Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixielandBelle View Post
it is boring and unfortuantely people judge you if you are 35 and not married..... sad but true! I have a boyfriend but we are in no rush to get married and I know that this might be the only time that it would be feasible to make this change.

Thats one of the reasons I left Ohio! I have no desire to be married or have kids at this point in my life. I am only 23. All, and i mean ALL of my friends are engaged or married back home. Not for me!

Don't worry if you have that kind of attitude I think you will fit right in.

There are tons of people even older than you who arnt married and tons who are single too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 04:14 PM

68 posts, read 199,096 times
when moving anywhere you have to be realistic....there will be ppl who are tolerant and ppl who aren't regardless if you initiate your views or defend your views....

it's unrealistic to think that everybody can be happy everywhere because you cannot pls everybody.....even in nyc as diverse as it is.....

nyc is the type of place that embraces change, diversity and tolerance .... a real nyc'er is someone who let's you be whomever and whatever you want .....and doesn't even "suggest" you to consider other ways......because everybody is in such a rush to do their thing...you won't find that a true nyc'er will even make the time to stick their nose in your business........most of these qualities ARE liberal......that's why nyc has a liberal reputation.....

but you say that you are from the south......things ARE different there....you have to explain yourself alot there. mostly, i believe that the "one's in charge" have different rules and laws that would not fly too well in nyc or with nyc'ers .......

blogs and posts are ment to express views and opinions , hence the purpose of them........but when you move anywhere you want to assimilate to THEIR ways or else you will be running against the grain which will cause you or anybody to be unhappy. BUT, if you handle your differences in a liberal/democratic way (which matches nyc) then you will be fine. and that's not babble that's just a fact of life....

unfortunately, i didn't find this to be the case in more conservative areas even when i flew under the radar, minded my own business and kept to myself (which are very liberal traits).

but in nyc you should not encounter this because it has a history and reputation for being liberal....

Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM

111 posts, read 392,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixielandBelle View Post
Hey ya'll,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond ! I really appreciate any and all opinions because I am getting some true insight about NYC.

I am proud of my southern heritage and beliefs but at the same time, I would never try to change another's beliefs , opinions , etc by imposing my own. I am quite aware that NYC is very culturally diverse and that is probably one of the main reasons that I would like to move there. I never meet a stranger and can get along with anyone regardless of their political views, etc as long as there is "mutual respect " involved. I find NYC so exciting and interesting because one person is different than next. I love Birmingham and my job, but to be honest ...it is boring and unfortuantely people judge you if you are 35 and not married..... sad but true! I have a boyfriend but we are in no rush to get married and I know that this might be the only time that it would be feasible to make this change.

Thank you all again, and I hope to read more of your views and opinions on this topic!

Fondly,
DixielandBelle

You definitely sound like the kind of person who would enjoy New York on a personal level. Now, it sounds like the big decision is professional and the costs involved.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 PM

218 posts, read 741,536 times
Well, you stated that you already have a boyfriend, so it's not like you'd be moving to NYC in search of a "southern gentleman" or anything, as you have your significant other already. In that case, it just becomes a question of if NYC has enough things to offer you culturally that you'd enjoy. Just think about it, and make sure that it's something that you and yours want.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
As a Southerner, many NYers will stereotype you as a hillbilly. At the very least, you will be considered the product of an intellectually backwards region and "redneck culture".

That being said, you won't be subject to overt rudeness, but expect some mild condescension.

Then again, your neighbors in Birmingham probably have stereotypical impressions of NYers.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
As a Southerner, many NYers will stereotype you as a hillbilly. At the very least, you will be considered the product of an intellectually backwards region and "redneck culture".

That being said, you won't be subject to overt rudeness, but expect some mild condescension.

Then again, your neighbors in Birmingham probably have stereotypical impressions of NYers.
Oh no....that is terrible! So most NYer's think people from the South are hillbillies? I will admit that we have our fair share of rednecks but not all of us marry our cousins ,drink Budweiser for breakfast and use a rebel flag as home decor but then again what city doesn't have "rednecks"?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:44 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times
Yeah, get used to people assuming Birmingham has 12 people in it and that you're all related.

We moved from Houston (pop. 5,600,000) and I get people all the time asking me what it's like to live in such a huge city now. I get that NYC is massive and larger than Houston, but it's not like we moved here from a farm in the middle of the state. You'll get the same thing. Also, don't expect people to ask a lot of questions about Birmingham, Alabama, or the south in general. They seriously couldn't care less up here. (I happen to think that's a good thing, but you might not).

Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
People are too busy here to get into judging each other's politics.

As for cost of living, I would look at this web site to translate costs:
City of New York Cost of Living Calculator. New York--New York Relocation Calculator & Index.

I don't know what goes into it, and I don't know much about Birmingham, but you'll be surprised what it spits out.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post

I definitely have to agree with that!!!! Expect some sneering when people hear your accent until they get to know you personally. Just like people from the south may have a stereotyped view of loud, pushy, in-your-face New Yorkers, New York City residents will view southerners as characters from Hee Haw and The Beverly Hillybillies, let alone Jeff Foxworthy jokes. To be honest, your accent could possibly affect the outcome of job interviews unless the interviewer has had some experience with the south.

You may also get a little homesick for biscuits and gravy and chess pie. No one in New York will even know what that is. People here can be nice and friendly, but do not expect southern politeness or for gentlemen to hold doors for you and pull out your chair. I think your biggest obstacle will mostly be working out your financial arrangements. No one here will judge you at all for being over 30 and unmarried.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM

68 posts, read 199,096 times
yes nyc is diverse and tolerant......it's the personality of nyc and most major cities ...otherwise nyc would still be another Five Points! nyc has, of course, evolved since then fortunately!

you have to have mutual respect in nyc.....it's mandatory. but, unfortunately, again and realistically everyone has their version of mutual respect, and this causes problems...

my experience in nyc has always been positive for my expectations. they don't seem to care what background a person comes from as long as you don't change the personality of the city, change their dynamics, adn change their way. if a person or group with different personalities or archetypes begins bullying the infrastructure of nyc (or anywhere else) even out of "mutual respect" well that's just asking for trouble. that would be like a nyc'er moving to alabama ....saying that they are diverse and have respect but yet, behaviorial-wise, "suggesting" that things should be more like "home" (nyc). NYC IS mostly liberal adn actions like that would make all the liberals more distrusting of ppl trying to change there home. the same with anyother place. try to convince the general populace of alabama to accept what nyc'ers live with every day.
well soon after alot of migration , alabama would be nyc and nyc would be alabama. maybe that's why they do it?

so until america is evolved enough to truly coexist with each other without thwarting change .....even very subtely......it will always be segregated.....liberal against conservative and conservative against liberal... but for now one has to be realistic and objective...which isn't easy.. we all would have to take a look in the mirror everytime we see or hear something we disagree with....

what i like about nyc'ers is that they will tell you like it is.....they are real ppl. so if you are troublemaking person moving into nyc to "change" things, they will put that person in their place......unlike outside the city where some ppl will just sabotage your life behind the scenes. So, what i'm saying is that you can voice your opinion there freely becasue it's nyc without any consequences, but if you set out to change them.....well that's a differnet story. they have to keep the city this way because most immigrants land in nyc for freedom.....in their own views.....whether it religious, political, cultural, whatever. that means that nyc has to have a culture that has an "understanding" or , again, it becomes another 5 Points. Conservatives are known to dislike change and i think that is why their culture runs against the grain in nyc. it does not mean they cannot survive, but conservatives would have to develop "adapting to change" skills without forcing others to adapt to them. I'm sure there are exceptions. there always are.

so with all of this said.........it's not whether a southern belle can make it.....like anyother culture......it's whether or not ANY culture can adapt to the "lifestyle" of nyc! if it can then yes it can survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City