Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

All packages get sent to the office. My credit card is even registered there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
All packages get sent to the office. My credit card is even registered there
Mercy. I don't even go that far.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
LMAO! Well if you ever watch Law & Order (the original series),
Quote:
the doormen are the most nosiest people around.
They know everything about the tenants: what type of lifestyle they live, when they go and come and so on. I don't like the idea of people knowing my goings and comings like that.

The other thing that bothers me is if he doesn't feel like you tip him enough, that can be a real pain if you really need something done. There's always politics with everything, and I don't see the whole doorman setup being any different.
You're not keeping up with the news. Your doorman, Felix or Rodrigo, is NOT the nosiest person around, it is the NHA, NHS, CIA, Homeland Security, IRS., Verizon, Google, Time Warner..and on and on.
Your doorman cares no more about your private life than you care about the private life of the security guard at the door of your office building. Do you know his name?

I've had doormen since 1987...they are not to be feared. Think of them as "shared butlers" who are there only to help you. Some of them you might be able to trust more than a cheating spouse.

Somebody walks into the building with a gun? Maybe your doorman will notice?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You're not keeping up with the news. Your doorman, Felix or Rodrigo, is NOT the nosiest person around, it is the NHA, NHS, CIA, Homeland Security, IRS., Verizon, Google, Time Warner..and on and on.
Your doorman cares no more about your private life than you care about the private life of the security guard at the door of your office building. Do you know his name?

I've had doormen since 1987...they are not to be feared. Think of them as "shared butlers" who are there only to help you. Some of them you might be able to trust more than a cheating spouse.

Somebody walks into the building with a gun? Maybe your doorman will notice?
Heh, if doormen are anywhere near as obnoxious as the security in my office building I'll pass. Those men gossip worse than women and are beyond unprofessional aside from with those who they feel like being bothered with. Then again they have nothing else better to do anyway. Why would doormen be any different?

I came to my office recently off hours to get something and the security guard on duty was asleep. I think I could watch over most of them better than they could watch over me.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
So I ask again...do you known the names of your security guards?

But I agree, security guards are an obnoxious bunch...probably people drummed out of police careers or the military with a chip on their shoulders.
Doormen can be sweethearts, usually useless but sometimes wonderful.

I once ran a tachycardia that was almost immeasurable...approaching 200- 250 BPM (couldn't count that fast.). I took some valium and some beta-blockade and went downstairs to sit with my doorman and I told him if I fell to the floor call an ambulance. I recovered and went back upstairs...I bought him a bottle of Beefeater's.

Without a doorman things might have been dicey that day

Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM

431 posts, read 659,273 times
I have my packages sent to my job. Doormen are very nosey.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So I ask again...do you known the names of your security guards?

But I agree, security guards are an obnoxious bunch...probably people drummed out of police careers or the military with a chip on their shoulders.
Doormen can be sweethearts, usually useless but sometimes wonderful.

I once ran a tachycardia that was almost immeasurable...approaching 200- 250 BPM (couldn't count that fast.). I took some valium and some beta-blockade and went downstairs to sit with my doorman and I told him if I fell to the floor call an ambulance. I recovered and went back upstairs...I bought him a bottle of Beefeater's.

Without a doorman things might have been dicey that day
LOL@Usually useless. That is so true! There are tons of them all along the Upper West Side. The ones along Central Park West are especially fun to watch. All replicas of one another in their own right. I know the names of a few of them but some of them have been fired for their unprofessional behavior so I don't really mingle with them unless I have to.

The less I see of them the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
I have my packages sent to my job. Doormen are very nosey.
You're telling me... Unless you're tipping them, if you visit a friend too often, they can get tired of you rather quickly. I have a few friends that live in Manhattan that have doormen and I personally could see myself getting rather tired of them pretty fast. Luckily for me I don't visit those friends that often at their apartments.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 23,199 times
Get it delivered to your job (if its not too big of a package) and if you are friendly with your company's mail room people. Or have it delivered to a friend who lives near by. You can trade a favor, like taking care of their plants or something when they are on vacay.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Or AMAZON LOCKER.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I was surprised to see the UPS guy let himself into our building the other day with his own key. Not unhappy (it means my packages get left in front of my door when I'm not home, which is just the way I like it) but definitely surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City