Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 PM

156 posts, read 370,217 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, Houston resident here. Looking at NYC for my next move in a year or two. Always been fascinated with NYC, ever since I was a teen.

Anyways, first, is the NYC metro area livable for a blue collar type? Someone not making six figures.

Anyone have an estimate of what the wages are for warehousing type jobs? I have a job with one of the national beverage distributors, which has several locations around NYC. Just wondering what the going wages are for that type of work. I am assuming the warehouses are union up north.

Also, would it be a huge pain to bring my vehicle? I have a truck. I am all for riding buses and the subways, but would still feel kind of stranded without at least having a vehicle parked outside. I know parking can be costly though.

Is it likely to find a reasonable priced place with a parking space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Most apartments here don't include parking places. Having a car is, for many people, a luxury. DO NOT move here without a job. Seriously.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Viralmd's recommendation is hereby seconded. This isn't a great place to come to without something in hand. As to the six figures...I wouldn't worry about that, speaking from personal experience. Most people who call NYC home aren't bringing in six figures.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Most apartments here don't include parking places. Having a car is, for many people, a luxury. DO NOT move here without a job. Seriously.
+1

Co-sign to the fullest.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
Hey guys, Houston resident here. Looking at NYC for my next move in a year or two. Always been fascinated with NYC, ever since I was a teen.

Anyways, first, is the NYC metro area livable for a blue collar type? Someone not making six figures.

Anyone have an estimate of what the wages are for warehousing type jobs? I have a job with one of the national beverage distributors, which has several locations around NYC. Just wondering what the going wages are for that type of work. I am assuming the warehouses are union up north.

Also, would it be a huge pain to bring my vehicle? I have a truck. I am all for riding buses and the subways, but would still feel kind of stranded without at least having a vehicle parked outside. I know parking can be costly though.

Is it likely to find a reasonable priced place with a parking space?
You want to live in NYC proper? Where are your company's locations? They could be in Jersey, in which case you would need a car.

You want to plan your housing around your job. Most pubic transportation is designed to get office workers into Manhattan. As that's not your situation, you want to place yourself carefully. For example, commuting from Queens to Jersey would be a pain and very expensive (in tolls).

Wages for blue collar work vary tremendously. I know some people who push six-figures with overtime. It all depends on the job and the union.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
RampageInAZ, here's a heads up for you: in New York City, "Houston", as in Houston Street, is pronounced "House-ton/Howston", not "Hew-ston/Heuston".

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 10-18-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
I might be able to help if you tell me what part of Houston you're moving from (to help you compare).

We just moved up from Houston in May ourselves.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
In parts of the outer boroughs, a car is easier to keep, especially Staten Island, Eastern Queens, and the Northern Bronx. However, it's not common to find parking with an apartment, and there's an extra charge for it as well. Street parking exists, but there are alternate side regulations in many areas where the car must be moved for street cleaning, a hassle if you do not commute by car during those hours.

If your potential job is in NJ, Long Island, Westchester, Rockland, or Connecticut, you are better off living in the suburbs, since you do not have to pay city income tax, which is assessed on a resident, regardless of the jurisdiction in which the income was earned. Don't worry, there are many ways to get to the city for leisure pursuits, so it's not a suburban wasteland with nothing to do during your off time.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City