Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Going to college in the city and I need some information.

I need a lot of safety tips (for the sake of my parents, haha)...And some other things I should know about NYC. I'm from Queens, but I moved when I was about 10. So yeah, just looking for three things:

1. What NOT to do
2. What I NEED to do
3. Safety tips besides the common sense ones...you know, like new scams or something...

Thanks a lot, guys. (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexenamoon View Post

I need a lot of safety tips (for the sake of my parents, haha)...And some other things I should know about NYC. I'm from Queens, but I moved when I was about 10. So yeah, just looking for three things:

1. What NOT to do
2. What I NEED to do
3. Safety tips besides the common sense ones...you know, like new scams or something...

Thanks a lot, guys. (:
I'm sure that others here could add a million things to this list, but here are a few things that I would suggest.

What NOT to do

Don't take out money or leave valueables in plain sight while you are in public places/on the train/bus. Keep any bags on your lap and with the strap around your arms. You do see people listening to ipods and and playing with cell phones, but usually the actual unit is inside a pocket jacket, not in your hand where someone can grab it and run out the subway door (I have seen this happen) I also wouldn't recommend keeping your wallet in your back pocket.

I personally do not feel comfortable riding the train alone late at night but I am female. If you are in a group its usually OK in many areas, but in some I just wouldn't do it. I wouldn't walk alone late at night either, not even in the safest neighborhoods.

The man up above knows all too well how many nights I went out and got totally smashed, but I wasn't so drunk that I would pass out in the street or anything. Have fun and party, but always be aware of yourself and where you are. I don't know if you are male or female but if you are female I will tell you this. My friend saw this girl totally passed out lying between 2 cars and he saw this van full of guys trying to pick her up and he scared them off. Who knows what would have happened to her if he wasn't there. I don't think the same thing would have happened to a guy, but who knows. You will def wake up the next day with no wallet or money at the very least. Always stick together with your friends, and don't let your girlfriends venture out alone if they are drunk.

You NEED to

Learn the subway system, and pay attention to the service and late night/weekend changes. Not all trains run on all tracks 24/7. You may go somewhere and come home late, not realizing that some trains don't even run on the weekend or bypass your stop late at night. (B and V trains don't run on weekends for example)

Keep all your doors and windows locked at all times even when you are home. If you are not on the first floor its probably OK to leave a window open when ou are in the room or something, but I would certainly lock your door at all times. Don't buzz anyone into your building unless you know who it is and watch who comes in behind you when you enter your building.

This may be a little premature, but if you have a good trusted friend in the city, I would recommend making an extra set of keys of each others apartment and trade. I have done this with a friend and even though I was lucky enough to never lose my keys, he did, and he was not locked out on the street all night.

Something that I found unique to the city that I don't have to deal with now that I am out of there, is that in your apartment you cannot leave any food or dirty dishes out at all. Cereal and things like that you should put into plastic containers so that bugs cannot get in. Get a real garbage can with a tight lid and empty the trash when its full, don't let the bag sit there. This is not to say that you arent a clean person, but this is Manhattan, and if you have a dirty neighbor they can attract roaches/mice/rats. If there is food out in your place you will quickly find yourself with a roach problem. Thank god I have only seen 2 roaches in my apartment in 5 years, but I did have mice thanks to them climbing up the walls from the basement into my 3rd floor apartment. The problem wasn't too bad since I was clean, but others had worse problems than I did.

I don't know if you are living in a dorm or an apartment, but watch your electricity use. If you are not home turn of lights, the bill adds up quickly. My average bill was $90 not including the summer months which were higher, and I never left lights on in the apartment. Con Ed is ridiculous!

I personally always left a $100 in an envelope in my apartment god forbid I lost my wallet/money when I was out. This money I kept for cab fare or other emergencies until I can get a replacement ATM card or so that I can pay for a cab home at the very least. I don't know if its a necessity, but I always thought it was a good idea to keep it around.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you are on a budget, make sure you budget accordingly. Money burns here in NYC, but if you set yourself up on a plan from day 1, you will still be able to enjoy the city and all it has to offer.

Oh yeah, and I always see tourists sitting on the sidewalk/curb. YUCK!!!!

Anyway, I hope this is helpful, have a great time here, and best of luck!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:07 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I'm sure that others here could add a million things to this list, but here are a few things that I would suggest.

What NOT to do

Don't take out money or leave valueables in plain sight while you are in public places/on the train/bus. Keep any bags on your lap and with the strap around your arms. You do see people listening to ipods and and playing with cell phones, but usually the actual unit is inside a pocket jacket, not in your hand where someone can grab it and run out the subway door (I have seen this happen) I also wouldn't recommend keeping your wallet in your back pocket.

I personally do not feel comfortable riding the train alone late at night but I am female. If you are in a group its usually OK in many areas, but in some I just wouldn't do it. I wouldn't walk alone late at night either, not even in the safest neighborhoods.

The man up above knows all too well how many nights I went out and got totally smashed, but I wasn't so drunk that I would pass out in the street or anything. Have fun and party, but always be aware of yourself and where you are. I don't know if you are male or female but if you are female I will tell you this. My friend saw this girl totally passed out lying between 2 cars and he saw this van full of guys trying to pick her up and he scared them off. Who knows what would have happened to her if he wasn't there. I don't think the same thing would have happened to a guy, but who knows. You will def wake up the next day with no wallet or money at the very least. Always stick together with your friends, and don't let your girlfriends venture out alone if they are drunk.

You NEED to

Learn the subway system, and pay attention to the service and late night/weekend changes. Not all trains run on all tracks 24/7. You may go somewhere and come home late, not realizing that some trains don't even run on the weekend or bypass your stop late at night. (B and V trains don't run on weekends for example)

Keep all your doors and windows locked at all times even when you are home. If you are not on the first floor its probably OK to leave a window open when ou are in the room or something, but I would certainly lock your door at all times. Don't buzz anyone into your building unless you know who it is and watch who comes in behind you when you enter your building.

This may be a little premature, but if you have a good trusted friend in the city, I would recommend making an extra set of keys of each others apartment and trade. I have done this with a friend and even though I was lucky enough to never lose my keys, he did, and he was not locked out on the street all night.

Something that I found unique to the city that I don't have to deal with now that I am out of there, is that in your apartment you cannot leave any food or dirty dishes out at all. Cereal and things like that you should put into plastic containers so that bugs cannot get in. Get a real garbage can with a tight lid and empty the trash when its full, don't let the bag sit there. This is not to say that you arent a clean person, but this is Manhattan, and if you have a dirty neighbor they can attract roaches/mice/rats. If there is food out in your place you will quickly find yourself with a roach problem. Thank god I have only seen 2 roaches in my apartment in 5 years, but I did have mice thanks to them climbing up the walls from the basement into my 3rd floor apartment. The problem wasn't too bad since I was clean, but others had worse problems than I did.
Yeah that about sums it out, especially the part about not riding the subway late (transplants get a bit naive about this), the mice, and the snatching the ipod thing is funny. Although be warned, a lot of young predators wont even snatch it and run out, they'll just straight up take it if you dont look threatning. Just keep your eyes open at all times and you'll be fine

Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM

218 posts, read 741,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexenamoon View Post

1. What NOT to do
2. What I NEED to do

Thanks a lot, guys. (:
The very best thing to do, is just use common sense, and don't broadcast the fact that you're not from NYC. That means, wherever you are staying, leave any valuables that you don't need at that location, when you venture out, especially in the "touristy" areas, where out-of-towners can be targets, like Times Square, or Rockefeller Center, etc. Just take your wallet, and maybe your small digicam or iPod, if you plan to take pics... but keep those devices in your pocket. Personally, I've always carried my wallet in my front left pocket, all my life... that way I'll know and see, if someone is trying to steal it.

PLEASE do study the subway or bus maps, or at the very least, carry a small one that you can have in your pocket, because if you have to ask someone where a particular line goes, that tells them right there, you're a fish out of water, and makes you a potential target. I have all the MTA subway maps on my iPod Touch, so I don't even need to carry paper maps with me.

You CAN walk about the town late at night, but again... use common sense... walk like you belong there, not like someone who is a tourist. When I stayed in NYC, I was able to walk around Central Park West in perfect safety, as late as 1am, and at least with me, nobody ever gave me any trouble at all, and in fact, nobody even spoke to me, so yeah, just use common sense. Make it look and feel to others, like you belong, and know what you're doing.

Every time I was there, however, I found the natives to be extremely helpful, but that could just be my own experiences. Just be a good judge of character... if you feel strange in or about a situation... trust your instincts.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,579 times
Check the registered sex offenders site and don't live where there are large clusters of them.

Also, some immigrants in NYC are not used to American culture and don't really understand that it's not okay to cat-call, whistle, make suggestive remarks and follow women around. Just try to avoid those areas where you see this occurring.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Check the registered sex offenders site and don't live where there are large clusters of them.

Also, some immigrants in NYC are not used to American culture and don't really understand that it's not okay to cat-call, whistle, make suggestive remarks and follow women around. Just try to avoid those areas where you see this occurring.
This is hyperbole. It is NOT Dodge City.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This is hyperbole. It is NOT Dodge City.

I was gonna say that. And thats not just immagrents. PLENTY of American guys do it too. Just walk by 19th and 6th ave Tech school during lunch or in the morning. You can see.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:59 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
if you get an apartment in an older building, make sure you get some plaster of paris or caulk and seal all around where the walls meet the floor, and plug up any holes in the wall with steel wool soaked in ammonia, and then plaster over them....keeps the rodents out.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
As your friendly local MTA worker who posts here a lot, I'll second nycgirl's advice about our transit system. Learning it is a good idea (and don't listen to people who complain about it being confusing; it isn't. It just requires a little attention!) You can get subway and bus maps for free, and before you know it you're traipsing around this town like you've lived here all your life.

Welcome to the Capital of the Known Universe!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As your friendly local MTA worker who posts here a lot, I'll second nycgirl's advice about our transit system. Learning it is a good idea (and don't listen to people who complain about it being confusing; it isn't. It just requires a little attention!) You can get subway and bus maps for free, and before you know it you're traipsing around this town like you've lived here all your life.

Welcome to the Capital of the Known Universe!
I think the transit system can "appear" confusing because of the number of lines available and the many intersections/directions possible, but in reality it is quite simple. I have been to many cities, domestic and international, that have a train system and they are quite simple. Similar to the NJ Path, they only have 4 or 5 lines and each making 8 stops - it can be frightening to some when they see ours.

However, learning the subway system (or at least learning how to read the map) is the first thing you should do. Don't get confused with all the colors. Once you know where you are and where you need to get to, it's really just a matter of following the colors. One thing good about our system is that there are plenty of signs and you really only have a 50% chance to figuring out which platform it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City