Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
this is new york, where diversity is normal and accepted. its not Alabama. I doubt you will have any problems regardless what ethnicity you are.
I lived here almost 15 years and just now 2 years ago i am seeing more black people moving here, shopping in stores.
Racism is so 19th century and silly
Wasn't always like that. NYC used to be segregated by neighborhood, not race (neighborhoods happen to be generally one race/religion though). You stayed in your neighborhood and if you went into someone else's neighborhood you were asking for trouble, especially if you were black and went into bensonhurst. Anyone who looked different and went in there had to be either crazy or actually up to no good. Hasn't been like that since the late 80's / early 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Wasn't always like that. NYC used to be segregated by neighborhood, not race (neighborhoods happen to be generally one race/religion though). You stayed in your neighborhood and if you went into someone else's neighborhood you were asking for trouble, especially if you were black and went into bensonhurst. Anyone who looked different and went in there had to be either crazy or actually up to no good. Hasn't been like that since the late 80's / early 90's
Racism still exists in NYC, just less people acting upon it. As an Asian man, 2 dark skinned guys tried to mug me on a quiet block in Washington Heights just 8 years ago. Cops still target Blacks/Hispanics when they stop and question suspicious activity. That's racism.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:11 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,252,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Racism still exists in NYC, just less people acting upon it. As an Asian man, 2 dark skinned guys tried to mug me on a quiet block in Washington Heights just 8 years ago. Cops still target Blacks/Hispanics when they stop and question suspicious activity. That's racism.
Of course racism still exists, always will there is no cure for this disease.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,594,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
You sound like a decent person so you should be fine and plus Bensonhurst is becoming more and more diverse.
Bensonhurst is extremely diverse.

It is not only no longer mostly Italian, I would venture to say there are few Italians left in Bensonhurst.
It is now majority Asian and Russian.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:37 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Bensonhurst is extremely diverse.

It is not only no longer mostly Italian, I would venture to say there are few Italians left in Bensonhurst.
It is now majority Asian and Russian.
few Italians left in NYC period. They all moved to Long Island, Jersey, and Florida

Old 08-04-2016, 10:00 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
few Italians left in NYC period. They all moved to Long Island, Jersey, and Florida
Lots of Italians left in Howard Beach, Staten Island, and parts of The Bronx

Plus I'm sure many of the people you think of as generic white people are of Italian descent

Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM

148 posts, read 175,555 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Lots of Italians left in Howard Beach, Staten Island, and parts of The Bronx

Plus I'm sure many of the people you think of as generic white people are of Italian descent
To add on what l1995 said, there are still large pockets of Italians in NYC, although their numbers are not as big as they were 50+ years ago. Staten Island, in particular, has a very heavy Italian presence. You can see every economic class of Italian there, seemingly -- from the working class and "FOB" types to the white collar guys with big homes and nice cars. Middle Village, close to where I live, has a great number of middle and upper-middle Italian families (also has a large Irish population [the Italians go to one Catholic church; Irish go to a different one], some Poles moving in [overflow?] from Maspeth, and a steadily growing Asian population). A few streets in Maspeth and certain parts of Glendale also feature pockets of Italians.

Ozone Park also features a number of Italian families as well, although age and the changing character of the neighborhood has reduced their presence.

Riverdale/Kingsbridge used to have a good amount of Italians, but I believe their numbers have declined considerably since the mid to late 80s/early 90s.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungt88 View Post
To add on what l1995 said, there are still large pockets of Italians in NYC, although their numbers are not as big as they were 50+ years ago. Staten Island, in particular, has a very heavy Italian presence. You can see every economic class of Italian there, seemingly -- from the working class and "FOB" types to the white collar guys with big homes and nice cars. Middle Village, close to where I live, has a great number of middle and upper-middle Italian families (also has a large Irish population [the Italians go to one Catholic church; Irish go to a different one], some Poles moving in [overflow?] from Maspeth, and a steadily growing Asian population). A few streets in Maspeth and certain parts of Glendale also feature pockets of Italians.

Ozone Park also features a number of Italian families as well, although age and the changing character of the neighborhood has reduced their presence.

Riverdale/Kingsbridge used to have a good amount of Italians, but I believe their numbers have declined considerably since the mid to late 80s/early 90s.
Yeah and the East Bronx (Throggs Neck, Morris Park, Pelham Bay) still has a lot of Italians if I'm not mistaken

But many of the white people you see in any given NYC neighborhood are of at least partial Italian descent, even if they don't talk like Paulie Walnuts and fly an Italian flag at their house

Old 08-04-2016, 02:52 PM

148 posts, read 175,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah and the East Bronx (Throggs Neck, Morris Park, Pelham Bay) still has a lot of Italians if I'm not mistaken

But many of the white people you see in any given NYC neighborhood are of at least partial Italian descent, even if they don't talk like Paulie Walnuts and fly an Italian flag at their house
Probably not the transplants, but the natives? Yeah, very much so.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungt88 View Post
Probably not the transplants, but the natives? Yeah, very much so.
It depends, there are a lot of Italians in other Northeast states, where many transplants are from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City