Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,724 times

Advertisements

Can i bring items such as hockey sticks, baseball bats, tennis rackets, backpacks, a knife, a bike etc. onto the subway in nyc? Maybe it would be easier to tell me what i can't bring on? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You can bring a bicycle on the subway, just follow the guidelines. This is from the MTA's website: Bike Safety Rules

This is a general description of subway rules, also from the MTA's website: Subway Rules

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,724 times
Thanks for the link i saw it said no bulky items, but they allow bicycles so would a full backpack or a hockey stick be considered bulky?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I have seen both on the trains, so I would think that it's how you handle it. If you carry an item and keep it close to your body, it's not interfering with others on the train, so I don't see that it would violate the rules. On the other hand, building materials, would tend to be violating the rules since they're not easy to keep from interfering with others.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Thanks for the link i saw it said no bulky items, but they allow bicycles so would a full backpack or a hockey stick be considered bulky?

Ugh i feel like alot of times i wish this applied to shopping bags. So many times have i seen people with 10 million shopping bags and 2 back packs all on the seat while on the other side they are studying a map. Especially during rush hour this is so annoying

Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Official MTA policy: if it's big enough to cause inconvenience to other passengers, you're not supposed to bring it onto the trains. (As a matter of fact, not only is that the official policy, it's also common sense...but everyone knows just how far that'll get you!)

Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Official MTA policy: if it's big enough to cause inconvenience to other passengers, you're not supposed to bring it onto the trains. (As a matter of fact, not only is that the official policy, it's also common sense...but everyone knows just how far that'll get you!)
It's unfortunate many people do not follow the policy. I've been on trains where people have bought in bicycles, sheets of plywood, furniture, etc. and just stand right by the door - don't even attempt to move out of the way for people.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
The rule for knives is that it must be 100% concealed, so if it has a pocket clip, do not allow the clip to be showing, or you could be faced with a heavy fine and confiscation. Keep it in a backpack or buried deep in your pocket. If you wear long shirts or jackets that cover your pocket you should be ok, I believe anything up to a 4" blade is legal for folding knives. I'm not sure if you're allowed to carry a fixed blade or not.

While you can bring bikes on the subway, you won't be winning any popularity contests by dragging one on during peak hours. Same with big bulky backpacks strapped to your back, keep it off your back and between your feet.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
leave your pet llama at home when riding the subway

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I once saw someone (try) to bring a windsurfing board on the 6 Train at 5:00 on a Friday. It was a ridiculous this to do, and I doubt if he ever made it on the train, but no one stopped him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City