U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,718 times

Advertisements

after nearly a week of giving paperwork, taxes returns, credit check and providing a guarantor i was told that the $2200 per month manhattan apartment was mine. the real estate agent i worked with was a nice young man and when i first started working with him a couple of weeks ago he told me there was no fee for this apartment. so, i was surprised when i received an email from his office listing the certified checks i must bring for the lease signing. one for $2200 first month rent, one for $4400 two months security and one for $220 broker fee. it wasn't much. just 10% but still he had said there was no fee.

i met my agent this morning at the apartment, handed him the checks and he had me sign the lease. then he said there was a mistake. the fee was supposed to be $2200 not $220. i showed him the email and it was quite clear $220. i told him he had said there was no fee and he confirmed he told me that and wasn't sure why there was one now. he called the office and they said it was a mistake it wasn't $220 it was $2200. now they have the lease, my checks and are informing me i cannot have the apartment unless i give them the $2200 fee. is this legal? they picked over everything about my financial past; they left me no room for error and thankfully i had none. they made a mistake. i signed the lease they have my checks. what do i do? i want this apartment but this last minute fee. the mistaken amount. who can i call? thanks to anyone for help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,588,554 times
The usual fee is AT LEAST one month's rent...so it does sound like there was an error.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM

thanks. i know that's true. and that's why i asked before taking any action if there was a fee. i have since found out that the building is a rental building and the real estate agency told me it was a co-op being rented out by a private owner. now i'm finding out that the building may be paying the fee. which isn't uncommon so am i getting double dipped?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebubjones View Post
thanks. i know that's true. and that's why i asked before taking any action if there was a fee. i have since found out that the building is a rental building and the real estate agency told me it was a co-op being rented out by a private owner. now i'm finding out that the building may be paying the fee. which isn't uncommon so am i getting double dipped?
It makes NO sense for the building to be paying the fee. I've never heard of that in a co-op. And, in fact, most co-ops require the renter to be interviewed by the board IF they allow rentals at all! Co-ops don't throw money around like that - that fee would be paid by you OR by the shareholder of the apartment. The board wouldn't take on that burden.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 PM

thanks. points all taken. just got off the phone with the agency. they offered a discount $1500 fee which is a savings (had i known about it) of $700. so i'm going with it. thanks for your answers. and obvious knowledge and experience. cheers.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM

111 posts, read 362,473 times
Well, they should honor what they said and charge you $220. Otherwise, I would definitely not rent the property. No way to conduct business and you were shown an early sign of what the people are like.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM

23,928 posts, read 38,058,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It makes NO sense for the building to be paying the fee. I've never heard of that in a co-op. And, in fact, most co-ops require the renter to be interviewed by the board IF they allow rentals at all! Co-ops don't throw money around like that - that fee would be paid by you OR by the shareholder of the apartment. The board wouldn't take on that burden.
100% true

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City