Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 66,545 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am taking a traveling RN position at children's hospital Montefiore in the Bronx. I will only be in NY for 8 wks. My agency houses us in one of 3 locations. I am trying to assess which one is the safest, how long the work commute would be. The last time I lived in NY was in 98 and I was stuck in Manhasset, although I visited the city a few times. The last 10 yrs I lived in santa monica, california with my most current residence being Austin TX. I definitely wont be taking a car either.

The options available are:
1. Metropolis studios 107-11 E 102nd St, NYNY 10029 (I am guessing east harlem)

2. Independence Apts 3855 Orloff Ave, Bronx NY 10463 (pretty much ruling this one out)

3. Hudson Park 1 alexander Yonkers NY 10701. (photo's look nice but seems far away).

Any info (groceries, restaurants, fluff and folds, metro's) would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Why are you shooting yourself in the foot by "pretty much ruling out" your best option ?

Orloff Avenue is much nicer, cleaner and safer than E Harlem.I suggest you do a google maps street view. It is very close to Montefiore( 10 or 15 min walk) and only a few blocks from the subway ay 238 st.Depending on the weather,you should be able to walk to Montefiore.It is also right next to one of the biggest and most beautiful parks in the city.

The neighborhood it is in is called Van Cortlandt Village.It is probably also the best neighborhood in terms of shopping and other amenities.

I hope you have some reason for ruling it out other than that it happens to be in The Bronx because that would be a mistake.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieRN View Post
Hi everyone!

I am taking a traveling RN position at children's hospital Montefiore in the Bronx. I will only be in NY for 8 wks. My agency houses us in one of 3 locations. I am trying to assess which one is the safest, how long the work commute would be. The last time I lived in NY was in 98 and I was stuck in Manhasset, although I visited the city a few times. The last 10 yrs I lived in santa monica, california with my most current residence being Austin TX. I definitely wont be taking a car either.

The options available are:
1. Metropolis studios 107-11 E 102nd St, NYNY 10029 (I am guessing east harlem)

2. Independence Apts 3855 Orloff Ave, Bronx NY 10463 (pretty much ruling this one out)

3. Hudson Park 1 alexander Yonkers NY 10701. (photo's look nice but seems far away).

Any info (groceries, restaurants, fluff and folds, metro's) would be greatly appreciated!

This is what I mean about new comers to NYC. As much as I don't want it to get to me, it sickens me that people (who don't know squat about NYC except for Manhattan) just never want to have anything to do with the Bronx. They still act as if the Bronx is war-torn Iraq or abandoned Detroit. Anyway, that is probably your best option. Its a very nice neighborhood near one of the most beautiful parks in NYC like the poster above me said.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Hey that's ok...that leaves more room for everyone else who is moving here. Besides, after the gross amoutn of money for a cramped apt finally sinks in, all of a sudden the Bronx becomes more viable. Everyone comes to the reality that the Bronx is the wisest choice in their own time, some sonner, some later. But either way, they all realize it at some point.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Excellent, and this is why newcomers rely on the vast knowledge of those who live, work and breathe the areas we are interested in. I don't know anything about the bronx except the highrise projects I could view off of 95 during my weekly commute to Stamford from Livingston NJ. That was in 1998. I have no idea if the neighborhood is sound. I do know that I have to commute at 6:15-6:30 am to work and 8pm at night. With that being said, I want to make sure my walk to public transportation is as safe as possible. I was leaning toward 102nd street because it was closer to Manhattan. A 10 minute walk to work would definitely be preferable. Its been 12 years since I have been on the east coast and I am excited to return. Even if my lack of knowledge sickened you. I've missed that east coast directness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
This is what I mean about new comers to NYC. As much as I don't want it to get to me, it sickens me that people (who don't know squat about NYC except for Manhattan) just never want to have anything to do with the Bronx. They still act as if the Bronx is war-torn Iraq or abandoned Detroit. Anyway, that is probably your best option. Its a very nice neighborhood near one of the most beautiful parks in NYC like the poster above me said.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hey that's ok...that leaves more room for everyone else who is moving here. Besides, after the gross amoutn of money for a cramped apt finally sinks in, all of a sudden the Bronx becomes more viable. Everyone comes to the reality that the Bronx is the wisest choice in their own time, some sonner, some later. But either way, they all realize it at some point.
psst, its on their dime, not mine. I love living for free.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Its only for 8 weeks, so it really shouldn't matter where you live. If it were me, as an intelligent, attractive, friendly, well mannered young man, I would choose the East Harlem address as I would spend the bulk of my free time tearing up the city. However, this may or may not be your intentions.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Van Cortlandt Village is really a very nice neighborhood.
There is a bus route ( BX 10) that goes from Norwood( Montefiore) to Riverdale and it would bring you almost door to door in either direction if you felt uncomfortable walking late or in bad weather. It takes about 12 or 15 mins from Montefiore to Sedgwick Ave.
Make the google Street View your friend to check out neighborhoods.It's not a real alternative to in person but it gives you a good idea.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...x/bx010cur.pdf

Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM

thanks bluedog and sobroguy. I just check commute times as well. yonkers and east harlem commutes via public transportation would take 30-45 minutes. Thats 1-2hrs a day four days a week. Thats a max of 8 hrs a week of my exploring, sleeping photoging time. Hmm... what to do. Have you heard anything about the hospital itself? Now watch, I will go and do all this research and I will end up taking the assignment in washington dc instead! LOL. Oh well, if I end up there, I don't choose residences, they place me in a residence inn. I do appreciate your comments.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM

I just googled and Street Viewed the Alexander ave location and it is actually in a great neighborhood just over the city line from Woodlawn.It is really practically part of Woodlawn . Nice,nice neighborhood but not walkable to Montefiore or to the Woodlawn subway stop.You would have to take a bus to either although there is a bus run by Montefiore from Woodlawn to the hospital because so many hospital people live there.
Lots of shopping,restaurants pubs,etc on McLean and Katonah Avenues.

Of your 3 choices,this is by far the safest if that is your primary concern.
Next safest is Orloff Avenue... and it is definitely the most convenient to work and has a lot of shopping and other amenities nearby.
102 St an Lex looks OK but not that great and especially as someone not from NY you might find it a little edgy.It is definitely the most convenient to mid town though as SobroGuy pointed out.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-05-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City