Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 PM

49 posts, read 368,995 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'd really appreciate your input regarding two neighborhoods, Morris Heights and Soundview. I was on the verge of buying a house in Morris Heights but backed down after discovering that that neighborhood is saturated with homeless shelters, SROs and NYCHA rehabs. As much as it hurt my pocket to do so, I had to do it.

Now I have an opportunity in Soundview, specifically a house by Beach Avenue and Randall Avenue. Now, I understand that this neighborhood has a high concentration of housing projects, but I also notice that there are many well-kept homes in the area. In addition, some of the buildings that appear to be low-income are actually Co-ops. I've noticed that, although the projects tower in the background, the nabe appears to be a solidly working class neighborhood; perhaps not solidly working class but certainly not as unstable as Morris Heights.

Soundview, I believe, seems to benefit from the fact that it's surrounded by emerging areas such as Castle Hill to the east and Clason Point to the south; and, to some extent, Parkchester to the north. What do you think? I get a totally different vibe in Soundview as there are mostly many houses, which, I might add, appear to be owner-occupied, unlike the houses in Morris Heights.

What do you think? The price is right, and the house is nice. Furthermore, the house is in a block with many proffesionals. Will I likely regret moving into this area of Soundview? Is it this area better than Morris Heights? Which one has more potential?

Please note: As much as I welcome all feedback, please withhold your responses if you subscribe to the belief that a neighborhood is crappy if it is devoid of white people. Frankly, I don't care who lives there as long they work and pay for their own bills.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default well I've heard

that Randall and Rosedale Avenue was a bad corner, i don't know how many blocks Beach is from there.

Soundview is certainly a more attractive looking area than Morris Hts because the former is more wide open and has smaller homes whereas the latter is dense, cramped and blocks of tenements

my guess is that your biggest concern would be safety at night in Soundview on Randall, as it would be in Morris Hts

or maybe not even safety per se, but just an unpleasant atmosphere of people hanging out

Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
It's definitely a better neighborhood than Morris Heights.

I teach in the area and it has gotten a lot better in the last 5 years or so .It's still Soundview but I would live there before Morris Heights.A lot of the kids in my school come from hard working families and have very supportive and involved parents.....a good thing.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM

49 posts, read 368,995 times
Thanks Bluedog and rlrl. That's what I'm looking for, honest answers. I know the neighborhood is no Utopia, but I'd like to just start in a place that ill at least be comfortable.

So, Bulldog, where do you see this neighborhood in the next five years or so?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I'm not fond of neither neighborhood but if I had to choose between both I'd go with Soundview.

Morris Heights is one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city. It is mostly rehabbed buildings and vacant lots (although they're getting filled in)...it's come a long way since the late 80's when a TIME magazine article opened with this:

[LEFT]Morris Heights is a New York City battleground. Situated in the South Bronx, the area has one of the highest crime rates in the city. Blocks of buildings are burned out, homeless people camp in boarded-up tenements, small boys peddle angel dust on the streets.

Soundview has more housing projects...and is a very high crime area..but it has more single family home and you may find the environment less hectic.

Good luck!

[/LEFT]

Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I would definitely agree with Soundview! It is more residential, more parkland, more diverse housing, and a more working class population. Yes there are housing projects, but there are housing projects/subsidized housing in most areas that "regular" people can afford. Don't sweat it...go with Soundview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City