U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,124 times

Advertisements

Any one knows anything about W. Bronx and Upper Manhattan? Care to share?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,713,650 times
That's a pretty vast area and question. Look through the forums to find information on areas like Washington Heights, Inwood, and Marble Hill in Manhattan. For the West Bronx, how far west are you seeking? Riverdale is along the river, then Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Village, Kingsbrige Heights, etc. It's a very broad question, so if you can be more specific, it's easier for people to give helpful answers.

Do you have a preferred rent range? That can help to direct you to the proper neighborhoods as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 PM

8 posts, read 20,124 times
Thanks BMW

I am looking anywhere from Upper Manhattan Morningside Heights especially, Washington/Inwoods, Riverdale W Bronx, I guess somewhere further north of Manhattan and not to east towards.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 31,015,093 times
Default The nicest part

of Inwood is north of Dyckman Street and west of B'way. North of inwood you have Marble Hill, Kingsbridge and Riverdale. Marble Hill is sketchy and not as nice as Kingsbridge. Kingsbridge is stable and less expensive than Riverdale but not as nice. East of Kingsbridge is K'bridge heights. this is the area surrounding the Jerome Park Reservoir. The heights is nicest around Van Cortlandt Village, but when you get past Ft Independence Place/Giles Place the area gets grittier and more sketchy

E of K'bridge Hts you are getting into Fordham/Bedford, an area that is rapidly declining. North of that you get into Bedford Park, an area that still has some nice blocks, but the general area is on the decline

Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM

318 posts, read 1,043,333 times
If money not an issue, I'd prefer the Fort Washington area of Washington Heights. I live in Bedford Park, and disagree with rlrl. I like this area too and it's definately improving. Architecture is similiar with good transportation access. It's also a a lot less expensive. I don't know Riverdale well but never really had the interest.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,015,093 times
Default pete

I like BP, I always bike through it, some nice blocks. On the news i saw something about how the area from the Concourse and 198 down to the KB armory was rapidly declining and people are afraid to go out at night now, which made me think that the general area could be on the decline

But the area from the GC to Webster, MP to BPB is still really nice

I stand corrected tho

Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,713,650 times
Like Inwood, the better streets in Kingsbridge are west of Broadway, and north of W231 St Street. Riverdale, itself, is a great area, and can get expensive, depending upon building and area. For an apartment, Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil are areas with larger numbers of buildings and are not that far from transportation (though the subway is on Broadway). North Riverdale, close to Yonkers, will have apartments in multi-family homes closer to the River, and closer to Van Cortlandt Park/Broadway (near the subway), there is a mix of multi-family homes to mid-size apartment buildings.

If not using the subway, Riverdale has express bus service to Manhattan (BxM1/BxM2/BxM18 routes), and Metro-North stops at the Spuyten Duyvil station and Riverdale station, with Hudson Railink buses that operate during peak hours to transport train passengers to various parts of the neighborhood.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM

731 posts, read 1,930,735 times
When I hear the West Bronx and Upper Manhattan mentioned together, I always think of one group, the Dominicans. They began settling in Upper Manhattan, only to move to the West Bronx afterwards. since the rents are rising in the Heights, many Dominicans are not only heading to Morris Heights, University Heights, and Highbridge, but also Kingsbridge, Norwood, Morrisania, and West Farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City