Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times

Advertisements

On Wed night I came home about 7:30 PM from dinner and I smelled gas in my apt. (Around 5:30 PM I made myself coffee in a small kettle and that requires very little fire, and instead of turning the gas towards the off side I turn it all the way towards the low side.) This is good because there was very little gas coming out.

Few minutes after I came home (7:30 PM), a neighbor called me and asked me if I left the gas on and I told him yes I did but I took care of it. Few minutes later I went to the gym and while I was there another neighbor called me to inform me that they are trying to get into my apt because they smelled gas coming out of my apt .

When I arrived to my apt I tried to explain to them what happened but no one would listen to me. My neighbor told me that he tried to explain to them what happened but no one would listen to him either and the board decided to broke into my apt.

As a result of this The window lock is broken the gate is damaged severely and needs to be replaced. Also there is a hole in the wall.
The board wants me to pay for this. What do you think?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 PM

172 posts, read 446,086 times
so let me get this right? your neighbor smelled gas and called the FD. You were not home, or possibly dead on your floor. And how did you take care of the problem if your neighbors smelled gas? So instead of forcing entry through the front door , which does cause damage, the FD probably went in off the fire escape to cause LESS damage.
Did you have a gas meter, how do you know the explosive levels in the air?
I have seen first hand the damage caused by gas from a stove, A man came home to his apt. and his significant other was trying to commit suicide by leaving the gas on. When he put his key in the front door of the apt . a small static spark from the key BLEW up the entire apt.
I also find it hard to believe that if you were present before FD attempted to gain entry that they would not listen to you.

Last edited by bombero2811; 10-10-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM

939 posts, read 3,374,737 times
When the fire department is called for an odor of gas they have to gain entry to the premises. I'd say they did their job.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,877,092 times
The Fire Department does not break in gently, they destroy whatever is in their path when they come in. It's annoying but it is typical. The Board is absolutely right in making you pay for this, it was your behavior (not turning the gas off) that led to this ordeal. I don't understand how you didn't open the window and air out that gas when you turned it off.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM

346 posts, read 1,251,482 times
Why would you purposefully leave the gas on anyway, and on top of that not even have the window open to remove the gas from your space. Also if your neighbor had to inform you of the gas, then at this point it was obviously a saftey hazard, not just for you, but potentially to the entire building. YOU are the negligent party in this case, and yes you should have to pay for the damages because you created the situation, on purpose, in the first place.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
The gas was turn off when fire dep came and they were informed that I turned it off, you are not listening either. There was no gass running , just smell.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM

346 posts, read 1,251,482 times
If the smell was there then that means that gas was present, what do you want them to do? Even so you still didn't explain why you didn't just open a window to remove the smell in the first place.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,770,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westofninth View Post
The gas was turn off when fire dep came and they were informed that I turned it off, you are not listening either. There was no gass running , just smell.
You asked for people's opinions. Don't expect that anyone/everyone will agree with you.

Even if the gas was no longer running, if the smell is present -- so is the gas, and that presents a danger to the entire building. Because of that, the authorities have the right (and responsibility) to enter your unit to take care of the problem.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:36 PM

939 posts, read 2,300,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
The Fire Department does not break in gently, they destroy whatever is in their path when they come in. It's annoying but it is typical.
lol... maybe they should carry one big-a$$ key ring with a copy of everyone's house keys...

when you force a door/window it's going to do damage... don't want any damage done to your doors or windows in case there's a fire, leave them unlocked... yes, we do check the knob before forcing entry

Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 25,980,588 times
You should pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: