Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM

582 posts, read 763,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
is it really that important which way it faces though? I'd be more concerned about my quality of life than what's outside my window.

I am not really concerned about what is outside my window. I meant getting sunlight in the apt means spending more money. the other studio that faces the back yard is dark so it is cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
is it really that important which way it faces though? I'd be more concerned about my quality of life than what's outside my window.

My apartment faces back and me and my boyfriend have so much fun watching the neighbors across the ally

I also get tons of sun tho...I am not sure why facing back would make you get any less sun...

Last edited by LadyR1990; 11-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: i forgot

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
you guys keep saying Astoria.. go to Graigslist and see how much is it for a studio in Astoria? the SAME price. My studio in Manhattan is 1200 + 100 utilities. In Astoria, it is 1000-1100 + 100 utilities + 100 subway.
Are you saying your new apartment (if you take it) is in walking distance to your job? And that's why you don't need to budget for a metrocard?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Henna. it is in walking distance. I was planning on walking when there is no snow.
Ohiogirl. it is dark becasue what I can see from the back of the building is just another wall. that is why it is cheap. ( no sunlight). so it is a 100 dollars less.

so if the studio that gets sunllght is for 1200+ 100 utilities =1300, the other one is 1100+100= 1200. plus it is in walking distance.. pretty much similar to Astoria prices if you take a closer look.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Henna. it is in walking distance. I was planning on walking when there is no snow.
Ohiogirl. it is dark becasue what I can see from the back of the building is just another wall. that is why it is cheap. ( no sunlight). so it is a 100 dollars less.

so if the studio that gets sunllght is for 1200+ 100 utilities =1300, the other one is 1100+100= 1200. plus it is in walking distance.. pretty much similar to Astoria prices if you take a closer look.
$1,200 is a lot for astoria...that doesn't seem right.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:

I really can't understand how there can be NO sunglight at all. Less I can understand but NONE? I mean the sky is above right? When I look out my bathroom tiny tiny window I can touch the wall across the way yet there is still some light since there is no roof over the ally...I mean it may not be HUGE south facing bay windows but there still have to be some kind of light preaking throug.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
I have to tell you that I did the math several times. the difference is something similar to your number ( something like 100- 150 dollars a month).it is not that big difference.

the manhattan studio is front facing but if I take another studio that faces the back, it is 100 dollars less.
I also wanted to say...if you spend your money right & smart, $100-$150 can go a long way.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I really can't understand how there can be NO sunglight at all. Less I can understand but NONE? I mean the sky is above right? When I look out my bathroom tiny tiny window I can touch the wall across the way yet there is still some light since there is no roof over the ally...I mean it may not be HUGE south facing bay windows but there still have to be some kind of light preaking throug.

the problem is it is a high building. the walls are high. the studios are on the first or second floor. so you don't get any sun light. you get sunlight from the back only if it is a higher floor ( 5th and 6th).
I am not saying there is NO light at all. yes it gets some light but there is no sunlight. really.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My apartment faces back and me and my boyfriend have so much fun watching the neighbors across the ally

I also get tons of sun tho...I am not sure why facing back would make you get any less sun...
that would be fun, Ohiogirl. I wish I could find something like that.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
I'm not really sure you have your priorities straight because you say that you want to keep the gym to socialize, but then say having a social life is not important to you right now. Then you say being able to save $100-$150/month extra is not that big of a deal for you? I would think that is a pretty decent amount considering your income, but that could just be me?

My advice if you give up the studio, take your mindset out of Manhattan and consider Queens. Open up your options and have a open-mind. As I mentioned before, my friend passed on a studio in Astoria that was asking $800 and has a private full bath and kitchen - but it was in the basement with windows. But Astoria is only one option. If you don't want to be in a basement, then you might consider a share 2-bedroom in Queens/Bklyn, where most likely you will pay less than $1,000. I have even seen 2-bedrooms in Forest Hills going for $1,800 so your share would be $900 (or possibly $1,000 with utilities). Still better than $1,300/month in Manhattan.

Next, seriously consider changing gyms. Not give it up, but change to a less expensive one. NYSC, Ballys, and Lucille Roberts, are all cheaper than Equinox. I've been to a Equinox, and yes it is nicer and cleaner and they give you slippers for the showers, but in your position - you should be more concerned with saving the extra $100.

By moving out to Queens and changing gyms, you can possibly save any extra $200-$300/month. This can go towards savings or having a social life outside of a gym.

You can definitely cut your cable cost and watch basic TV, then get a basic DSL plan from Verizon for around $20/month and you can watch TV shows online. Almost all shows that are on non-premium channels are available online within 24-48hrs of showing.

You have to open up to more options and as others have already said, living paycheck-to-paycheck will eventually lead to disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City