U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM

99 posts, read 156,323 times

Advertisements

Reading this article, I could not help but feel frustrated and angry on behalf of the city's small business owners and how they have been systematically victimized by the elitist elected officials for their social engineering throughout the city's history. It's as if any revenues generated by small businesses are simply a means to for financing these delusional politicians' social agendas.

Please note Bloomberg's sentiment that NYC is a "luxury city" that people have to pay for in order to have the privilege to do business in. Excuse me but who the hell does this jerk think he is to declare any piece of american land a luxury tool belonging to politicians as opposed to people?

So NYC-ers, is this article accurate? Is it really that bad there? The reason I'd like to know personally is that eventually I hope to live in NYC, but to see how the city treats businesses, it looks like the on principle I would not bring my enterprise with me. If the business climate is really like this, I would keep my enterprise in the business-friendly state that it's currently in and I'd simply live in NYC

Small Businesses to NYC: Get Off Our Backs! by Steven Malanga, City Journal Autumn 2009
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,712,853 times
The Manhattan Institute is a very right-wing organization. Consider the source.

New York is a very regulated place, and I'm sure that some regulations can and should be streamlined or eliminated. This author has an axe to grind and his conclusions are contradictory. If he favors deregulation and small business, why not favor the vegetable vendor? If the suppliers are getting parking tickets, it's because they're parked illegally. Anyone who takes the bus in the morning knows what a mess it is when a delivery truck is double parked on a narrow street (like Avenue B). Those people deserve to get tickets. If the clerks mislabel products the store deserves to get fined because they are likely cheating and over charging in consumer. Or perhaps no one should bother checking that?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM

9,413 posts, read 19,397,891 times
It's not just the little guy feeling the squeeze. Many banks and corporate firms have moved their offices to New Jersey over the last two decades. Jersey has offered them better incentives, cheaper real estate and lower taxes, while NYC continues to bleed them for every dollar. A lot of lower Manhattan office space has been converted to apartments or banks have been replaced with tech firms, law firms and nonprofits. Bloomberg is hoping that Brooklyn will be the new Jersey and that business' will take up residence there for cheaper rent, but the issue of tax burdens and no incentives still exists.

NYC is becoming a huge suburb, franchises and chain restaurants have replaced the mom and pop businesses. Just look at Times Square as an example of who NYC is catering to, and who they are trying to attract. Even in the outer boroughs I see 7-Eleven's and Dunkin Donuts replacing small family owned restaurants, deli's and cafe's. When Subway and Domino's can survive in NYC, you know it's a bad sign. Then you have the little guy getting killed with citations, taxes, rising utility costs, permits, and the random summons for some obscure rule, while corporations and franchises are seemingly unphased.

One really has to second guess whether or not it's worth being a small buinsess owner in that city any longer. Considering the long hours, hard work, health and tax codes, insurance, citations and all other costs, you're better off working as a civil servant in the Dept of Santitation or MTA.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:18 PM

922 posts, read 3,689,100 times
I agree with the anti-business sentiment in the city, both from government taxation and from many residents who feel that anything pro-business is by definition "right wing".

There are additional tax burdens that aren't even mentioned in the article, chief among them is the new "Mobility Tax" which is an extra payroll tax levied on all businesses and self-employed individuals. The extra tax on S Corporations is particularly onerous, because S Corps are charged an additional 8.85%, the same as C Corps.

Another thing that has the same effect as a tax is the recent installation of new computerized parking meters in commercial parking zones, which means that now every commercial vehicle must pay to park on the street during the day while conducting normal business like deliveries, on-site work etc.

I owned a business Upstate for 10 years. Just being in NYS was bad enough. I would never even think of owning a business here with all of the additional taxes, fees, regulations and harassment.

(sorry tpk-nyc, I normally agree with you, but not this time)

Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 AM

72 posts, read 202,552 times
This article is right wing, but not way off base. NYC is a city of handouts and they get the money from the hard working. But, some of the problems are logistics. You almost need to double park to make a delivery, but that shouldn't give you the right to hold up traffic, so tickets must be issued.

While there is no shortage of slumlords in this city, NYC also tends to side with deadbeat tenants and punishes legitimate landlords with fines, grandfathered rent control laws that are rampantly abused and controlled rent increases that are not in-line with the increased costs of both city controlled levies (i.e. higher taxes) and market expenses (heating oil). This make property ownership much less attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City