Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM

582 posts, read 763,473 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

I bring home 2200 dollars a month ( after taxes and everything). I have been in a shared situation in UES. It was great because the rent was $ 810 a month. I am a single female and I don't spend that much. now, I have to move out and I have been looking for studios on UES. I got approved for a studio for 1300 including all the utilities and electricty.

my monthly expenses will be like this:

1300 rent + utilities
400 food
90 metro card monthly ( only when it is cold, my work is not that far and I can walk when it is nice).
90 internet + cable+ phone. ( I will get that from Verizon).
20 cleaning supplies for the apt
142 gym membership
180 personal hygiene + laundry+ hair and makeup if needed.( not sure if that would be enough so advice from ladies would be much appreciated).

Now, I know that I am missing clothing. is there anything else I am missing? and of course, I am not saving anything here.
Maybe I will try to look for a part time job.

I really hope this will work. Oh, I know some of you might say that I don't need to pay that much for a gym. But I love that clean nice gym and it is the only place where I socialize.

my other optionwould be living in a women residence on UWS where I will have a small room for 600 a month with no kitchen. to be honest, it is quiet depressing there.

your thoughts? thanks. much appreciated.

Last edited by safina1; 11-05-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
your food wont be that expensive, unless you eat out a lot.

and various taxes will bring your verizon bill closer to $150.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

thanks
I don't need a TV then. I pay now about 53 for my cell phone from AT&T and 30 dollars for verizon. I thought if I get cable , phone and internet from verizon, it will be cheaper for me.

am I missing something ?? is this realistic?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
You can probably do without a land line and save yourself $30/month. I only use a cell and have no house phone since I never use it. Unless you need it because of the DSL, it would probably be cheaper to use your cell.

$150/month is a lot for a gym - is that at a Equinox? They are nice but if it's only for socializing, you can probably do that cheaper at the park or a starbucks/barnes & noble. Since you'll be in the UES, you can probably use the park and go jogging to stay in shape. No idea on the feminine products so $180 it is, but I do my laundry in my building, which can be about $6 every 2 weeks and maybe spend about another $40/month at the cleaners.

And you can definitely cut down on the food costs if you cook at home more often. No way do I spend $400/month on groceries, but then again i don't cook much

Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Hi guys.

180 personal hygiene + laundry+ hair and makeup if needed.( not sure if that would be enough so advice from ladies would be much appreciated).

I really think thats a little much...After living in the city were the toilet isnt as "strong" as the one we had in ohio I've learned to use a lot less toilet paper. I buy a 4 pack and it lasts me like 2 weeks. And really how much make up do you need! I replace my make up when it runs out. Do you wear a mask every day. You would be surpised how much stuff you can conserve if you really try.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM

thanks so much. ) I mean by personal hygiene, toothpaste. hand sanitizer, toilet paper, pads, cotton, soap, laundry detergent, maybe body lotions or creams. I usually buy from bed bath and beyond so it is not expensive. I don't wear make up often.
yes, the gym is Equinox. It is more about getting in shape, meeting new people and really enjoy my time. I consider it as the only luxury I allow myself to. maybe I will cancel it to save 140. as you see, my budget will be very tight. no money for any entertainment.

I don't have a landline. I only use my cell phone.so do you guys think I will have some extra money for clothes?

what do you think?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
my monthly expenses will be like this:

1300 rent + utilities
400 food
90 metro card monthly ( only when it is cold, my work is not that far and I can walk when it is nice).
90 internet + cable+ phone. ( I will get that from Verizon).
20 cleaning supplies for the apt
142 gym membership
Your food budget as a single person should be about $200/mo... even less if you use coupons.

Gym membership isn't really a necessity

$180 for personal hygiene, etc? Too much... laundry should run you about $30/mo, toiletries maybe $40/mo if you're using specialty items. I don't know if you do "hair and the mani/pedi" thing so I can't account for that.

The $90 triple play deal from Verizon Fios is misleading. Make sure to check all that fine print. I've heard from people that there are a lot of added charges and your $90 deal turns into $150. Look into Time Warner cable.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM

well, 400 is the MAX. for food. providing that I might need to buy multivitamins or supplement. sometimes, I feel like I wish I could buy organic but I will cut that out.

Now, anyone has cable, cell and internet all in one bill from Verizon? how much do you pay for a basic plan? it was 90 dollars a month in the ad. I don't know if I will need TV because I am out of the apt most of the time but again I will be alone so a TV will be nice. I pay 50 for my cell and 30 for internet separate bills. I thought I could get all in one bill for 90 dollars and it will be nice.

what do you think? thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 PM

how do you get coupons for food?? I spend more than 800 a month now on food because I eat out ( but that is because my rent is cheap and I have extra money. I will have to be more discplined when I get my apt but never thought it would be 200 for a single person.

where do you go to buy cheap vegetables and fruits? the problem is I don't buy junk which is cheap. always healthy food is expensive.

anyway, what do you think about the rent? I have been looking since last Aug and I am really tired of looking. I could not find anything less than 1250 without utilities.

should I try the room in the UWS??

Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
No,this is not a realistic expense plan at all because there is a fatally flawed assumption at it's base....that you can afford 1,300 in rent.

I don't think anyone with a take home salary of $2,200/mo can realistically expect to live alone in Manhattan.You need to find another share situation or give up on the torture and deprivation that comes with the trap of feeling like you must,absolutely must live in Manhattan( UES no less).

This is a big mistake that a lot of non native NY'ers make.... putting themselves in the position of being absolutely dead ass rent poor.It's bad enough when you are doing it but the negative financial ramifications keep snowballing as time goes by until you reach a certain age and realize what a big mistake and waste of money it all was.

Never,ever spend more than 25%( less is better) on rent.It's just not a financially sound thing to do.The difference between what you can actually afford in rent( maybe 800) and what you are propopsing to spend( 1300) should go to savings and making your life more comfortable and enjoyable.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-05-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City