Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 179,555 times

Advertisements

I am going to attend Pace University next year in downtown Manhattan. I have always dreamed of living in the Big Apple, and I thought this would be the cheapest opportunity I'll ever have to live here, for the dorming cost is basically the same as the other schools I have been applying to.
Does anyone have any information on this school? Personal experiences going there, general knowledge, anything? I went to visit it, and it was lovely. However, I would like some more information from you lovely people. =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 31,603 times
I attended Pace University for one semester 6 years ago and my cousin attended it for her undergrad.

The student population is not the brightest, due to its incredibly low standards for admission. I had withdrawn from a SUNY for personal reasons, and by the time I came back to NYC, I was already past the application deadline for any of the CUNY schools, as well as Pace. But all I had to do was see a counselor and show him my SAT scores, and I was accepted on the spot (even though Pace was well into the semester) without any further qualifications and despite past problems at my former school.

In the classroom, I faced a listless and drab academic atmosphere because of the unmotivated students and the professors that decided to accept them for who they were, instead of challenging them to be better. I ended up not attending most of the classes, but still managing to pull a 3.5 GPA. My cousin has a similar opinion; she coasted through her undergrad without a problem. It really wasn't until she entered her major that she faced anything resembling a challenge.

Now I'm sure there are smart and hard-working individuals at Pace (I've met a couple), but there's a significant majority that aren't. In my mind, Pace serves a specific niche and does it well: kids who couldn't get into NYU or Columbia, but want a private university in the NYC and pay up the wazoo for one. To me, the CUNY schools are not only less expensive, but better than Pace. However, my opinion may not be valid in the now, but this was my past personal experience.

The only pro I see about going to Pace would be the ability to take advantage of exploring NYC, as well as taking advantage of the best of whatever Pace has to offer.

I'm curious, though, what did you like about the campus? To me, Pace always had a dim and bland interior, and the student body is so ghetto or wannabe ghetto.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Yeah Pace doesn't have the greatest rep, i've met some cool people from there, but it has a rep for being a last choice school, or a "transitional" school. A school for people who couldn't get in elsewhere, or people that did bad in another school and transferred, people that got into some kind of problem and came back to school, etc. Generally amongst New Yorkers, the CUNY's and the SUNY's have better reps.

I also know a few people who went there for a few years, and transferred to schools that are considered better, so it can go both ways. It all comes down to what you make of the situation basically.

Some of their programs are really good though, they are well respected for their undergrad business program and their MBA program is also highly ranked.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-06-2007 at 09:29 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM

18 posts, read 179,555 times
I liked the atmosphere at Pace when I went to visit. The student body did seem intelligent and friendly, and even though the interior wasn’t the most aesthetically beautiful, but I loved the view outside of the Brooklyn Bridge. I was invited to the Honors College, so hopefully your experience with the unmotivated student body will not apply. I had my heart set on NYU, but Pace offered me a large scholarship and plenty of grants, so I will be attending NYU for Grad school.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah if its the Honors college, then I would say go for it. You're not going to run into the problems that the previous posters mentioned with bored/unmotivated students in the honors college.

If you do well in your classes, you can always attempt to transfer to NYU. If that doesn't work out, then, as you mentioned there is always grad school. People at the top of their class for undergrad usually don't have too hard of a time moving up the ladder into a better grad school.

If you are interested in this area, did you apply to schools like Fordham or St. Johns? While they are not directly in Manhattan, they are only a short commute away.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 31,603 times
I apologize if I sounded overly disparaging in my reply. My negativity about Pace stems considerably from its outrageous cost ($29k, $40k w/ board). For a student coming from NYS or NYC, I feel that it's a poor value, espeically when there are great CUNYs (Baruch College for business majors) and SUNYs out there.

It's great that you obtained those scholarships and grants, and were accepted into the Honors College. I always admire a motivated go-getter. I hope you take advantage of everything that Pace and NYC has to offer. If you have a specific field or career path in mind already, be sure to go for internships, p/t jobs, and volunteer work. It's very competitive out there nowadays, and it's never too early to get a head-start.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah I agree with the previous poster. Even though it sounds ironic to be looking into internships and whatnot at this point, it is definitely a good idea. You are going to need to do internships in order to get a decent job once you graduate. Just remember that if you want your internship to start in June you are going to need to start looking for the position around Christmas time, six month in advance.

I also agree that a SUNY or CUNY school would be better if you are coming from instate, but if Pace is covering the costs of tuition with a scholarship, then you might as well take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City