Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times

Advertisements

You don't seriously want to commute by CAR from NJ to Manhattan, do you? Mass transit is, by far, the better option, in terms of both your wallet and your sanity.

You must be REALLY attached to that car to want to keep it. In NYC it's really possible to live without one. Easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 PM

102 posts, read 261,023 times
Look into Washington Heights and Upper Riverside Drive. I lived there had a car and loved it. You can get a 1br for $1500-1700 and paying for parking isn't necessary. If you look into the outer boroughs i would suggest Riverdale, Park Slope and Forest Hills. Another great alternative is to rent a home in Staten Island, you have a car.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
You can't be serious about driving to midtown to work everyday. Where are you going to put it while you are at work?

Why don't you store the car for a while with a trusted relative until you know what you want to do with it or until you know for sure that you will be living in NY/NJ for an extended period of time?

The accessability of keeping a car in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, etc. will depend on the neighborhood and street parking vs. paid parking spot. It is not always easy to keep a car in the outer boroughs either.

Keep in mind that everything is more expensive in Manhattan. Not just rent and taxes. A cup of coffee in a Manhattan Starbucks is more money than in a Brooklyn Starucks. A meal at Applebees in Manhattan is more than the same meal in Brooklyn or NJ. Add a couple of bucks to that McDonald's Value Meal. Groceries, the laundromat, and gas will be higher too. If you live in NJ, you will still have to pay some NYC taxes just for working there. Your gas/electric bill is going to be higher. It all adds up. I would agree that you did get a pay cut.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 PM

185 posts, read 647,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Yes. for some people it's Manhattan or bust, and they will be frugal in other areas to pay the rent, others prefer to have more cushion and move to boroughs or NJ.

Astoria is very popular and charming. I wouldn't like Newport, either, I'm not a big Jersey City fan. Hoboken is much cuter if you're considering NJ. Astoria and Hoboken are equidistant from Manhattan, ie, right across the river with quick subway transport.

You might want to look further north in Manhattan, like Inwood or Washington Heights if you're in Manhattan or bust mode but want to save some money.
Yeah if you must stay in Manhattan and make a decent salary check out hudson heights (aka washington heights west of Broadway) a 'hidden gem' spectacular pre war apts, fantastic architecture, or maybe park terrace area in Inwood for example. If you don't need to stay in Manhattan then there are many neighborhoods to consider, forest hills, dumbo, Long Island City, depending on your interests and $.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
My wife and I recently moved to Greenpoint Brooklyn, since the economy tanked, many of the brand new condos built were converted into Apartments and we got a great deal. Indoor Garage parking is only $150 per month. The G train isn't bad at all during rush hour and a short cab ride from the city after a night of drinking. Half of my building are new residents to this area, I can see from the various out of state license plates. Us newbies from out of state are too reluctant to give up our cars at first but eventually will after seeing that we hardly drive and the price of insurance.

Check out Long Island City Queens on the waterfront, fairly new buildings, cheaper than Manhattan with available parking. Short ride on the #7 subway to midtown too.

Not trying to dissuade you from Manhattan but for $2,000, you can get parking and a nicer apartment with more space in JC, BK, or Queens. Good Luck!

Last edited by latikeriii; 10-26-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 PM

328 posts, read 885,963 times

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
My wife and I recently moved to Greenpoint Brooklyn, since the economy tanked, many of the brand new condos built were converted into Apartments and we got a great deal. Indoor Garage parking is only $150 per month. The G train isn't bad at all during rush hour and a short cab ride from the city after a night of drinking. Half of my building are new residents to this area, I can see from the various out of state license plates. Us newbies from out of state are too reluctant to give up our cars at first but eventually will after seeing that we hardly drive and the price of insurance.

Check out Long Island City Queens on the waterfront, fairly new buildings, cheaper than Manhattan with available parking. Short ride on the #7 subway to midtown too.

Not trying to dissuade you from Manhattan but for $2,000, you can get parking and a nicer apartment with more space in JC, BK, or Queens. Good Luck!
I think these are good suggestions, esp. because OP did not like Astoria because of the old architecture. Williamsburg Brooklyn may be full of new condos for rent as well.

$150 a month for garage parking is a great deal. And Greenpoint is a nice neighborhood - sounds like you guys did well!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,611 times
Yeah, if you work in NJ and pay NJ income tax rate and the NYC resident tax, it works out to 7.5% effective using NJ's ridiculous number of layered marginal tax rates.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
In NYC, well Manhattan more than anything, the price is generally about location not the apartment itself. So you can be paying a ridiculous rent for a small old apartment. With your salary you can buy a place reasonably close in the outer boroughs or Jersey.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestlequik View Post
Look into Washington Heights and Upper Riverside Drive. I lived there had a car and loved it. You can get a 1br for $1500-1700 and paying for parking isn't necessary. If you look into the outer boroughs i would suggest Riverdale, Park Slope and Forest Hills. Another great alternative is to rent a home in Staten Island, you have a car.
Parking on the street wears on you after a while. It can be a real annoyance and really stress you out. Especially if your tired and you find yourself driving around for a long time looking for a spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City