! Really Mathjak? This is news to me. I mean, does the lease have to specifically say you can not change the light fixtures or can it be a general clause saying no apartment modifications/alterations without written permission from the landlord. etc.?

In addition, I assume you would have to know the model of the fixture you installed in the apartment and receipt for it as well no? Is there a statue of limitation on enforcing the rule?
Victorfox, I totally agree with you on this one. There is absolutly no LL/tenant judge who would evict a tenant under these circumstances. Short of a Code violation based on a visit by the LL for code compliance there would be nothing that a landlord could do except extract money from the security deposit at the end of the tenant's term or upon his death which ever comes first. At the very worst the judge could order "to make whole" the LL's apartment and stay the warrant, giving the tenant time to pick up an off the shelf delta faucet at HD.
The other issue is that housing judges have wide discretion to impose verdicts. Much time is spent shopping for the right judge in Part 52 Manhattan.
Happy 4th victorfox!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Victorfox, I totally agree with you on this one. There is absolutly no LL/tenant judge who would evict a tenant under these circumstances. Short of a Code violation based on a visit by the LL for code compliance there would be nothing that a landlord could do except extract money from the security deposit at the end of the tenant's term or upon his death which ever comes first.
Happy 4th victorfox!

Well I hope I´m wrong on this one and I hope Mathjak is right. Maybe Mathjak knows something I don´t know. Mathjak, care to explain further as to the details? PM me if you wish not to expose the tricks of the trade on an open forum for everyone to read.

It´s a good questions I should ask our company attorney. Hope it´s true though.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Wow! Really Mathjak? This is news to me. I mean, does the lease have to specifically say you can not change the light fixtures or can it be a general clause saying no apartment modifications/alterations without written permission from the landlord. etc.?

In addition, I assume you would have to know the model of the fixture you installed in the apartment and receipt for it as well no? Is there a statue of limitation on enforcing the rule?
it falls under the standard modification clause thats in every standard lease...

for anyone who doubts it lets hope you dont get caught up in it to find out..you maybe very surprised at what the law is vs what you think it should be...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 AM

only thing ill add is the mgmt office of where my ex-wife was renting are still scratching their heads in dis-belief that she so easily slipped right out of their lease using "surrender tactics" which they never knew exisited.

just because something seems silly, and you never heard of something dosnt mean thats not the law .

anyone of us can go to court with a breech of contract and ask for the law to be upheld,especially if it clearly breaks the terms.

its no different if they were operating a business from the apartment ,selling drugs or had 20 people move in...the changing of anything in that apartment is a modification and is a breech no mater how slight...

you would be surprised at some of the stuff i learned about loopholes and techniques in our housing laws that would baffle all of us as to how such things exist in our laws and thats true on both sides.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
only thing ill add is the mgmt office of where my ex-wife was renting are still scratching their heads in dis-belief that she so easily slipped right out of their lease using "surrender tactics" which they never knew exisited.

just because something seems silly, and you never heard of something dosnt mean thats not the law .

anyone of us can go to court with a breech of contract and ask for the law to be upheld,especially if it clearly breaks the terms.

its no different if they were operating a business from the apartment ,selling drugs or had 20 people move in...the changing of anything in that apartment is a modification and is a breech no mater how slight...

you would be surprised at some of the stuff i learned about loopholes and techniques in our housing laws that would baffle all of us as to how such things exist in our laws and thats true on both sides.
Is there a statue of limitation or a window period as to when the landlord can enforce the ¨no modification¨clasue without giving up his rights? In other words, can you suddenly enforce such a law 10 or 20 years later and it sticking in housing court?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM

no statue of limititations,,, its not a crime its only a breach of contract you just found out about.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
no statue of limititations,,, its not a crime its only a breach of contract you just found out about.
Would you need a reciept showing proof that a certain make and model light fixture was intially installed in the apartment?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 AM

i think photos before a tenant moves in is always a good idea to document all conditions of things

Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
i think photos before a tenant moves in is always a good idea to document all conditions of things
Thanks Mathjak!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times
Quote:

I would be surprised.
the repair clause in the Blumberg apartment Lease, the REBNY is similar,

8. Repairs Tenant must take good care of the Apartment and all equipment and fixtures in it. Landlord will repair the plumbing, heating and electrical systems, tenant must, at tenant's cost, make all repairs and replacements whenever the need results from tenant's act or neglect, If Tenant fails to make a needed repair or replacement, Landlord may do it. Landlord's reasonable expense will be added rent.

Let's say I had a drunken orgy and tried to swing from the rusted 1980's HD chandelier (naked of course) and pulled the thing off the ceiling.

As a person of high moral standards I would feel obligated to replace and repair and as the legal Tenant I would be fulfilling my contractual duty as stated above to make all repairs and replacements whenever the need results from tenant's act or neglect.
Explain to me how the landlord could evict me?
Even if I stayed inebriated and failed to preform my legal duties the Landlord would only have the right to repair and charge me for it in extra rent, but not evict me!

As long as tenant maintains that all light fixtures were replaced due to tenant's clumsiness then he is home free. Do I smell a loop hole? NO, it's victorfox decaying before the first call!

Last edited by modsquad81; 07-06-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City