Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 PM

41 posts, read 154,323 times

Advertisements

I got a lease to review today, and discovered that my rent is "preferential rent," which may be changed to market at the end of the lease term. I did a little research and understand what it means legally.

My question is, how does one assess the likelihood that the landlord will bump you up to market on the renewal? Are there conditions to look for, or is it more gut instinct when talking to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
I got a lease to review today, and discovered that my rent is "preferential rent," which may be changed to market at the end of the lease term. I did a little research and understand what it means legally.

My question is, how does one assess the likelihood that the landlord will bump you up to market on the renewal? Are there conditions to look for, or is it more gut instinct when talking to them?
I have a feeling you're confusing the terms preferential rent and market rent. What you call the "market" rent is probably the legal rent specified in the lease. In this market, the legal rent is probably above the market rent and that's why you're getting a preferential rent. Your preferential rent is probably the market rent.

The amount of your increase at lease end will probably depend on a couple of things: the change in market rents and your performance as a tenant. Based on a combination of these factors the rent may stay the same, go up slightly, or go up to the legal rent.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM

41 posts, read 154,323 times
Hmmm...the lease uses the term "market rent" in the rider.

Heh...you know, if they really tried, could make renting in NYC a *little* more bizarre...

Old 10-06-2009, 06:58 AM

90 posts, read 423,089 times
Yeah...basically when thinking about what your rent could increase to, just pretend your lease isn't stabilized at all. The only way its helping you is giving you a guaranteed renewal every year (though the rent isn't guaranteed). It also might be hurting the maintenance of your building overall, since other tenants who've lived there for a while are paying below market rent.

Rent stabilized apartments are way overrated for people who haven't lived in a location for a long time. A ton of the rent stabilized places I looked at in Harlem were "stabilized" but above market rate. And of course, the Realtor would act about how it's such a great deal to get a stabilized apartment, knowing that his prey didn't know much about the city.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirlin6 View Post
Yeah...basically when thinking about what your rent could increase to, just pretend your lease isn't stabilized at all. The only way its helping you is giving you a guaranteed renewal every year (though the rent isn't guaranteed). It also might be hurting the maintenance of your building overall, since other tenants who've lived there for a while are paying below market rent.

Rent stabilized apartments are way overrated for people who haven't lived in a location for a long time. A ton of the rent stabilized places I looked at in Harlem were "stabilized" but above market rate. And of course, the Realtor would act about how it's such a great deal to get a stabilized apartment, knowing that his prey didn't know much about the city.
What's happening now is that many landlords that have stabilized apartments don't want to convert them to market rate because they might actually earn less at market rate than with stabilized apartments. Also under the current housing rules, the landlord is able to raise his stabilized rent every time a new tenant occupies the space, so its in the best interest in the landlord that a constant stream of new tenants enter the property so he can legally adjust his rents.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
What's happening now is that many landlords that have stabilized apartments don't want to convert them to market rate because they might actually earn less at market rate than with stabilized apartments.
How would they earn less at market rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City