Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:45 PM

93,230 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPeterson View Post
Sheepshead Bay isnt what it used to be. In the past this area was very good but it is going down hill. More and more blacks and hispanics move here so you shouldnt have any problems. Its funny not too many black areas are very tolerant of whites but nobody every makes an issue over that. Used to live in crownhights before moving to bay ridge and had problems there because i was white.
Didn't or doesn't the tension in Crown heights go both ways though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 PM

162 posts, read 601,952 times
From my experience I have gotten "why are you here?" looks walking around the Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach area near the subway, but it mostly from the older folks and was nothing worse than that.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
I remember I was in Sheepshead Bay back in 1980 where I met a young lady by the name of Rita Dunne,
a beautiful girl I will never forget, I have often wondered was she still living in the area or where did she go.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
I was thinking about moving to a place in Sheepshead Bay but I've been told that as a black person I might have some issues in the area and that I might feel uncomfortable. Does anyone know how welcome blacks are in that part of Brooklyn?
I just visited a black friend in Sheepshead. He's lived there his entire life. I'm sure there are some hooligans, mostly of the Soviet variety, but I wouldn't say it's a bad neighborhood for a person of color.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 PM

52 posts, read 105,185 times
Why would anyone want to live in a place that is "tolerant" ?

Tolerance by definition means - putting up with something that one doesn't like or agree with.

Hmmm sounds fun. I'm going to live somewhere that people will put up with me, but not like me, how condescending.

People in this city are not tolerant at all and the VAST majority of people who say they are, are simply lying. Big time hypocrites.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
I've heard a bunch of fat white kids (natives probably, they didn't sound Russian) throw around the n-word like they were rappers, over by Avenue Z

I think u can run into that anywhere tho, Soviets are pretty chill overall

Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Some history few people know:

Although, as a whole, Sheepshead was mostly Italian and Irish, African-Americans, at the turn of the 20th Century, settled mainly on E 15 Street. (mostly between Neck and Sheepshead Roads!) Many, if not most, worked at what was the old Sheepshead Raceway, caring for the horses and stables. The first settlers founded First Baptist Church of Sheepshead Bay, I believe, in 1903! They used the white horse owners money and Concord Baptist's charter, to set up FBC.

Even with the closing of the race track, Black folk continued to lay their roots on that block(s) for the next century. But now, with may of the older folk dying off, and many others selling their homes and relocating, the block of E 15 is no longer the African-American spot it once was, although the church is still there! A lot of Russians and Asians have settled in the neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
With what I said, Sheepshead is fine! The only issue with the neighborhood, now, is how many businesses might still be affected by Sandy! (it was hit bad!) But some folk may know about this more than me!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,903 times
Yes but there are bars that explicitly do not allow sushi

Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM

8,104 posts, read 6,747,285 times
I lived on Emmons Ave for many years and we had several AA families in our building and everyone got along well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City