U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 PM

388 posts, read 579,870 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this, because I've gone to visit a few times (my sister lives on the outskirts), and that's what I've chosen to do as a career, but up here in hicktown, there's hardly any opportunity to get noticed. My sister has offered to act as liaison, but would it be best if I just left here for the city and get set up down there, maybe live with sis for the first couple years? Or should I just stick up here and try to get noticed where I am now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,730 times
Default When you say "do as a career"

What do you mean? DJ? Musician? Club owner?

I have to say that I'm "too old" to like Electronica but I still do. Because of that age, I don't know the scene. Suggestion: go to meetup.com and investigate/join NYC-based groups around that as an interest.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 AM

346 posts, read 1,210,647 times
Honestly trance/techno died in the city after the 90s. There's people who still listen, and many of those who are into electronica have moved past trance, most are on house now, I'm into DnB, Jungle and Dubstep, and it seems these days that the big names are either in Europe (particularly Britain and France) or on the west cost, particularly L.A.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:52 PM

348 posts, read 391,741 times
go to Rhythmism.com and go to the forums. Best resource for EDM in NYC. And the scene is very healthy and vibrant here til this day.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:32 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,738,923 times
There is still a Trance/techno scene in nyc but its not as big as it use to be espicially with all sorts of British, Spaniards and other Europeans that move and live in this city, I assumed that the Trance scene should have been huge but its not. Lots of New Yorkers club to throwback music such as freestyle and house music and dance to remixed pop music such as lasko and dj sammy, and lets not also forget hip hop. THe Trance scene is pretty big in UK, Spain, France, Holland and Germany, if your into Trance Europe is the place to be. I so wanna go to Ibiza. Dont worry Tiesto and Armin Van Buren always spin in NYC from time to time!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 AM

7,658 posts, read 5,587,782 times
I listen to pulse87 fm!

di.fm is also based in nyc.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 AM

858 posts, read 2,147,058 times
I don't think Trance music goes well with NYC. The sound just doesn't go well with the roughness and pace of NYC. It has to die. However, House fits nicely with the concrete environment.

I have been into trance since 1999 and it's still very strong in LA and SF until I move to NYC a couple of years ago, and it's dead. I remembered God's Kitchen and Crobar back into 2003. Good ole days in NYC.

Tiesto and PVD spin there every year, so there are some really hardcore fans still.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,821,642 times
I've always wondered what the trance/techno/electronic/house music scene is like in NY.

Seems like the centers of that scene in the US are in Miami, NY, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:58 AM

7,658 posts, read 5,587,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I don't think Trance music goes well with NYC. The sound just doesn't go well with the roughness and pace of NYC. It has to die. However, House fits nicely with the concrete environment.

I have been into trance since 1999 and it's still very strong in LA and SF until I move to NYC a couple of years ago, and it's dead. I remembered God's Kitchen and Crobar back into 2003. Good ole days in NYC.

Tiesto and PVD spin there every year, so there are some really hardcore fans still.
trance rocks!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,053 times
Guys if you are into Trance and Like good hosue music check this out!!!!!

Lange & Leon Bolier at District 36 NYC July 19, 2012 with the History of House Music in the 2nd room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[url=http://www.wantickets.com/esscalanights]Tickets and Event Information @ DISTRICT 36 - New York, NY[/url]

I am going for sureeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City